• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite EPIC comic book battles

105 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2016 at 10:14 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yup...

This is an incredible issue. The ending depicted in the panel you posted is epic.

I always hope that Hama is recognized for his writing contribution in turning a kids toybook into the epic storyline that lasted over a decade.

Larry Hama writing the GI Joe comic was so underrated. There was a reason why for a few years GI JOE outsold Uncanny X-Men.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Larry Hama writing the GI Joe comic was so underrated. There was a reason why for a few years GI JOE outsold Uncanny X-Men.

I didn't know that. During a period when I'd cut back, and a title I completely missed.

Or, just too focused on the mutants.

Cool thread - Issue 176 comes to mind, not once but twice!

1. Avengers - Korvac saga..Avengers 177 was the big battle I believe but that doesn't work with my 176 theme - and the cover to 176 reflects the battle

image.jpeg.d02bd63e6b366fc3fc786d9797be728a.jpeg

2. But even more nostalgic, if not as epic, Impossible Man vs. FF in FF176 with the Marvel bullpen

image.jpeg.b8d74426ada0d7384852ef642c95f4a9.jpeg

Read them!

Mark

Edited by mtlevy1
mispost

17 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

1. Avengers - Korvac saga..Avengers 177 was the big battle I believe but that doesn't work with my 176 theme - and the cover to 176 reflects the battle

I love 177 it's one of my favorite Avengers books.  Seeing Mike kill all the Avengers and Guardian's of the Galaxy, except Thor and Moondragon, is definitely epic.

Edited by rat chew

23 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

2. But even more nostalgic, if not as epic, Impossible Man vs. FF in FF176 with the Marvel bullpen

image.jpeg.b8d74426ada0d7384852ef642c95f4a9.jpeg

Read them!

Mark

The Korvac Saga was the first multi-part storyline I ever read in comics, when I started collecting in 1977.

A great Avengers story.

Those issues were distributed to the UK as pence-priced Marvel All-Colour Comics variants, and easy to get if you were restricted to a local newsstand. 

But, I had to wait some time to get FF 176.  The title was distributed here for quite a while, all except for 176;  just that annoying one issue gap inside the run.  I eventually found a cent copy at a comic store a few years later.

Again, a very enjoyable book.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Epic battle ! no way to defeat Unus as he was untouchable .... until... Professor X INCREASED his power so now Unus could not touch anything himself , in the end he was begging to be turned back to normal !!

Uncanny X-Men #8

Edited by 1950's war comics

48 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

@kav lol classic Curt Swan Superman cover and yep this boxing cover is a good EPIC battle !

I wish there was a Curt Swan artist today. There is Carl Barks ducks and there is Curt Swan Superman.  :cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

12 hours ago, rat chew said:

I love 177 it's one of my favorite Avengers books.  Seeing Mike kill all the Avengers and Guardian's of the Galaxy, except Thor and Moondragon, is definitely epic.

This is when I first took notice of Jim Shooter as a writer. This was when I noticed that the Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics was as good or better writer than most of the people that worked at Marvel.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur