• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

Just saw this, so I wanted to relay it because I find it funny :

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=5597381

"This was something that was sold to us awhile back, that Rob Liefeld himself has said is a forgery, so we want to do right by the hobby and rid it from this earth. First to claim for $20 gets to decide how we destroy this forgery : set it on fire, take it to the gun range, run it over, etc... We will videotape and share the destruction !"

On 1/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, artdealer said:

Oddly enough, the seller lives in my town.

I’ve just sent a note detailing why the Thor and Captain America are fakes.

I suspect I’ll get spit upon. 

MI

On 1/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, artdealer said:

It seems that Kirby had an intern in the late 60s/early 70s named Rob, who now lives here in Saugerties.

Rob gave these drawings to a friend here who recently passed away. The friends girlfriend is selling these drawings to help pay off debt for the passed boyfriend. 

She is taking the art down. 

I asked for Rob’s last name.

An intern indeed.

MI

@artdealer @glendgold Were any of these four pics among those being sold on ebay by the guy from Saugerties? They were texted to my phone this afternoon by my friend from....wait for it....Saugerties, who has been offered these four pieces, with a similar backstory re: Kirby assistant. Mitch, if you get a call from a Chris in Saugerties, I suggested he reach out to you based on this thread and the seller's story that he shared.

110847.jpeg

110846.jpeg

110848.jpeg

110845.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

@artdealer @glendgold Were any of these four pics among those being sold on ebay by the guy from Saugerties? They were texted to my phone this afternoon by my friend from....wait for it....Saugerties, who has been offered these four pieces, with a similar backstory re: Kirby assistant. Mitch, if you get a call from a Chris in Saugerties, I suggested he reach out to you based on this thread and the seller's story that he shared.

110847.jpeg

110846.jpeg

110848.jpeg

110845.jpeg

Yes, Chris called me today and sent me the above photos.

I told him all are fakes.

MI

The Ebay seller selling fake Ditkos has returned again, this time with this :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/164586301247

(this is becoming worse and worse. At least, his previous fakes were fakes of drawings done by Ditko or fakes based on characters Ditko drew in monthly series)

Can some of you signal to Ebay this fraudulous auction, like I did already ?

It will helps, I hope, with enough returns, to prevent a collector from being robbed just before Christmas...

Edited by Ecclectica

26 minutes ago, Ecclectica said:

The Ebay seller selling fake Ditkos has returned again, this time with this :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/164586301247

(this is becoming worse and worse. At least, his previous fakes were fakes of drawings done by Ditko or fakes based on characters Ditko drew in monthly series)

Can some of you signal to Ebay this fraudulous auction, like I did already ?

It will helps, I hope, with enough returns, to prevent a collector from being robbed just before Christmas...

There does not appear to be a way to report fakes.

I like that in idea in general.  Although it heavily depends on ebay siding with the buyer (maybe they'd rather keep their commission).  And it might start a bidding war for what a few of those bidder consider to be fakes.  And that might draw in some dupes thinking something is real.

But adding on.. if you think it's a fake, maybe send a message to the seller to confirm the description.  That might give you backup in the refund/return process.

Edited by Will_K

23 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Although it heavily depends on ebay siding with the buyer (maybe they'd rather keep their commission).

This is 100% guaranteed "given", unless you're a serial abuser (in the eyes of eBay). That's easily resolved by a legitimate "ring" (as opposed to the other rings we see operating in this hobby :) ) forming to "take turns" winning/reporting/returning so no one party takes too many "hits" in the eyes of eBay.

eBay keeps their commission, so no skin off their back, plenty off seller that has to pay it though :)

25 minutes ago, Will_K said:

But adding on.. if you think it's a fake, maybe send a message to the seller to confirm the description.  That might give you backup in the refund/return process.

One can do this, but it just muddies the waters...eBay doesn't need a "story" from the buyer, you just question it and back it goes. As a seller, I've been on the receiving end of this, provably in the right too and still: buyer always wins, seller always loses. Just the way eBay is structured (and also why I've been reticent to mention this remedy, it can be abused).

15 hours ago, RBerman said:

There does not appear to be a way to report fakes.

Well, what I do most of the time is to use the "Report item" function.

And select the right option (see below)

image.thumb.png.4b03ef8ab5db2c7e835b80eea2a92ce3.png

... and, above everything else, provide a short proof in the comment section, which appear when you click the "Continue" button (I generally send an shortened version of an URL linking to the legit art. Ex : for a fake Kirby, the link to the real piece of original art from the Kirby Museum. Why use an URL shortener ? Because the web text field for the proof is rather small, so maybe a long URL to the proof wouldn't fit). All in all, you have to do your homework carefully, but if your case is legit, maybe Ebay will listen to you.

And, to conclude, thanks for the people here who helped anyway.

Edited by Ecclectica

I forgot : I contacted this seller several times in the past to tell him he was selling fakes (with proofs enclosed).

His attitude in the responses showed clearly to me he was not an innocent victim of the Kirby studio in Peru, but somebody who was looking to do a commerce of fakes.

Edited by Ecclectica

12 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Hey M L this sold on HA and then just recently by Romitaman. What’s the context of your post on this one my friend? I might have missed an earlier comment from you.

I know this went around $7500 at HA but did anyone catch the sold price when Mike sold it?

🍇 🦍 

I'm not a Kirby expert, but this seller has both a Kirby, a Simonson and a Robinson Batman:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Kirby-Darkseid-Portrait-Signed/254828504576?hash=item3b54f66600:g:-SYAAOSwAXhf975I

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Simonson-Thor-Sketch-Signed/254828506999?hash=item3b54f66f77:g:AxcAAOSwbYJf977j

I managed to ask Simonson and this was his reply:

I can't be sure, but I think this isn't by me. Some of it looks like lines I might draw. I'm inclined to think it's a copy of one of my sketches. The signature in particular does not look like mine, especially on the right side. So I'm not 100% certain, but it seems unlikely.

Malvin