• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

WTF does "Signed and Sealed" mean? 

10 minutes ago, glendgold said:

So these are all fake?

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So these are all fake?

Take a peek at any one of them or all of them....it's painfully obvious.

Halfway through the guy even stopped trying to forge Jack's signature and went with 3rd grade printing of the name.

1754488980_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_38_08AM.png.697b187a5d581562e9b2217a93c3f0cb.png

Then after the BIG. 'Signed and Sealed' in the auction title he tosses in this "please don't call the cops...." exculpatory language on all of them.

"This item has limited provenance, it doesnt have any documentation or cerfication, Sold "as is" to the manner or style of the artist"

On 3/21/2020 at 2:53 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Alternative thread name: "The Great Jake Killby."

JAKE KILLBY Charcoals are some of the scarcest and most desired prizes in all of comic art.

And to think the only ones I’ve ever laid eyes on are ALL in this auction.

5 hours ago, glendgold said:

i wrote to liveauctioneers letting them know that these are all fakes and they should take them down and discipline the seller. they responded very quickly to me and are asking for any way to support our claim that these are bogus. anybody here know of anything i could send them that might help? 

obviously its a very subjective area but they're so obviously all fakes.  @grapeape @comix4fun

heres what the website wrote to me:

"As you might imagine, as a technology provider, we lack the specific expertise on the wide variety of subject matter sold on our platform. Insofar as it appears that you are quite knowledgeable about this subject, may we request any proof or documentation supporting your claim? The more details we get from an expert, the easier it is for us to decide to stop working with an auction house and/or to take other remedial action.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and please rest assured that we are taking your email very seriously and are acting accordingly."

7 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i wrote to liveauctioneers letting them know that these are all fakes and they should take them down and discipline the seller. they responded very quickly to me and are asking for any way to support our claim that these are bogus. anybody here know of anything i could send them that might help? 

obviously its a very subjective area but they're so obviously all fakes.  @grapeape @comix4fun

heres what the website wrote to me:

"As you might imagine, as a technology provider, we lack the specific expertise on the wide variety of subject matter sold on our platform. Insofar as it appears that you are quite knowledgeable about this subject, may we request any proof or documentation supporting your claim? The more details we get from an expert, the easier it is for us to decide to stop working with an auction house and/or to take other remedial action.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and please rest assured that we are taking your email very seriously and are acting accordingly."

It’s a nice way of saying unless we can send them proof of fake-forgery they are helpless to take the auction down.

Buyer Beware.

We sell lots of things and we couldn’t possibly verify them all.

Maybe that’s true. I have to ask though. Haven’t any of the “lucky” bid winners of these “Kirby” originals over the years figured out they got burned?

I think it’s great Alex G demanded they take the fakes down. The tech savvy folks eventually will have to hire experts to at least audit the mass of fakes that come up for auction.

We just need to keep an eye open and the heat on.

29 minutes ago, grapeape said:

It’s a nice way of saying unless we can send them proof of fake-forgery they are helpless to take the auction down.

Buyer Beware.

We sell lots of things and we couldn’t possibly verify them all.

Maybe that’s true. I have to ask though. Haven’t any of the “lucky” bid winners of these “Kirby” originals over the years figured out they got burned?

I think it’s great Alex G demanded they take the fakes down. The tech savvy folks eventually will have to hire experts to at least audit the mass of fakes that come up for auction.

We just need to keep an eye open and the heat on.

maybe that's what they are saying. but i do think if there was something i could send them other than my subjective opinion, they would take action. i wish there was some simple way to quantify this. maybe if i was mark evanier or some other kirby expert with a published expertise then my opinion would suffice. 

i still might try to compile a list of kirby originals sold by heritage to show that the majority of his work were pages and covers, and that none of these appears to be either one. i dont know, open to suggestions. 

18 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

maybe that's what they are saying. but i do think if there was something i could send them other than my subjective opinion, they would take action. i wish there was some simple way to quantify this. maybe if i was mark evanier or some other kirby expert with a published expertise then my opinion would suffice. 

i still might try to compile a list of kirby originals sold by heritage to show that the majority of his work were pages and covers, and that none of these appears to be either one. i dont know, open to suggestions. 

That’s the rub. Offered as

• Sketches

• unpublished drawings

The scammers have more room to do the devils work.

We know they are fake from collecting, studying, knowing history of Kirby. The auctioneers want us to send them something that says, for example

• can’t be real because I own the real one

• I know it’s fake because I saw Joe from Chicago trace that THOR drawing from a comic

Kirby Museum, Evanier

or 

Kirby Family

would have expertise as would some of us board members but not sure what it would take to stop the auctions.

50 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

They aren't going to take anything down.  I've sent them all kinds of documentation in the past and they've never lifted a finger.  I figured that a) "here's the source material that was copied" and b) "here are the opinions of some experts" would be enough, but nope.  You're a good man for bringing it up, but nothing is going to happen.

3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

They aren't going to take anything down.  I've sent them all kinds of documentation in the past and they've never lifted a finger.  I figured that a) "here's the source material that was copied" and b) "here are the opinions of some experts" would be enough, but nope.  You're a good man for bringing it up, but nothing is going to happen.

gotcha. so they're just blowing smoke up my $&%*. oh well, i thought they were more well intentioned than that. i follow a legit japanese woodblock print seller who auctions on that platform and thought they would have more interest in policing who does what there. but seems not. 

19 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Is there a business review site on which comments can be registered about their practices? Some businesses have Google Reviews or Facebook Reviews baked in, but for some reason this one does not.

If you make a purchase from the seller, there is a review capability.  This auction "house" is in Peru and has zero feedback.  David

Edited by aokartman
edit