• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The X-23 Thread
2 2

321 posts in this topic

No reason to take a film risk on a (sorry) niche character that can't even sustain her own comic book.

Out of all the "replacement" characters (or as Marvel is trying to convince us, "legacy" characters), she's the only one whose book is really holding its own & not basically propped up by corporate mandate & the Marvel diversity police. And it's one of the VERY few that's accepted by new and old readers alike.

Time will tell, I wouldn't be upset to be wrong. I'd be very surprised though - people can say what they like about the character and her uniqueness, but she's literally a clone of Wolverine. Literally.

In power set & whatnot? Of course. In personality? Not at all, IMO. Yes, there's some little homages to old-school Logan (his proclivity for having teenager girl sidekicks or the risk of berserker rage), but her overall personality is vastly different IMO.

No reason to take a film risk on a (sorry) niche character that can't even sustain her own comic book.

Out of all the "replacement" characters (or as Marvel is trying to convince us, "legacy" characters), she's the only one whose book is really holding its own & not basically propped up by corporate mandate & the Marvel diversity police. And it's one of the VERY few that's accepted by new and old readers alike.

Time will tell, I wouldn't be upset to be wrong. I'd be very surprised though - people can say what they like about the character and her uniqueness, but she's literally a clone of Wolverine. Literally.

In power set & whatnot? Of course. In personality? Not at all, IMO. Yes, there's some little homages to old-school Logan (his proclivity for having teenager girl sidekicks or the risk of berserker rage), but her overall personality is vastly different IMO.

She's very derivative. More so than not. Your own comment makes that clear. Is she the literal exact same person as Logan? No, she isn't, so she does have that going for her I guess. Other than that, she did have a decent early story arc, but this movie (at least going by the age of 'Laura' in it) and what appears to be going on obviously contradicts that background.

Again, maybe she will get her own movie and be the next big superhero thing, but it seems highly unlikely. Chances are, we'll see this child playing 'Laura' and then that'll be that. We'll never see her again. I mean, what timeline gymnastics would be involved to line things up - the last new cast movie was set in the 1980s wasn't it? :shrug:

More signs are against it than for it, but we'll see. The only thing I know for sure is I'm looking forward to seeing Logan.

I was skeptical of her ability to carry the mantle. She is full of surprises. Sold my NYX #3 years ago and it is starting to look like demand is such that I'll never own another copy. I vastly underestimated this character's following and likability. She is going to be a major player for a long, long time.

I'm still dubious of the character's ability to get out of Wolverine's shadow and stand alone, and until that happens, I'm personally not interested. I want to see diversity (of the type the Big Two seem incapable of lately), but I know I'm not every reader.

The cover to NYX #3 is up in the next HA auction and there has been some debate over in the OA forum about what it'll bring - I think people are still attempting to understand the character's appeal, attempting to determine if it is simply the Wolverine affect, or something more unique to the character herself. Long term, I'm still calling it currently as the former, no one has really been able to tell me much of anything to sway me there except for her angsty past... hardly something unique in comic books.

The young actress from the Logan film, Dafne Keen, did a fine job but there were also significant differences between the film version and the comic version and I'm more curious to see if anything carries back over to print. 

Spoiler

In the film, Laura doesn't have the same surname, as her 'mother', Dr. Kinney, is never mentioned. She is more of a feral child than a trained assassin. And of course the largest difference, she's 11 years old.

One thing I will add, if this book's price remains steady over the next year to eighteen months, I may reevaluate my position; namely that the value was driven up by hype due to the usual speculation pumping. Prior to that, the book seemed to be highly prized due to Laura's status as a niche character with a corresponding passionate niche fan base, but it certainly is possible that movie exposure may organically drive growth, so it will be curious to see how it plays out 2c

She is an intriguing character in a successful movie (and a great movie to boot). They will make a stand alone movie at some point. It would be foolish not to try and create another franchise as Jackman's wolverine winds down. AND, they will eventually make more movies with Wolverine and recast with a younger male. This is hollywood remember. They are hurting for content. It doesn't mean they won't F either of them up though. I can definitely see X-23 becoming a large character as large or close to Harley.

I bought a NYX #3 raw (NM+ to NM/M) last year for about $300 or so, got it pressed and signed by Craig Kyle. Ill hang onto it for a while and see what happens. Im a bit of a gambler though.

Been trying to get a reasonably priced copy for a while now and I've got mixed feelings about the response to the movie. I'm sad it's spiking the price, but also really happy as I thought Keen was fantastic in the part. Guess I'll have to keep looking. 

On 3/10/2017 at 9:39 PM, SquareChaos said:

I'm still dubious of the character's ability to get out of Wolverine's shadow and stand alone, and until that happens, I'm personally not interested. I want to see diversity (of the type the Big Two seem incapable of lately), but I know I'm not every reader.

The cover to NYX #3 is up in the next HA auction and there has been some debate over in the OA forum about what it'll bring - I think people are still attempting to understand the character's appeal, attempting to determine if it is simply the Wolverine affect, or something more unique to the character herself. Long term, I'm still calling it currently as the former, no one has really been able to tell me much of anything to sway me there except for her angsty past... hardly something unique in comic books.

The young actress from the Logan film, Dafne Keen, did a fine job but there were also significant differences between the film version and the comic version and I'm more curious to see if anything carries back over to print. 

Hide contents

In the film, Laura doesn't have the same surname, as her 'mother', Dr. Kinney, is never mentioned. She is more of a feral child than a trained assassin. And of course the largest difference, she's 11 years old.

One thing I will add, if this book's price remains steady over the next year to eighteen months, I may reevaluate my position; namely that the value was driven up by hype due to the usual speculation pumping. Prior to that, the book seemed to be highly prized due to Laura's status as a niche character with a corresponding passionate niche fan base, but it certainly is possible that movie exposure may organically drive growth, so it will be curious to see how it plays out 2c

Well put, Square, per usual.

I'll always remember the moment I got hooked on X-23 -- when I saw #1 of the Liu series at a local con.  My exact thought was:  Who is this brunette goth babe with the claws?  An elemental reaction, as I'm sure has been the case for many others.

Was almost dismayed to later find out the ever-growing extent of her popularity.  As was the case with Moon Knight or Venom, seemed the normal course for my faves.

I'm not a big fan of her in Wolverine garb to be honest.  If/when a new series of her back in her traditional black comes out... I'm on it.

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 3/12/2017 at 1:51 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Well put, Square, per usual.

I'll always remember the moment I got hooked on X-23 -- when I saw #1 of the Liu series at a local con.  My exact thought was:  Who is this brunette goth babe with the claws?  An elemental reaction, as I'm sure has been the case for many others.

Was almost dismayed to later find out the ever-growing extent of her popularity.  As was the case with Moon Knight or Venom, seemed the normal course for my faves.

I'm not a big fan of her in Wolverine garb to be honest.  If/when a new series of her back in her traditional black comes out... I'm on it.

She's going back to her black and grey costume in #19

It's not that she's going back to HER black/grey costume. She's going back to a female version of the Uncanny X-Force Wolverine costume. Basically the same as he wore during that run. Not HER costume from that era.

Curious why this thread is on the 3rd page :) Anyway slow day at the con today here in Dallas, think that I'm still getting my bearings. This is my only pick up for today, I did drop some other stuff off at CGC that I had estimated over in spare a grade :)

probably an 8.5 :( 

NYX 4 front.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM