• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

Bid on two pieces which had no reserve. Suddenly, a reserve. I'm afraid that's enough to prevent me from bidding again.

The "reserve not met" message isn't triggered until someone places the first bid on a lot. Maybe it's a bit disappointing for someone who thought a $5-7K FMV piece was really going to be auctioned off without a reserve at a $1K starting bid, but, it is what it is and I really don't think the lack of initial clarity is a big deal once you figure out how it's set up.

The fact that most pieces have reserves, on the other hand, is a big deal for many.

Coolines + Pedigree = :makepoint:

Edit: I rather burn my money

yes, I also noticed a number of Cool lines art (some with their "additions").

I'm watching 14 items in this auction, & everything I'm watching jumped up quite a bit. all 14 items haven't hit reserve, which has me wondering if anything will.

I mean, reserves are even more than the standard Cool lines 3x FMV.

I think what happened were with a day left, things were bumped to 1 bid below the reserve, so the next bid will break the reserve.

doesn't Heritage do something similar? there's at least more transparency on Heritage & not the double taint of these guys...

for instance

issue_image-000377.jpghttps://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/auction/comic_art/056410

AVENGERS: INFINITY GAUNTLET #2 COVER ORIGINAL ART(Thanos crushes Marvel)

ROM LIM & SANDU FLOREA art team - signed by both

this sold about a year ago on Comic Link for $1200 to Cool lines. it's ink only art, nothing by Ron Lim on this page. I want to say Cool lines had it listed somewhere recently for $3800? I don't remember exactly. now it's at $4250 on Pedigree.

I'm watching 14 items in this auction, & everything I'm watching jumped up quite a bit. all 14 items haven't hit reserve, which has me wondering if anything will.

I think all the pieces with reserves just got bumped up to one increment below the reserve, as I just put in a bunch of bids a few hours ago and all of those pieces have taken a huge jump, most with only one additional bid being placed.

This is why its hard to trust Pedigree comics. I always try to trust them and every single time something shady goes down. 2 different times the entire auctions blacked out near the end. You always see books that supposedly "sold" in the last auction back up for sale. The funny thing is the last sales are reported to GPA. Here is an example:

Origin of Captain America retold (from Cap to Nick Fury) in a fabulous Stan Lee story. The best existing and #1 CGC ranked example at 9.8 and BONE WHITE pages. This is easily the nicest copy we have ever seen and it is PERFECTLY cut with exactly straight cover alignment. Bone white cover too. Speaking of the cover, it is one of the best of the run courtesy of Jack Kirby and Syd Shores. The highest recorded sale of a NM/M example is $2,550 in 2009 and the last sale of a 9.8 copy is for $2,250 from our June, 2016 Grand Auction.

From GPA: 2016

(4) $2,250Hi $986Lo

Jun-25-2016 $2,250 Cert# 1209165006

If the sale in June was a bust, why report sale to GPA and then advertise bunk sale price to pump up the very same book? that just sold for 750.00 less 2 months later. This site is littered with this kind of BS ! If for any reason this is legit and can be explained away, its a tough pill to swallow.

1209165006.jpg

Edited by paul747

Maybe the reserves are many tens of thousands and Cool lines is using this auction to discover true MV so they can adjust to 3x that....sneaky devils!

I am currently the highest bidder on not a single item, nor the lowest bidder, I have not bid on anything at all..."the only way to win is not to play"

for instance

issue_image-000377.jpghttps://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/auction/comic_art/056410

this sold about a year ago on Comic Link for $1200 to Cool lines. it's ink only art, nothing by Ron Lim on this page. I want to say Cool lines had it listed somewhere recently for $3800? I don't remember exactly. now it's at $4250 on Pedigree.

It's still available here:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=303458

I'm wondering if such pieces ever were sent to PedigreeComics or if they all still are at Coollinesartwork. The scan looks identical on both websites. When buying from HA or CLink I think they always had the pieces in their hands, so they're able to check and investige the pieces if necessary.

If most of the pieces are still at the consignors, then PedigreeComics can do little to evaluate the pieces before the auction is over. I've always thought that the good thing about HA or CLink was that their art experts provided some security if there's something odd about a piece.

If you're sure Ron Lim didn't draw anything on this piece, then to me there's a serious error in the listing on Pedigreecomics - it directly states that Ron Lim is the primary artist of this particular piece.

On a side note over the years I've bought a few books from Doug, never had any trouble and I didn't pay more than usual compared to GPA prices - and Doug was very helpful.

What am I missing here, a couple days ago a Howard the Duck page from the same issue was on eBay and ended at a little below 600.

This page is already at over 1500 with reserve not met ?

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/auction/comic_art/056625

Bumped to one increment below the reserve. The current "bid" is not real. Same thing happens with Heritage lots that haven't met reserve before the bump.

I'll keep saying this until I'm probably dead, but I do not understand the point of putting a reserve on auction items. Just consign it if you won't let it go below a certain minimum. I know we don't want to lose money in an auction so hence the reserve, but if the needle isn't moving beyond your bottom floor price then that should be a sign that either the right person isn't looking right now for the piece or you have to face facts that you probably overpaid for the item and you will have to take your lumps.

If I see a reserve on an item even if it's one I really like, I'm just walking away from now on. The reserve prices in this Pedigree auction are over what the FMV will bear on some of these pieces. I can barely find a piece in this auction that actually doesn't have a reserve. What's the point then? This just puts me off the site even more so than I already was.

What was the purpose of this auction if it was just going to be Coollines overpriced material with impossible reserves and unclear auction rules and format (look at the confusion here, not a good sign when your customers are lost and upset on auction closing day)?

You cant possibly build your brand as a public auction house with these auctions. You cant possibly garner actual cash revenue for the time/money spent putting this on if the vast majority of pieces dont sell.

Anyway....its just odd...

for instance

It's still available here:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=303458

I'm wondering if such pieces ever were sent to PedigreeComics or if they all still are at Coollinesartwork. The scan looks identical on both websites. When buying from HA or CLink I think they always had the pieces in their hands, so they're able to check and investige the pieces if necessary.

If most of the pieces are still at the consignors, then PedigreeComics can do little to evaluate the pieces before the auction is over. I've always thought that the good thing about HA or CLink was that their art experts provided some security if there's something odd about a piece.

If you're sure Ron Lim didn't draw anything on this piece, then to me there's a serious error in the listing on Pedigreecomics - it directly states that Ron Lim is the primary artist of this particular piece.

On a side note over the years I've bought a few books from Doug, never had any trouble and I didn't pay more than usual compared to GPA prices - and Doug was very helpful.

Did I miss in the description where it says it's ink over blue line? I'd expect a reputable auction house to specifically call that out.....

I don't understand why prices are going down on pieces now. The Flash 208 cover was reserve not met at $42K last night, now it's $39.5K. The New Mutants 10 pg 11 was up to $1300 something last night, then it dropped down to $100, now it's at $695. This auction is all sorts of off.

I don't understand why prices are going down on pieces now. The Flash 208 cover was reserve not met at $42K last night, now it's $39.5K. The New Mutants 10 pg 11 was up to $1300 something last night, then it dropped down to $100, now it's at $695. This auction is all sorts of off.

Yeah, I was watching that New Mutants page and that is some really funky action. If I had to guess, all bids from one or two bidders were removed from that lot, causing it to reset to zero. Though, why that would happen, I have no idea. Doesn't exactly instill me with confidence, though, hopefully they get these kinks ironed out before the next sale.

It's not an auction. More of a "here's the min price we want" and hoping two people are willing to pay more.

And while They can do whatever they want with their site (which is scary to say the least), I'm not a fan of bumping to the lowest non reserve bid. Doesn't give a fair representation of FMV. Not that I expect FMV discoveries to come from this "auction"

I am glad I am not a big player in the auction environment! I haven’t bought via auction since the shilling fiasco (except eBay) and the more I read, the more I am not interested in bidding.

This “auction house” sounds even more treacherous than HA and the other auction environments. The owner is a disbarred lawyer for deceptive practices? A history of deceptive practices in the comic arena? Throw the heavy coolines presence (arguably, the most deceptive selling practices in the art dealer pool) into the picture and it smells like a recipe for disaster.

Ironic choice of name for this business if we aren’t to look at what the owner’s track record.

ped•i•gree

ˈpedəˌɡrē/

noun

1. 1. the record of descent of an animal, showing it to be purebred.

o

2. 2. the recorded ancestry, especially upper-class ancestry, of a person or family.

Coolines + Pedigree = :makepoint:

Edit: I rather burn my money

yes, I also noticed a number of Cool lines art (some with their "additions").

I mean, reserves are even more than the standard Cool lines 3x FMV.

I think what happened were with a day left, things were bumped to 1 bid below the reserve, so the next bid will break the reserve.

doesn't Heritage do something similar? there's at least more transparency on Heritage & not the double taint of these guys...

for instance

I just want to add that I have owned three pieces for years now that Coollines has for sale on their website at the moment. Even then, I got one piece through Anthony Snyder, and two of them off eBay. Coollines also has at least one piece that is in Anthony Snyder's possession, and is for sale on eBay. (As a side note, Anthony has never taken down a piece from his site that I bought from him years ago.) There is also another piece on Coollines' site that popped up on Will's Comic Art page. When I inquired Will about this, he said that it's a consignment and the owner has had it for a while. That piece is no longer consigned with Will, but the owner is selling it through his CAF. So Coollines (and other dealers) clearly don't review their inventory and update their websites, so there is a chance that it's not Coollines who's selling the Ron Lim piece. I could see how the high reserve is there to protect the seller from a huge loss because he may have overpaid it with the Donnelys; he's probably trying to compensate for fees and is trying to break even. This might explain the Coollines-level of a reserve.