• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

Those on the boards longer than I probably can link the threads that it's been discussed in...

But there have been many conversations on how Schmell started his collection/business, and also the murky reserve practices used on the Pedigree site. None of them good.

I'll be buying from the Donnelys again before I buy from there...

Am I missing something?

Why would you say that?

MI

I don't trust an auction that is run by a business owned by a single guy from software that was written for him. Not enough checks and balances in place for my liking.

Thanks for bringing this up. There was one item I was interested in, but I think I'll pass. I had no idea that it was all under control of one guy.

The fact is that you can still bid on things, you might win you might not, I just would seriously do a bid that you are comfortable paying for.

If you have a piece that really want and think is worth 10 K then bid 10.5

don't put a maximum of 20K like you might have to do on eBay or comic link because you don't really know if someone can see that high max bid and 'help' you get there.

So..if you can have auction discipline (i.e. unlike me) then its fine.

I have medium bidding control. Ebay and Clink are easy to just put the one amount in and move on. HA is where I can get into danger. I've been known to hit that bid button a few times after I should have stopped.

One trick is to drink heavily before bidding...wait, maybe its supposed to be the opposite of that...nuts, I think I have been doing it wrong! I tend to win though...

Those on the boards longer than I probably can link the threads that it's been discussed in...

But there have been many conversations on how Schmell started his collection/business, and also the murky reserve practices used on the Pedigree site. None of them good.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049021&fpart=1

Here's the disbarment record where he was disbarred on 48 sustained counts ranging from conversion (fancy word for stealing money from clients) to commingling funds to avoid liens. And that's how he assembled his collection....

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

Good Morning to you all. I was notified about these threads reagrding Pedigree now selling art, and as the Art Consignment Director I felt the need to put everyones minds to rest and update you on what's going on.

Firstly, yes Pedigree will now be selling Original Comic art and other related items in our auctions, and our daily exchange. This will go into effect with our October 10-20th auction. The ability to list art on our daily exchange will go into effect at this time as well. The reason that you aren't finding art items on the site as of today is that the website is getting a facelift and we aren't able to begin to preview any art until the site's new look is ready to go which should be in about 10 days or so. Because of this delay, we have begun to show some of the items that will be in our first art auction on CAF (Pedigree Auction House), and Facebook (Pedigree Art). Please feel free to check those out and like the page so you can follow our progression.

We are getting in some really nice items, and the consignment's keep coming in! We are pleased so far as to what is coming our way. Of course it will take us a few auctions to be where we want to be, but it's all baby steps.

As far as Doug Schmell is concerned...Doug has been in business for almost 13 years. He is an honest hard working guy. The things that are being said here really arent right or fair. For example, when Doug decided to sell his now very well known Marvel collection he could have easily sold it through his own site, but to not have people think negative thoughts he sold it through Heritage a few years ago, and they set record price sales on his books! I'm not going to say anything else regarding that as I'm really only here to alert you all about Pedigree's new venture into the world of art.

Please have patience until the site is up and running with the new look and all the art will be availble to see. And also if you aren't already registered, please feel free to do that so you can bid in the auction or the daily exchange at www.pedigreecomics.com.

As far as the Jim Lee Wizard cover goes, that piece happens to be mine. I gave it to Albert Moy to try and sell. He has had it for a few weeks, and it has not sold off his site, so I will be lisitng it in our auction with a reserve, and it will be taken off his site as soon as he gets to it.

We are working a little differently than the other auction sites, because for us it's all about the consignor. If you have ANY questions...again feel free to contact me with them or with any questions regarding the possibility of consigning art with us.

FYI: Our commission rates (only seller...no buyer commissions) are as follow:

$1-$3000=10%

$3,001-$80,000=8%

$80,000 -??? =7%

So at the end of the day you will put more cash in your pocket than other places.

We have also partnered up with Hero Initiative, and they will have a major presence on our website. We will make the availability for all purchasers to make a donation to this very worthy cause upon checkout of their won items. We want to help out in anyway we can.

We will be setting up at the September 25th art show in NJ. If anyway is going, please stop by and say hello.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope I was able to make things make a little more sense.

Randy Lawrence

561 886 8777

As far as Doug Schmell is concerned...Doug has been in business for almost 13 years. He is an honest hard working guy. The things that are being said here really arent right or fair. For example, when Doug decided to sell his now very well known Marvel collection he could have easily sold it through his own site, but to not have people think negative thoughts he sold it through Heritage a few years ago, and they set record price sales on his books! I'm not going to say anything else regarding that as I'm really only here to alert you all about Pedigree's new venture into the world of art.

I appreciate you posting about the art section that will be at Pedigree.

But I don't see what's wrong or unfair about posting the documented criminal activity of the sole proprietor of a comic business, on a comic site, and letting people make their own informed opinion. 2c

Mitch,

I didn't think you were one of these people who have nothing better to do with their time but person_without_enough_empathy and moan on these boards! Are you really going to go as far as say such silly things? Doug had a bad situation happen to him almost 20 years ago! Since then he started by himself Pedigree Comics. He has turned that business into a very successful business and is thought of very highly by dealers and customers alike. Knowing me as long as you do, and after all the business I have given you over the many many years........do you think I would go into a business with someone I didnt trust...or didnt like the way he did business? So you have to announce you arent "going to bid or consign" on such a silly platfrom like this for the world to read? I thought you had more class than that. Shame on you.

Randy

Ummmm...it didnt HAPPEN to him..that was self inflicted

Again people can make up their own minds,

if the art is listed on the Pedigree 'exchange' then you know the price you can make an offer and it works like Comiclink etc

if it is in an auction....some may have reservations about that.

Doug is a nice guy, he is hard working but the collecting community does question the ethics based on documented past activities.

If this is such a silly platform/forum why choose to announce it here?