• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black hole collectors/collections?

77 posts in this topic

So what's the opposite of a black hole collection? Where anything and everything is available, almost as soon as it's acquired?

I've got one of these types who's constantly writing me to buy a particular work from an artist I rep. It's not currently for sale, but if it was, and this "collector" was about to buy it, he'd dump it within weeks, if not days. I'd like to advise him that he has my permission to pretend he owns the art...that way, he'll get tired of it soon enough, and then we'll both be free of this nonsense.

"revolving door collector"

"ADHD collector"

"Short attention span syndrome collector"

"If I can double it then Imma flip it collector"

Heheh...top two are mine. I have another one: Renter.

So yeah, I should clarify that I don't mean flipper. Not the same, because not buying for profit. Just flakey and can't hold onto anything.

There's another. "Destroyer Of All Comic Art Markets".

That's when a guy decides he's got to have a bunch of pieces by a certain artist and bids up everything at auction and makes a bunch of wildly high offers for his work in private collections over the course of time, and moves the needle upwards for prices across the board only to decide that he's bored and dumps everything at a loss, taking that artist's market down with his level of interest.

Ah yes...DOACAM may have been the first.

I pity those collectors who are looking to buy from artists whose markets get pointlessly inflated by the Destroyer...

this is bordering on the absurd and you are missing the point. Of course if you could offer world peace to someone in return for art, they would do it. If their family was held ransom, they would do it.

According to Darren, that simply isn't true. I don't buy that, as I stated. Glad to see you agree with that.

We aren't talking about scenarios that would never play out. Time to insert the reasonability clause here for the question at hand.

You wanted "reasonability" in a hobby that is largely based on nostalgia? Then you are in the wrong hobby.

And again, you say the scenario will never play out, but how many people can say they got a piece from a collector, who had claimed they "will never sell this piece"? I can name a few I know about. I'm sure you can, too. Hell, you might even have a piece in your collection that fits that criteria. And I bet you paid way more than it was worth, too, just as all those who have such stories have. The price wasn't "reasonable," in any conventional way. It was just the price you (or whoever) were willing to pay, despite how "unreasonable" is was. And again, it was from a collector/collection that, had they been completely in the dark, even that possibility would not have happened. Thus, the only true "black hole collector/collection," is one that is never seen publicly. Which has been my point the entire time.

So what's the opposite of a black hole collection? Where anything and everything is available, almost as soon as it's acquired?

I've got one of these types who's constantly writing me to buy a particular work from an artist I rep. It's not currently for sale, but if it was, and this "collector" was about to buy it, he'd dump it within weeks, if not days. I'd like to advise him that he has my permission to pretend he owns the art...that way, he'll get tired of it soon enough, and then we'll both be free of this nonsense.

"ADHD collector"

Heheh...top two are mine. I have another one: Renter.

So yeah, I should clarify that I don't mean flipper. Not the same, because not buying for profit. Just flakey and can't hold onto anything.

That's when a guy decides he's got to have a bunch of pieces by a certain artist and bids up everything at auction and makes a bunch of wildly high offers for his work in private collections over the course of time, and moves the needle upwards for prices across the board only to decide that he's bored and dumps everything at a loss, taking that artist's market down with his level of interest.

I pity those collectors who are looking to buy from artists whose markets get pointlessly inflated by the Destroyer...

Grail today, Sale tomorrow :cloud9:

165054.jpg.58f09f48117eaab4ffe36f78211ea95a.jpg

That's silly. Of course he would sell his John Byrne cover (or whatever) for $10 mil.

We're talking about people within the hobby, getting the kind of offers that people within the hobby would realistically make.

If someone has a page worth $300 and he turns down $2k for it because he "doesn't sell his stuff," well that sounds like pretty close to a black hole to me.

Exactly.

Even the "true BHC" lurks on the various message boards. And if someone puts out a "I'm paying $1 meelion dollars for any page drawn by artist XXXXX" the BHC may reconsider their collection.

Nobody is offering a hundred million trillion bazillion dollars for comic art to shake it lose. This isn't 3rd grade. If someone turns down 5X, 10X FMV(real, legit offers) for a page, consider it gone, for the time being, in a black hole.

That's silly. Of course he would sell his John Byrne cover (or whatever) for $10 mil.

We're talking about people within the hobby, getting the kind of offers that people within the hobby would realistically make.

If someone has a page worth $300 and he turns down $2k for it because he "doesn't sell his stuff," well that sounds like pretty close to a black hole to me.

Exactly.

Even the "true BHC" lurks on the various message boards. And if someone puts out a "I'm paying $1 meelion dollars for any page drawn by artist XXXXX" the BHC may reconsider their collection.

Nobody is offering a hundred million trillion bazillion dollars for comic art to shake it lose. This isn't 3rd grade. If someone turns down 5X, 10X FMV(real, legit offers) for a page, consider it gone, for the time being, in a black hole.

This. Couldn't agree more.

Applying the other definition of a black hole would exclude every collection as at least one other person (the original seller to the BHC) would know some pieces in the collection

I don't think a Black Hole Collector has anything to do with sales. It's a "collector"

A person who owns something and either does not want to sell it, or asks for a non-FMV king's ransom is not a BHC. They're simply either a passionate collector (put yourself in their shoes, as you may be passionate about pieces you own that's not for sale yet someone approaches you to buy your possession, you'll either react with a polite decline or have the "it'll take $$$ to convince me to sell it" - - and those who simply fish for astronomical prices are maybe called CLC's Cool Line's Collectors :)

So, the true BHC simply wants to be left alone as far as discussing what they own and have. Most BHC's minimize their interests and possessions when others inquire with extreme modesty, as opposed to some CAF chest pumping folks who strive to have the most views or comments, they want to be way off the grid and underneath the radar.

any examples of artists who's work has been caught by the 'destroyer'?

any examples of artists who's work has been caught by the 'destroyer'?

Good question!

Tangent conversation;

I mainly collect sketch cards (original art inserted into trading card packs).

Quantity-wise, i have to be one of the top-10 hoarders and have collected every day since 1998.

I've also been one of the top-10 sharers of information & scans.

I know for a fact there are some buyers that have amassed massive collections, and not shared the first scan, or social media post. Cards from 1997-2000 are almost never seen anymore (much less 'for sale').

Somewhere there massive collections to unearth.

Did these collectors just box them up, forget about them, and put them into storage?

On 2016-09-13 at 11:40 AM, cmixer said:

Tangent conversation;

I mainly collect sketch cards (original art inserted into trading card packs).

Quantity-wise, i have to be one of the top-10 hoarders and have collected every day since 1998.

I've also been one of the top-10 sharers of information & scans.

I know for a fact there are some buyers that have amassed massive collections, and not shared the first scan, or social media post. Cards from 1997-2000 are almost never seen anymore (much less 'for sale').

Somewhere there massive collections to unearth.

Did these collectors just box them up, forget about them, and put them into storage?

I think that lower price point collectibles as I would think these mostly are sometimes are hard to find just because the owners view them as too much trouble to sell

On 9/12/2016 at 5:55 PM, comix4fun said:

"ADHD collector"

How about the term

Regurgitator

12 hours ago, -m said:

How about the term

Regurgitator

Just as we have high-frequency traders (HFTs) in the financial markets these days, so we have High-Frequency CollectorsTM  (HFCTM) in the comic and OA markets today. hm 

Edited by delekkerste

The Chameleon – tries to blend in as a passionate, diehard collector in order to buy something NFS or at a fellow-hobbyist-discount only to flip or grow tired of the art

Kraven the Hunter – hunts the big game with all-out abandon. Acquires art, stuffs and mounts it on the wall only to turn around and move to fund the next hunt. All about the chase.

22 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

The Chameleon – tries to blend in as a passionate, diehard collector in order to buy something NFS or at a fellow-hobbyist-discount only to flip or grow tired of the art

Kraven the Hunter – hunts the big game with all-out abandon. Acquires art, stuffs and mounts it on the wall only to turn around and move to fund the next hunt. All about the chase.

Love it!

Have not read the whole thread, so if this one has been already covered, sorry.

Brown Hole Collector - A new collector that comes in a with a giant wad of money and buys everything for 50% more than market, then decides they're bored with the hobby when they realize not everything's for sale, then have a fire sale at a huge loss.