• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black hole collectors/collections?

77 posts in this topic

Red Dwarf Collector: A collector who frequently tells you they used to have a HUGE collection back when "art was more (fill in blank)!" before they had a huge sell off leaving them with the small relatively meager holdings they have now, only a fraction of its previous (supposed) glory.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Red Dwarf Collector: A collector who frequently tells you they used to have a HUGE collection back when "art was more (fill in blank)!" before they had a huge sell off leaving them with the small relatively meager holdings they have now, only a fraction of its previous (supposed) glory.

This collector also has a "SOLD" folder in their CAF of their gone but not forgotten pieces :news:

When one thinks of Black Hole collectors, one tends to think about those folks who are stashing away Ditkos and Kirbys or the covers to ASM15 and BA12. But those I don't care about because I could never afford them. If you scour the dealer and auction sites obsessively for their updates like I do, you'll notice some really nice pieces that get bought up quickly, but they never show up on CAF. Or what about those pages I sell on eBay that hardly ever show up on CAF. What gives? Were these just one-off purchases? That Black Hole Collectors that "scare" me are those stashing away the $50-$500 pieces, especially the 90s stuff (:

It's great to get the nomenclature straightened out :smile:

I've never sold a single thing, not oa nor CGC books :angel: Thus my collection is like a black hole, although light does escape (my collections can be seen on the web). And according to Wikipedia: "In general relativity, a white hole is a hypothetical region of spacetime which cannot be entered from the outside, although matter and light can escape from it."

Thanks to this thread and Wikipedia, now I know how to introduce myself to other collectors at Comic Con or similar events :idea: 

"(banging on the microphone in the crowded room) Hi, my name is Rasmussen, but just call me Rune. I'm a white hole collector, yeah my hole is quite wide, not that tight or dark really, guess you all know what I'm talking about - man it's just so good to be here, sharing our mutual interests and really getting to know each other"

:jokealert:

Edited by Rune

On 5/25/2017 at 8:43 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

When one thinks of Black Hole collectors, one tends to think about those folks who are stashing away Ditkos and Kirbys or the covers to ASM15 and BA12. But those I don't care about because I could never afford them. If you scour the dealer and auction sites obsessively for their updates like I do, you'll notice some really nice pieces that get bought up quickly, but they never show up on CAF. Or what about those pages I sell on eBay that hardly ever show up on CAF. What gives? Were these just one-off purchases? That Black Hole Collectors that "scare" me are those stashing away the $50-$500 pieces, especially the 90s stuff (:

Finally, one of my peeps. The three-digit OA purchase is my sweet spot. It stings when I spend four-figures for a piece of OA. It would sting a lot more if I ever told the wife I was going five figures for a piece of comic artwork. (If I told her six figures, she'd just laugh -- and rightfully so.) No Kirby for me, no Ditko, either. That's okay. There are other pieces I'd like.

So who has all of the Terry Dodson/Mantra pages that must be out there somewhere? I've been looking without success.  Dodson says he might have a few left, but he isn't in the mood to check. What about the romance pages by Gene Colan? I hear crickets when I ask about them. Or the hundreds of pages from I Luv Halloween by Giffen and Benjamin Roman? My wife and I loved that series, but we had to approach the artist for a commission to get an original.

They have to be out there somewhere. Don't they?

25 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

That is one cool story!  Was any of the collection comic related, or aren't you comfortable saying?

Yes, and that area of the room was set up like a publishers archive library. Not sure if there's any fans of Pop Culture Quest here, but there's an episode with Benjamin Le Clear, DC archivist, walking the camera through the DC archives. His room was set up almost exactly like that, and that was the smallest part of his collection.

Edited by comicwiz

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Yes, and that area of the room was set up like a publishers archive library. Not sure if there's any fans of Pop Culture Quest here, but there's an episode with Benjamin Le Clear, DC archivist, walking the camera through the DC archives. His room was set up almost exactly like that, and that was the smallest part of his collection.

(worship)

That's great!  I knew about this Jim Lee episode of Pop Culture quest (and have heard his Hamill voicemail message numerous times), but never actually watched it.   Great fun, and really get's the collector juices flowing.  The inking on some of the featured Jim Lee art is a little questionable, but other than that...

Scott

13 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Here's the episode I was referring to:

Kind of surprised they removed the #1s from their bound volumes.

The Aparo Death in the Family alt ending... Wow!

What was the big framed piece on the floor in front of Jim Lee's desk? Some kind of LoSH poster?

On 5/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, comicwiz said:

The most impressive of the three happened by way of a mutual friend asking me to check out this guys collection. My friend knew nothing about it, and I was basically called up one night to appear at his place. I had no idea what this was going to be about, but as a collector, I always see these types of situations as a PR opportunity with potential to get my foot in the door to buy stuff I collect.

I understand why you would've gone to see this collector. 

But (if you can say), why did this collector "out" himself ? 

42 minutes ago, Will_K said:

I understand why you would've gone to see this collector. 

But (if you can say), why did this collector "out" himself ? 

I actually quoted one of the comments when I wrote this, and meant to add some context. This was very much an example of someone connected to the hobby on his own terms. I think my friend had some idea about his interest in comics just through casual conversation on superhero films being made, and happened to have mentioned he knew someone that was an OS advisor. I think that may have partially been the catalyst to wanting me over, but demonstrating honesty to him when I was in his home is what earned his trust to show me the rest.  When he showed me the collection I understood the other reasons (this is the part I can't talk about).

Edited by comicwiz