• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

One thing the fakers cant get around is the need to trace.  Once the original is uncovered, the fake falls apart.  That Cap/Red Skull looked really close but something about it just didn't look right.  I felt almost certain it was fake.  Cant explain why.

6 hours ago, kav said:

One thing the fakers cant get around is the need to trace.

Eh no need to call this out prominently. Last thing we need is a comic art Elmyr de Hory or Wolfgang Beltracchi to emerge, leaving us all to either become vintage papers/materials experts or abandon previously unpublished altogether. Imagine a competent forger expanding an existing body of work in the style of and then sending them around to TwoMorrows et al to get some publication legitimacy (not all at once of course, over time and using multiple source 'submitters')? Bad news.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Eh no need to call this out prominently. Last thing we need is a comic art Elmyr de Hory or Wolfgang Beltracchi to emerge, leaving us all to either become vintage papers/materials experts or abandon previously unpublished altogether. Imagine a competent forger expanding an existing body of work in the style of and then sending them around to TwoMorrows et al to get some publication legitimacy (not all at once of course, over time and using multiple source 'submitters')? Bad news.

With the prices common in this hobby, what are the chances this has already happened and no one has discovered it yet? I've often wondered about this while watching something close at auction.

41 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

With the prices common in this hobby, what are the chances this has already happened and no one has discovered it yet? I've often wondered about this while watching something close at auction.

Except, high class forgeries by master forgers actually have their own perverse fan following. And some get quite valuable. 

On 2017-04-15 at 0:03 PM, glendgold said:

This is in Canada.  Kirby did do a pin-up like this and the pencils were reprinted in the Kirby Collector.   I think John had Sinnott ink a light box and add the Torch (and my memory isn't 100%, but Sinnott might have also added the heart-in-flame-motif).  In any case, this is a fake and a tracing of an original Kirby.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/52465373

are all of the items by this seller fake?

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/40783189_john-romita-srspiderman-520-preliminar-cover-signed

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47241626_1950-charles-m-schulzpeanuts-signed

On 4/19/2017 at 2:04 PM, glendgold said:

He did do a great job, but it's a fake.  I posted it on FB and the lovely and talented Bruck McCorkindale was kind enough to post comparisons.  For me, it was the firm line the guy used -- Jack's was more powdery.

I note that the screenshot below is a little small to really see the differences -- if you're interested, I'd encourage you to go to the auction and blow up details.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.03.23 AM.png

Thank you for posting this!

The art on this page is by Gérald Forton, a Belgium artist born in 1931, who worked for the French TV Magazine "Télé-Junior"

Regarding American Material for France he also illustrated, Hulk, Captain America, Battlestar Galactica, The Wild Wild West and many other licenses.

6 hours ago, Paris_Fred said:

The art on this page is by Gérald Forton, a Belgium artist born in 1931, who worked for the French TV Magazine "Télé-Junior"

Regarding American Material for France he also illustrated, Hulk, Captain America, Battlestar Galactica, The Wild Wild West and many other licenses.

Thanks so much for the information, Fred.

G

18 hours ago, Paris_Fred said:

High five, Fred!(worship)