• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

I tell you Glen when you shine the light these cockroaches scurry to a new user id name. Thank you for watching out for this.To newer collectors please reach out for help before allowing yourself to be screwed over. ebay is awash with monsters.If it's too good to be true...

I really despise these scammers.

I think I need to make the 45 minute drive to Hamilton to track down "rah-4224".

I haven't dealt with EBay in ages. Can you still get contact info for a seller if you file a dispute?

In case my post was unclear, I didn't buy this. I know better. But since I live so close to the seller, I thought about confronting him in person on behalf of the team.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332088216080?rmvSB=true

I think this is one of those pieces Mike lightboxed a few years ago, possibly for Richard Rae. I don't think there are pencils under the inks, unless someone knows otherwise. The inking style is quite contemporary and Mike stopped inking over old Kirby pencils a while ago.

G

This seller from Hungary, artforsale01, has some nice looking Bruce Timm Batman and Joker sketches and other things I was considering bidding on, but then I noticed that Jack Kirby Superman, the Bob Kane Joker and the 2 Dr. Seuss pieces. Always a red flag these days for foreign eBay sellers selling these specific artists' "sketches."

Whenever you see someone selling Dr seuss its a good idea to just run run run

That is not Kirby's sig btw not even close

It all goes round in circles. I got in touch with the Ebay seller of the B&W Kirby fake who lives in Ontario and I asked if he had any other Kirby artwork for sale.

He sent me this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wqesouu6q2ppxx/6.jpg?dl=0

"pls find attached the pic of kirby drawing i have, jack kirby stamped verso, gallery stamped verso"

It's the same piece that Glen posted at the start of this thread from the liveauctioneers website.

I asked for his price. I also asked if the inks and watercolours were done by Kirby or if Kirby only did the pencils. ;) I'll let you know what he says.

Glen, do you think Royer even touched this piece? I own a few pieces of Kirby Superman art from Jimmy Olsen (hate on me lol I actually liked those books, jerk Superman was fun!) But DC was known to significantly touch up Kirby's work in production. That stupid chin button (the cleft chin) and the wide teeth are usually something that was added in production. So absolutely not Kirby, but even if Royer ligthtboxed it, he did so from a copy of the comic, not even from the Kirby pencils.

Just looking briefly...

The shading on Supe's right hand is different. The piece on CAF has the hand shaded up to the sleeve. Just partial shading on the ebay piece.

Also the right thigh. The piece on CAF has longer stokes towards the knee than on the ebay piece.

The ebay piece is definitely "inspired" by the piece on CAF.

Bought directly from Mike Royer. Could be that Mike used the same drawing numerous times?

Yeah. The one on eBay is probably by Royer, too, as the lines look confident. I can't place the original pencil piece, but I feel like I've seen the pose somewhere.

Hey, look, in case you missed out on getting ripped off last time, here it is again. Or it's another one that looks just like it. In either case, don't buy this if you're thinking you're getting a Jack Kirby piece. You aren't.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332111677127

Last time some poor bidder paid $776 for one of these -- if it was a real auction and it was a real bidder.