• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best comic shops in Virginia

47 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jeranimal said:

From their website

Well I'm happy to report that Victory Comics did have the best inventory of back issues that I've seen in the Northern Virginia area - which isn't say a whole lot - but I was pretty impressed!  They had new books, statues, posters, TPBs, Omnibuses, oversized Artists Editions, and back issues.  Their back issue selection was pretty impressive and their prices were reasonable.  Lots of bronze and silver age books and even a few Golden Age books.  They had some CGC slabs in the showcase, lots of wall books, and a closed off section of the pricier back issues that you had to ask permission to browse in. 

I didn't end up buying anything but I found some X-Men back issues (117, 119, 124, 126, 128) that I need to help fill some holes in my collection.  They were all in mid-range to higher grade books and were less than $20 each.  I took some pictures to help show what I found.

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

I see US 1 finally getting it's due as a Classic Issue.  I knew it would happen!

I've lived in Northern Virginia for 35 years. This is the worst area in the United States for back issues in comic stores. Victory Comics is probably the best local. Flashback Comics in Woodbridge has a good selection as well.

The best store within a drive is - without question - is Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown, Maryland. From Ashburn (I'm in Reston) you're looking at 70 miles, but it is worth the drive. There are some other good shops in Maryland, but Northern Virginia blows.

The Tysons show is excellent. I will probably be there in the afternoon tomorrow walking around. It is across the street from my office, so I can just stroll over. For a small local show, there are lots of books there.

That is the paradox of around here. Stores stink, but there's very good selection at shows. The Shoff shows are quite good - they attract a lot of part time guys with good selections.

Edited by FlyingDonut

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

I've lived in Northern Virginia for 35 years. This is the worst area in the United States for back issues in comic stores. Victory Comics is probably the best local. Flashback Comics in Woodbridge has a good selection as well.

The best store within a drive is - without question - is Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in Reisterstown, Maryland. From Ashburn (I'm in Reston) you're looking at 70 miles, but it is worth the drive. There are some other good shops in Maryland, but Northern Virginia blows.

The Tysons show is excellent. I will probably be there in the afternoon tomorrow walking around. It is across the street from my office, so I can just stroll over. For a small local show, there are lots of books there.

That is the paradox of around here. Stores stink, but there's very good selection at shows. The Shoff shows are quite good - they attract a lot of part time guys with good selections.

Couldn't agree more, Donut!  Northern Virginia really is the worst!  

Thanks for the tip about Cards, Comics, and Collectibles.  Maybe I'll make the trek up there sometime.  Is Geppi's Comic World still open in Baltimore?

I'm looking forward to the Shoff show tomorrow.  I went to their last one in Rockville on July 22nd and was pretty impressed by the selection.  There was one seller (All American Comics and Collectibles) who had some amazing wall books there.  I'm hoping he is there again tomorrow.    

IMG_4018.jpg

3 hours ago, jeranimal said:

Thanks for the tip about Cards, Comics, and Collectibles.  Maybe I'll make the trek up there sometime.  Is Geppi's Comic World still open in Baltimore?

I'm looking forward to the Shoff show tomorrow.  I went to their last one in Rockville on July 22nd and was pretty impressed by the selection.  There was one seller (All American Comics and Collectibles) who had some amazing wall books there.  I'm hoping he is there again tomorrow.    

IMG_4018.jpg

That was the Frederick Comic Con - it was packed. I bought a lot of books.

I lived in Northern Virginia for a long time. The Shoff show is great. I've been a visitor dozens of times and ran a booth a few times. I agree that the LCSs there are not the best. If you like used books, I suggest Hole in the Wall Books in Falls Church. They have back issues, but last I checked they had an OSPG laying on top of them to guide the price with some percentage off. The comic shops in the Baltimore/Annapolis area are better.

10 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

I haven't lived there since the 90s, but my old LCS was at the corner of Ox Rd and Burke Center Pkwy.  They had pretty good back issue selection back in the day.

