• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, vodou said:

Image is a bit off but it's signed so must be good to go, probably a steal for someone ;)

Dude, it's signed TWICE! And everyone knows Kirby pages with perfectly clean backs are worth double already, so this is an extra special secret bargain! :flipbait:

Based on the jittery line work, I think Vince drank too many espressos before he inked this.

Or is the seller implying that Kirby inked it himself for "Vince Colletta Thor #126"? I didn't realize that Colletta got above-the-title billing on Thor. Like "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan".

This one is interesting, as it seems a lot more self-assured than the rest:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273621880735?ul_noapp=true

The one up for auction is below, and it's on the yellower/darker paper. 

The image with the whiter background is genuinely by Kirby -- it's  from the "Roz" sketchbook piece (not done in 1969 but early '70s) and unless I've lost track of it, that original isn't actually for sale.  They look verrrrry similar.  If someone wants to lay one image on the other maybe we'll see what's going on here.   I'm wondering of some issue of the Kirby Collector had a better repro of the Roz one.

Since this is the same guy who has sold previous fake, I'm calling this one suspicious too.

G

kirby Roz Hulk.jpg

ebay hulk.jpg

Edited by glendgold

66 watching, 12 hours left. this ought to be interesting. I reached out to get more info as I am in the market for a Kirby but wouldn't touch this with a 10' pole.

the bid went from $650 to $424, how does that happen?

Edited by Blastaar

26 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

Bids can be retracted if it is agreed to by both the buyer and seller. Shilling?

I think up to 12 hours before an auction ends, a seller can cancel bids and a bidder can retract bids. I don't think they both have to agree.

Malvin

On 12/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, malvin said:

I think up to 12 hours before an auction ends, a seller can cancel bids and a bidder can retract bids. I don't think they both have to agree.

Malvin

I am not saying you are wrong, but in all my selling on eBay, every time someone wanted to retract a bid, I received the request with eBay indicating I had to give my agreement. I have never had a bid retracted with out giving agreement.

15 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I am not saying you are wrong, but in all my selling on eBay, every time someone wanted to retract a bid, I received the request with eBay indicating I had to give my agreement. I have never had a bid retracted with out giving agreement.

Interesting.  I have retracted bid unliterary without waiting for the seller to agree.  Maybe they are different processes and we are both right.

Malvin

On 12/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, malvin said:

Malvin

I've had this happen more than once, and recently.

I believe the ability to retract unilaterally has to do with what the seller selects as their reason for retracting a bid. If it's something both parties need to agree to, then that is required. If it's not, then they can just pull their bids willy nilly. And it used to be that once an auction was within 24 hours of completion nothing could be retracted. They later changed that to 12 hours.

I could swear I've had bids retracted with less than 12 hours to close this year, which I didn't think was possible.

I was selling a car part, and the bid cancellation freaked all the other would be buyers out, because there were 5 people bidding on the item against each other repeatedly. When the first guy bailed, he retracted all his bids. That knocked off about 1/3 the value of where it was up to. Then another guy bailed. He told me in his cancellation that his reasoning was he saw it drop so much, he was assuming someone found out something was wrong with the item and he didn't want to get scammed. Didn't message and ask, he just dropped out.

And then the lucky guy that eventually won (sold for half what it should have) sent me emails after the fact worried he was getting scammed or shilled. None of which had anything to do with me. He left me glowing feedback after the fact.

One thing is for certain, they definitely don't need both parties to agree.

Edited by ESeffinga