• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Comic-Con will Still be a 3 day con, Sept. 22-24, 2017
4 4

190 posts in this topic

Putting it into late September certainly helps as Labor Day weekend is the last weekend of the summer before back to school so it was a hectic one this year!

1 hour ago, cms1 said:

How are the crowds at this show.  I am seriously considering going this year mostly for the artist they have attending.

I went on Saturday last year. For the most part I thought it was fine. There were a few times it got a bit crowded, but nothing too bad. 

My biggest gripe was that booth numbers were written on the floor in front of the booths. Most of the numbers had worn off by the time I got there on Saturday. It was a real pain trying to locate all forum members set up with booths. 

All things being equal I'd go to Heroes if you are looking for flippable books.  I'd say there was a smidge more high end booths at Baltimore but Heroes had the better prices of the two.  Both are great Cons.  Baltimore has the plus of onsite grading but with 1 month turn around times I'd think it's not as big a deal.

Edited by 1Cool

15 hours ago, 1Cool said:

All things being equal I'd go to Heroes if you are looking for flippable books.  I'd say there was a smidge more high end booths at Baltimore but Heroes had the better prices of the two.  Both are great Cons.  Baltimore has the plus of onsite grading but with 1 month turn around times I'd think it's not as big a deal.

thanks for the insight, mainly I would be going for signatures from creators, artists, etc.

1 minute ago, 1p36DSA said:

thanks for the insight, mainly I would be going for signatures from creators, artists, etc.

Plenty of artists and SS opportunities at both of these Cons.  I'd probably give the nod to Baltimore from a signing standpoint.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, 1Cool said:

Are you setting up in Baltimore?

Not this year - lost my shirt last year at the big Cons I set up at soIm laying low and doing the E-Bay store thing.  I may be over doing some buying but it's up in the air.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:22 PM, 1Cool said:

Not this year - lost my shirt last year at the big Cons I set up at soIm laying low and doing the E-Bay store thing.  I may be over doing some buying but it's up in the air.

If you do show up I'll buy you a beer. :tink:

1 hour ago, Agent 007 said:

All days is there enough stuff to do?  If not, which days are better.  I usually have only went to SDCC & WC.  Thanks .

If you get bored, I recommend a fun visit to see the treasures at Geppi's downtown Baltimore comic book and comic art museum. Not much can compare to SDCC with it's close proximity to Little Italy, Balboa Park and over 18 museums there plus the ships docked along the coast, if you need to entertain family or yourself outside of the comic-con. :foryou:

Personally one day was enough for me. I certainly had enough time to cover every booth quite a few times. But I don't wait in line for sigs or photos. I take the wife and do one day at the con and another sightseeing. The aquarium is always fun. Plus tons of good restaurants. 

depends on how much longbox digging you do.  I hit every comic dealer and go through at least 4-5 of their long boxes looking for the various items in my focus.  That usually takes up a day and a half.  Then if my eyeballs haven't fallen out of their sockets from the shear exhaustion there's browsing the cool wall books with an occasional big purchase here and there and there are usually enough dealers at this show that it takes a day and a half to hit all of them.  Then I spend another chunk of time at either of the grader booths either submitting books or cool book watching just checking out what cool raw books are going to find themselves into new plastic homes tombs.

then there's the cosplay pictures and gawking and the fun costume contest that makes for a nice break from standing up or squatting down all day.  Occasionally I check out the artists or guests but not interested unless there's some one whose work I'm really into there.

In between there's lots of great restaurants, bars, and sights in Baltimore.  So if you're bored there's always the nightlife or museums (Geppi's but also the Aquarium and children's science museum which actually is pretty cool for all ages.)  However, I'm mainly there for the comics so if I could knock that out in a day or less, that's all I'd need but alas this is a good comics show with lots of comics.

I'm doing SDCC this year for the first time and I'm trying to figure out how to hunt for comics at that show without getting crowd mauled or sensory overload by everything else that will be going on.