• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York in the AM

38 posts in this topic

My son and I are heading to NY in the am. We tried to go during the ny comic on but no Jets game :( I'm a gold and silver age collector. He's a walking dead fanatic. We are staying at the Courtyard midtown east. Looking for the best back issue comic stores in Manhattan? I've been to NY twice before. His 1st trip, he's 16. Any other highlights not to be missed? As always thanks in advance.

Comic stores include Forbidden Planet, Midtown Comics, St. Marks, and my personal favorite Mysterious Time Machine. Joseph Koch Comics Warehouse is located in Brooklyn.

I usually get a weekly transit pass and go all over.

Try American Museum of Natural History or USS Intrepid.

If you have time, take the Statue of Liberty tour, but get your tickets early.

No need to go to any comic stores...

Visit the city itself.

There is absolutely nothing in any of the local comic stores that you cannot find cheaper online through eBay or directly ordering if the stores even have back issues.

There are touristy things to do which people SHOULD do... I wish MORE NY'rs actually visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to gain an appreciation where the hands that built the city and America came through and what they dealt with. You could take a subway to Brooklyn, have lunch at Grimaldi's, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge while you are there then head to the 9/11 memorial.

There is so much to do in NYC... please don't waste the time in a comic store.

Seriously, my fellow forum members, I am getting tempted on leading tours for all of you when you visit NYC and Long Island.

My son and I are heading to NY in the am. We tried to go during the ny comic on but no Jets game :( I'm a gold and silver age collector. He's a walking dead fanatic. We are staying at the Courtyard midtown east. Looking for the best back issue comic stores in Manhattan? I've been to NY twice before. His 1st trip, he's 16. Any other highlights not to be missed? As always thanks in advance.

Silver and Bronze collector? Go to Metropolis. Monster back issue inventory and amazing place to visit. Please note you'll have to make an appointment and specify which books you want to look at ahead of time.

Have a great time in NYC, so much to see and do.

If the weather is co-operating, take a train ride down to Coney Island, go on the Cyclone rollercoaster and have a hot dog at Nathan's. The B train goes to Coney Island and goes over the Manhattan Bridge.

Visit the city itself.

There is absolutely nothing in any of the local comic stores that you cannot find cheaper online through eBay or directly ordering if the stores even have back issues.

There are touristy things to do which people SHOULD do... I wish MORE NY'rs actually visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to gain an appreciation where the hands that built the city and America came through and what they dealt with. You could take a subway to Brooklyn, have lunch at Grimaldi's, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge while you are there then head to the 9/11 memorial.

Seriously, my fellow forum members, I am getting tempted on leading tours for all of you when you visit NYC and Long Island.

I agree, there is the new Oculus at the World Trade Center and World Financial Center and Battery Park for walking and eating. Chelsea Market for lots of food choices, lots of ferry crossings to other neighborhoods.

I took my 16 year old son for the first time last summer.

We checked out a soccer game in NJ (Red Bulls vs. Chelsea in a friendly) by train and we spent most of our time walking up and down Manhattan. Literally we walked the entire island as we checked out sites.

I agree that most comic shops won't have much you can't see anywhere, except Metro's studio (call to make an appointment) but only if you appreciate early Vintage material.

We really enjoyed Mariella's Pizza at 180 3rd Ave but Yelp is listing it as close. :o Probably my favorite NY Pizza slice ever.

I know most New Yorkers scoff at it but Carmine's in Times Square is well worth the trip. Everyone I've introduced the chicken wings to have said they've never tried better. Each order is large portioned and family sized (serves 3-5) so we usually go with Caesar and wings.

The usual sites are obviously worth seeing. Not sure what your time frame is worth but walking from site to site allowed us to absorb NYC (the noise, the architecture and the people) and then when we were wiped we'd finally grab a cab (cheap as dirt in NYC).

Visit the city itself.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Comic stores in NYC are lackluster, nothing you won't find elsewhere. See the sights, sample some of the greatest cuisine in the world, visit the landmarks. Go to Mott St in Chinatown, get some chow fun at Wo Hop, visit the trade center, take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Walk around Wall St, shop in the Village.

Don't neglect the outer boroughs, Brooklyn/Queens are where you find the types of eateries that end up on Diners Drive-In's and Dives. Go watch the Baby Bombers shock the world at Yankee Stadium, then have a drink on River Ave. Take in the beauty of Grand Central, then on the tracks like a local. Go to Cherry Valley in Queens, order a Beast and a Couch Potato, park at the Whitestone Bridge and eat while you take in the view.

Comics? Ain't nobody got time for that. Enjoy your visit!

+infinity

Hit the High Line elevated park, walk down and tour the new Whitney Museum, have lunch in the Meatpacking District or walk over to Chelsea Market.

I have out of town friends who were in town over the weekend. The 9/11 Memorial is a must-see, but please keep in mind that it takes 3-3 1/2 hours to take it all in and I think there are timed tickets.

Definitely no need to visit any comic shops if you've never been to the Met, MoMA, Frick Collection, Guggenheim Museum, Whitney Museum, American Museum of Natural History, etc.

Visit the city itself.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Comic stores in NYC are lackluster, nothing you won't find elsewhere. See the sights, sample some of the greatest cuisine in the world, visit the landmarks. Go to Mott St in Chinatown, get some chow fun at Wo Hop, visit the trade center, take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Walk around Wall St, shop in the Village.

Don't neglect the outer boroughs, Brooklyn/Queens are where you find the types of eateries that end up on Diners Drive-In's and Dives. Go watch the Baby Bombers shock the world at Yankee Stadium, then have a drink on River Ave. Take in the beauty of Grand Central, then on the tracks like a local. Go to Cherry Valley in Queens, order a Beast and a Couch Potato, park at the Whitestone Bridge and eat while you take in the view.

Comics? Ain't nobody got time for that. Enjoy your visit!

hadn't thought of that place in 25 years :cloud9:

I took my 16 year old son for the first time last summer.

We checked out a soccer game in NJ (Red Bulls vs. Chelsea in a friendly) by train and we spent most of our time walking up and down Manhattan. Literally we walked the entire island as we checked out sites.

Like from 185th St down to Battery Park? Now that was a hike!

+infinity

Hit the High Line elevated park, walk down and tour the new Whitney Museum, have lunch in the Meatpacking District or walk over to Chelsea Market.

I have out of town friends who were in town over the weekend. The 9/11 Memorial is a must-see, but please keep in mind that it takes 3-3 1/2 hours to take it all in and I think there are timed tickets.

Definitely no need to visit any comic shops if you've never been to the Met, MoMA, Frick Collection, Guggenheim Museum, Whitney Museum, American Museum of Natural History, etc.

I'd add the Morgan Library to that admirable list. Small and can be done in a couple of hours but impressive to see the digs he built for himself.