Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

309 posts in this topic

5,582 posts

If we're not already there, have to be very close to: fakes of fakes.

173 posts

Why do people bid on this stuff? I mean the really terrible ones, just...why!? They are so obviously fake and look horrendous. I truly don't understand...

50 posts

Just saw this, so I wanted to relay it because I find it funny :

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=5597381

"This was something that was sold to us awhile back, that Rob Liefeld himself has said is a forgery, so we want to do right by the hobby and rid it from this earth. First to claim for $20 gets to decide how we destroy this forgery : set it on fire, take it to the gun range, run it over, etc... We will videotape and share the destruction !"

12,502 posts
On 1/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, artdealer said:

Oddly enough, the seller lives in my town.

I’ve just sent a note detailing why the Thor and Captain America are fakes.

I suspect I’ll get spit upon. 

MI

On 1/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, artdealer said:

It seems that Kirby had an intern in the late 60s/early 70s named Rob, who now lives here in Saugerties.

Rob gave these drawings to a friend here who recently passed away. The friends girlfriend is selling these drawings to help pay off debt for the passed boyfriend. 

She is taking the art down. 

I asked for Rob’s last name.

An intern indeed.

MI

@artdealer @glendgold Were any of these four pics among those being sold on ebay by the guy from Saugerties? They were texted to my phone this afternoon by my friend from....wait for it....Saugerties, who has been offered these four pieces, with a similar backstory re: Kirby assistant. Mitch, if you get a call from a Chris in Saugerties, I suggested he reach out to you based on this thread and the seller's story that he shared.

110847.jpeg

110846.jpeg

110848.jpeg

110845.jpeg

1,280 posts
34 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

@artdealer @glendgold Were any of these four pics among those being sold on ebay by the guy from Saugerties? They were texted to my phone this afternoon by my friend from....wait for it....Saugerties, who has been offered these four pieces, with a similar backstory re: Kirby assistant. Mitch, if you get a call from a Chris in Saugerties, I suggested he reach out to you based on this thread and the seller's story that he shared.

110847.jpeg

110846.jpeg

110848.jpeg

110845.jpeg

Yes, Chris called me today and sent me the above photos.

I told him all are fakes.

MI

12,502 posts
20 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Yes, Chris called me today and sent me the above photos.

I told him all are fakes.

MI

Thank you for doing that, Mitch. I suspected they were the same fakes (and scammer) you had cited above. 

2,767 posts

You guys are taking all the fun out of finding these undiscovered works out in the wild. I am really looking forward to adding this hidden gem of a Kane Joker sketch to my collection:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/93997108_bob-kane-american-pop-ink-on-paper-joker

joker.jpg