• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Here too?!?! :cry:

Asked and answered before ;)

Some people just can't count but still feel qualified to practice law :devil:

Not sure what you do, but I hope it's not math/sciences lol

8 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Pffft. Glen is just trying to throw us all off the scent, because he wants to keep that Kirby/Royer masterpiece all for himself.

:ohnoez:

Nah, I'm saving up to buy a share of a banana and duct tape.

I *think* it's real - it's been reproduced elsewhere, iirc.  As far as price, It's not insane and there seem to be bids. There's not a ton of Golden Age Kirby out there, and this is a cool oddity.  Like Terry says, too bad about the condition.

This is copied from the "Roz" sketchbook. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/81183478_jack-kirby-american-1917-1994-graphite-drawing

EDIT: BTW, if these posts feel repetitive and/or obvious to you, apologies - I  keep thinking I should just let stuff fly, but then I get DMs from people who want a heads-up. So I'll keep doing it when I can.

Edited by glendgold

"In the manner of" was designed to protect a seller who was unsure of the provenance of an item, but of course scammers latched onto it.   There is a pretty well known Big Two artist who passed away a few years ago and left behind a large amount of both his own originals and a pile of sketches from other notable artists.   His wife was telling me that at shows he would often trade sketches with artists he liked.   I was present at a couple of shows and saw this happen first hand with two artists who I really like and admire.   None of these have any kind of COAs of course and there are a good percentage from big name artists.  She's finally thinking about moving some of these items at various auctions and her attorney advised her to use "in the manner of" for the other artist pieces but I bristled at the mention of it purely because of the sour note these thieves have caused the term.   

I think she'd be better served selling the non-husband originals in bulk to a reputable art dealer than dealing with individual buyers.    For her husband's originals-- and I'll tell you there are THOUSANDS of pages-- they take up an entire room-- she can't flood the market because it will devalue his work, I think her best bet there would be to assemble complete books and then sell them that way.

-- am I wrong in this thinking?

34 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

-- am I wrong in this thinking?

She (or a knowledgeable friend -wink,wink, Andy) should approach HA about handing the entire lot over but with the consignment agreement (contract) written up to include a statement regarding HA not flooding the market -in specific "no more than x pieces offered per week, month, per sale, etc", as they so often have in the past.

The "Estate of..." aspect should be played up for all lots but especially for the sketches that would otherwise have concerning provenance. You're correct that "in the manner of..." is a massive red flag inside the hobby. Exactly the story you've told here should be the one told to whoever gets the consignment and that's how they should be sold too. If there is a "lie" present in that story, then the onus would be on the consignee to figure it out during the cataloguing process, before presenting to the bidding public in a sales environment. That's where a House earns their commission; hard to believe but SP/BP aren't just something their entitled to collect "just cuz" lol , they should earn it where appropriate.

Thousands...let's call it 5,000 originals total. That's an annuity right there, perfect for spouse/heirs, paying out over a five or ten year period at the rate of 10/wk (500/yr) as an example. Whatever schedule works for all parties can be figured out by then, of course. That's how you handle a huge collection where maxing return matters. Time is money: that works both ways. If HA isn't amenable to that or a similar plan, the they only get half or whatever lesser amount of the whole that achieves the same thing, and then CLink is approached, or ComicConnect, with a similar offers on the remains. The point is to spread the thing out -over time- to keep realization higher but also spread out any taxable consequences over multiple years. IMO.