• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you guess why you probably shouldn't buy this "Jack Kirby" piece?
2 2

376 posts in this topic

This is in Canada.  Kirby did do a pin-up like this and the pencils were reprinted in the Kirby Collector.   I think John had Sinnott ink a light box and add the Torch (and my memory isn't 100%, but Sinnott might have also added the heart-in-flame-motif).  In any case, this is a fake and a tracing of an original Kirby.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/52465373

I bid on this before i did my due diligence. Now the more i look at it, i'm glad i'm out bid since it saves me hassle of canceling my bid. This looks like the world class forge we are all afraid of. All this guy sells is drawings of high profile uncommon pop culture artists. He has had A Byrne that looks off I can see in his completed, and his feedback indicated he sold Schulz drawings and Neimans as well which are often copied. I dont like the trend of only these same types of items

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Captain-America-by-Jack-Kirby-109-Provenance-signed-No-Res-Auction-/272630853342

I'm suspicious of this, but maybe I'm wrong this time.  What do you think?

Are you suspicious because of the seller, or do you see something not quite right with the art?  

If it's a fake, the forger did a great job...

He did do a great job, but it's a fake.  I posted it on FB and the lovely and talented Bruck McCorkindale was kind enough to post comparisons.  For me, it was the firm line the guy used -- Jack's was more powdery.

I note that the screenshot below is a little small to really see the differences -- if you're interested, I'd encourage you to go to the auction and blow up details.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.03.23 AM.png

Edited by glendgold

He did do a great job, but it's a fake.  I posted it on FB and the lovely and talented Bruck McCorkindale was kind enough to post comparisons.  For me, it was the firm line the guy used -- Jack's was more powdery.

I note that the screenshot below is a little small to really see the differences -- if you're interested, I'd encourage you to go to the auction and blow up details.

Ah, OK - I thought the pic you posted above was "the fake"!  I see from the side-by-side comparison that this pic is of the genuine Kirby.  No wonder I thought it looked real. lol 

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.03.23 AM.png

Edited 1 hour ago by glendgold

Yep, Like i said...the world class forge we have been afraid of. Its when they figure out to do this level of fakery on pages...that we are all in a trouble.

10 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

This is the type of valuable thread that keeps me checking back to these boards throughout the day  (thumbsu

I made a decision years ago not to buy anything but published pages from eBay and I should probably stick to that until I'm as good as some of the rest of you guys at spotting this stuff.

Agreed, I only buy published pages

Good fake.   Side by side it's easy to tell which is real but without the side by side, I don't know if I would have suspected it right away

20 years ago I wrote an article about the problem of fakes for the Kirby Collector (it's not on line anywhere and I don't have it handy).  In short, if it's a sketch and you don't feel like an expert, don't buy it.  Period. 

This one looked bad to me for several reasons, one of them being the size, but the other being the pointy lines.  Jack drew with a more charcoal-like pressure.  Cap's face here looked traced.  But I still wasn't 100% sure, because someone took the time to make it look convincing.

Yes, there are other ways to tell if Kirby art is fake.  No, I'm not so sure anymore that explaining those ways makes sense. 

G

23 minutes ago, glendgold said:

www.ebay.com/itm/282461163604

Apparently this is from that brief run Jack did when Cap's parents were retconned to be brother and sister. 

G

Some of these fakes are definitely better than the others lol