• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite EPIC comic book battles

105 posts in this topic

8b5b377a3c279bfe64a3b1563c348bc7.jpg

X-Men 137!

Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Phoenix vs. The Imperial Guard of the Shi'ar Empire on the frickin' moon?! Oh, and if the X-Men lose, Jean Grey dies!

It probably didn't hurt that I was only thirteen at the time, but when I read this story it blew my mind. I bought two copies of the comic and even wrote a letter to Marvel (it didn't get printed).

All these years later, for me, that story still sets the bar.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanos #5, Jim Starlin

164963.jpg

I used to own the original art to this double page. Stupidly sold it. :sorry:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=591508

thanos5_zpszythndsi.jpg

The original art is so much better to look at. The printed version is so overwhelmed by the colorist :sick:

Spiderman vs venom in amazing 300.

Spiderman vs green goblin in Asm 122

Wolverine vs sabretooth in xmen 213

Magneto vs apocalypse in xmen omega

Wolverine vs hulk in hulk 181

Also just read deadpool vs marvel universe. ..it was funny and good.

GI Joe 49-50 - The Battle of Spingfield

GI Joe 72-77 - Cobra Civil War and the Battle for Cobra Island.

GI Joe #34 Ace vs. Wild Weasel

wildweaselcomic3402.gif

Yup...

This is an incredible issue. The ending depicted in the panel you posted is epic.

I always hope that Hama is recognized for his writing contribution in turning a kids toybook into the epic storyline that lasted over a decade.

3 words -- Wrath. Of. Khan.

2 words relevant to this topic -- Maximum. Carnage.

Grew up with Maximum Carnage and its nonstop battles... Bagley to me, next to McFarlane, is the definitive Venom artist.

maximum-carnage.jpg

I stumbled onto it by happenstance when I picked up Web 101 as part of the LCS's free comics for good report cards promo. Wound up collecting the rest of the series off the rack, there's definitely something to be said for that monthly anticipation.

When I was a sick child my mother would bring me comics, Treasury sized more often than not. I remember getting the greatest battles one with Hulk V Thing onthe cover and also the Spidey vs Superman one. But the battle that came to mind when I read the thread title was Harbinger 25 with Harada vs Stanchek...what a great battle.

On a smaller scale, one of my favorite scenes in comics ever is Montoya vs Corrigan (not that one) in Gotham Central (issue 21 I think?).

And the greatest comic ever is Daredevil 181, with two epic battles, Bullseye vs Elektra ("Me? I'm magic!") and DD vs Bullseye.

More recently, I liked the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night before the New 52 reboot.