• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best comic shops in Virginia

47 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, snitzer said:

Richmond Comix (Midlo) is my local go to. I’ve been fairly impressed with their ability to have key back issues. A little overpriced, but what retailer isn’t? I haven’t tried to negotiate so no idea on flex. On the other hand, the gamers and their tables drive me, and my kids, nuts! They take up like 65% of the floor space on the weekends lol

http://richmondcomix.com/

Beyond that, all my other pickups have been via cons/online/private sellers/antique stores/etc. I’ve had a great run the last few months just staying focused on those areas.

Honestly, I need to check out some of the other stores. Any favs for you?

Velocity Comics up on Broad St are my go-to.  They've gone out of their way a couple times for me when the other guys said "Nah, we can't". I'm very new to this and don't buy new books so I can't really speak to that aspect.  

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Random question: Is it common for folks to mishandle dealer's books?

I ask because, I watched in horror as one individual abused a dealer's books at Shoff. I watched the dealer watching him, and he looked displeased, but never said anything. This guy was surely leaving thumb impressions on every book in a box that only contained books >$100, and did a couple maneuvers with groupings of books that made me cringe. Admittedly, I probably handle books more gingerly than most...but damn, this guy gave zero poops.

Don't think it is that common.  Most prospective buyers respect the books if they are serious about buying.  I'm surprised the dealer didn't say something if the guy was mishandling the books.  (tsk)

14 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I went to Shoff incognito lol. My girlfriend kept me up until 0400 the night before which resulted in a late-arrival, and I had to do lunch with a friend at 1300...so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked, but it was great!! Some dealers were more realistic than others, but Jason Hamlin (I believe that was his name) was my fav...easy to talk to, and raw books had raw prices. (thumbsu

Jason is a good guy and dealer. He always has stuff that the other dealers don't have, particularly niche stuff.

6 hours ago, Nrrrrvous said:

Velocity Comics up on Broad St are my go-to.  They've gone out of their way a couple times for me when the other guys said "Nah, we can't". I'm very new to this and don't buy new books so I can't really speak to that aspect.  

I get up to Richmond twice a year. I usually go to Stories, which is in northern Richmond. A nice little shop. They don't have many wall books but sometimes there are good books in their silver age boxes. They have a nice inventory of other back issues as well. And there's a 2nd and Charles store in the same shopping center.

10 hours ago, sassemble said:

I get up to Richmond twice a year. I usually go to Stories, which is in northern Richmond. A nice little shop. They don't have many wall books but sometimes there are good books in their silver age boxes. They have a nice inventory of other back issues as well. And there's a 2nd and Charles store in the same shopping center.

I was sad to hear the other Stories on Forest Hill closed in January.  I was in there once, seemed like a great place.  Girl who worked there was very pleasant to deal with.  

Speaking of 2nd and Charles, what's your opinion?  I've browsed around a bit in the one in Midlothian, prices seemed high. (Even higher than other LCS) But didn't really do much direct comparison.

Richmond Comix is my favorite in Richmond.

Trilogy in Virginia Beach has the most impressive store.  It's huge, and it's PACKED with comic stuff.  Really fun to walk in the first time and see it all.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:11 AM, Callaway29 said:

Would love to see a report on victory comics, or any shop in NVA. I’m in Springfield and don’t have a local joint...all online. Like you, been to a few but all new stuff...

You are likely aware, but Tosche Station just opened up in the Huntsman shopping center.  They're inside across from the entrance to Giant.  Hope you are well!