Was that run by Joe? Burke’s books or something like that. 

Edited by NoMan

Yeah, Victory is easily the best in NoVa for back issues.  

As Donut said, Marc’s store is the best in the DC/Bmore area and worth the drive to Reisterstown.  

Was planning on going to the Shoff show today, but other stuff came up.  Hope they keep it at Tyson’s moving forward.  The last show in Annandale was subpar to me.  But they usually are very good.  Nice little shows with a good selection of books.

Edited by chrisco37

15 hours ago, jeranimal said:

IMG_4018.jpg

That’s Gene Carpenter.  He’s got an incredible selection.  Every genre across all the ages.  Super nice guy too.

Some nice finds at the Shoff show today. I seem to only be able to make this show and the Annandale one, but makes sense as they are both around a 15 min drive from me. I have heard good things about the Frederick show as well. May need to check out that next time, although the drive is a little bit further (roughly 1 hour).

The show was pretty packed today. Lot's of money exchanging hands it seemed. Shoff shows never seem to disappoint. Only one more month until Baltimore Comic Con, but with books like these at the smaller shows, I can't complain!

Nice meeting @jeranimal today as well :headbang:

55579146754__61C8EF3D-1A20-4B83-BDD9-D0F1A39F8945.JPG

I went to Shoff incognito lol. My girlfriend kept me up until 0400 the night before which resulted in a late-arrival, and I had to do lunch with a friend at 1300...so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked, but it was great!! Some dealers were more realistic than others, but Jason Hamlin (I believe that was his name) was my fav...easy to talk to, and raw books had raw prices. (thumbsu

Edited by Callaway29

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I went to Shoff incognito lol. My girlfriend kept me up until 0400 the night before which resulted in a late-arrival, and I had to do lunch with a friend at 1300...so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked, but it was great!! Some dealers were more realistic than others, but Jason Hamlin (I believe that was his name) was my fav...easy to talk to, and raw books had raw prices. (thumbsu

I was there for a couple of hours. Hung out with Marc for a while. Bought some books from Jimmy and Jason. As little local one day shows go, the Shoff Show is pretty good. The Annandale site is bigger, so there's more dealers there, but I like the old-time feel of the Courtyard's ball room.

17 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I was there for a couple of hours. Hung out with Marc for a while. Bought some books from Jimmy and Jason. As little local one day shows go, the Shoff Show is pretty good. The Annandale site is bigger, so there's more dealers there, but I like the old-time feel of the Courtyard's ball room.

Visiting Marc's store is on my bucket list :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Random question: Is it common for folks to mishandle dealer's books?

I ask because, I watched in horror as one individual abused a dealer's books at Shoff. I watched the dealer watching him, and he looked displeased, but never said anything. This guy was surely leaving thumb impressions on every book in a box that only contained books >$100, and did a couple maneuvers with groupings of books that made me cringe. Admittedly, I probably handle books more gingerly than most...but damn, this guy gave zero poops.

Edited by Callaway29
had to use the word poop

On 8/11/2018 at 5:47 PM, snitzer said:

Looks like a solid setup by All American! (thumbsu Speaking of Cons...

For those nearby, or willing to make the drive, the annual (Richmond) VA Comic Con is coming up as well (Oct. 27-28) at the Old Dominion Building / Richmond Raceway.

http://vacomicon.com/

What's your favorite here in the RVA?

1 hour ago, Nrrrrvous said:

What's your favorite here in the RVA?

Richmond Comix (Midlo) is my local go to. I’ve been fairly impressed with their ability to have key back issues. A little overpriced, but what retailer isn’t? I haven’t tried to negotiate so no idea on flex. On the other hand, the gamers and their tables drive me, and my kids, nuts! They take up like 65% of the floor space on the weekends lol

http://richmondcomix.com/

Beyond that, all my other pickups have been via cons/online/private sellers/antique stores/etc. I’ve had a great run the last few months just staying focused on those areas.

Honestly, I need to check out some of the other stores. Any favs for you?