• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

When it comes to OA, I don't claim to know a forgery from a non-forgery. But, I do know that allowing something which you think is a forgery to be potentially sold on eBay to an innocent prospective buyer isn't right.

If you really think this is a forgery, someone here should give the facts to eBay and let them make their decision about whether it should be removed. Give facts, not generic opinions, saying why you think it is a fake. Maybe the Powers-That-Be at eBay will disagree and let the seller keep up the listing. But if so, you've done the right thing by bringing it to their attention.

Sorry for the lecture, but I was bothered by this. 

22 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

When it comes to OA, I don't claim to know a forgery from a non-forgery. But, I do know that allowing something which you think is a forgery to be potentially sold on eBay to an innocent prospective buyer isn't right.

If you really think this is a forgery, someone here should give the facts to eBay and let them make their decision about whether it should be removed. Give facts, not generic opinions, saying why you think it is a fake. Maybe the Powers-That-Be at eBay will disagree and let the seller keep up the listing. But if so, you've done the right thing by bringing it to their attention.

You'll find that people around here report suspected forgeries to ebay all the time, and ebay in return does nothing. I can't count how many times I've reported items that were clearly fake only to see the auction stay active. 

If this really does bother you to the point that you need to shame someone, I would recommend that you start with the "Powers-That-Be" at ebay.

5 hours ago, glendgold said:

Here's my question. Why start it at $5,000? Legitimate Kirby sketches usually sell for less than that. Heck published pages go for around that.  If you're trying to pass it off, start it at $500.  I think that piece, even if it was real, would still be sitting there with such a high initial bid.

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but if you don't know whether something is a forgery or not, you can start by reading the articles I wrote in the Jack Kirby Collector about how to recognize them.  Glad you're bothered.  That's the first step.

14 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Is this supposed to be a criticism of Boardies who supposedly do nothing or not enough?  If so, you are way off base--folks on here regularly report fake or fraudulent eBay listings to eBay.  I think maybe once or twice eBay has done something versus the hundreds and more of reports they have received from all of us.

13 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

You'll find that people around here report suspected forgeries to ebay all the time, and ebay in return does nothing. I can't count how many times I've reported items that were clearly fake only to see the auction stay active. 

If this really does bother you to the point that you need to shame someone, I would recommend that you start with the "Powers-That-Be" at ebay.

+1

9 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Is this supposed to be a criticism of Boardies who supposedly do nothing or not enough?  If so, you are way off base--folks on here regularly report fake or fraudulent eBay listings to eBay.  I think maybe once or twice eBay has done something versus the hundreds and more of reports they have received from all of us.

Then you have done everything you can. Reading the thread made it sound like no one was trying. 

Just out of curiosity, what did eBay say in response (if anything, and if you know).

Since I was wrong, let me apologize. 

23 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

I guess this would be the place to start. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/report-fraudulent-ebay-seller-75925.html

Was nothing done? Was the claim rejected with a reason?

Since I'm the one who put his foot in it, I sent the seller an email:

"Do you have something to prove that this piece is authentic Kirby? I'm uncomfortable about original art which hasn't been authenticated by actual publication or which I don't directly get from the artist."

Let's see what he says, if anything. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I guess this would be the place to start. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/report-fraudulent-ebay-seller-75925.html

That is the current process, and in my experience (I cannot speak for others) ebay has never responded or shut down the listing. The report just seems to go into a black hole. 

This is only my opinion, but I doubt that ebay has the personnel (both in size and knowledge) necessary to accurately review a fraud claim from a niche hobby such as ours, so they err on the side of just letting the auction play out and see if the buyer complains. The problem being, of course, that the buyer is unlikely to have an epiphany once they receive the fake goods. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

In my experience the only time eBay does anything is when the creator contacts eBay directly.

if you want to see this in action, join the Art Adams facebook group, they're really good at finding the fakes on eBay and alerting the community.  And it seems like it just stays listed until Joyce or Art email's them.

In some cases I've called eBay and given my complaint over the phone.  They politely listen and are non-committal and all they'll say is that they'll look into it.  In one instant, I was the prior owner of a piece that was listed as being pencils and ink when I knew it was only inks (and I knew who had the pencil version)--not surprising eBay shared none of my concern and outrage and of course that listing stayed on (even after I reported it again through the normal report an item system).  Other times I've given them 3rd party links that and pics to evidence a fake--nada. 

Right they don't have the man-power, knowledge/experience or desire -- they'd rather deal with the much less frequent complaining buyer than the frequent reports (and likely they self-justify by believing that they don't have enough unambiguous/objective/concrete evidence to take down a listing and so it's not fair to sellers).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Hand-Signed-Autographed-Original-silver-surfer-Art-w-COA/183355972897

I was pretty sure no one here would be fooled by this, but if anyone was thinking about it -- no.  It looks, however, like a good signature, or at least a Roz signature, to which a nine-year-old has added a Silver Surfer.  That at least makes it a little unusual.

23 minutes ago, glendgold said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Hand-Signed-Autographed-Original-silver-surfer-Art-w-COA/183355972897

I was pretty sure no one here would be fooled by this, but if anyone was thinking about it -- no.  It looks, however, like a good signature, or at least a Roz signature, to which a nine-year-old has added a Silver Surfer.  That at least makes it a little unusual.

The “specimen sample” Certificate of Authenticity is a nice touch.  lol

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 hours ago, glendgold said:

It's interesting that the text wording specifically states:

This auction is for a Jack Kirby hand signed autographed

followed in the same sentence by:

The Silver Surver original sketch Measures - 7.5x10"

Oddly worded, possibly inferring that the autograph is legit and what you are paying for.