• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOW VENOM #1 Gabriele Dell’Otto Color B&W Secret Variants
1 1

524 posts in this topic

You do know that spiders don't have their venom in their saliva, right...? And you do know that spiders don't even HAVE saliva, right...?

You do know we're talking about a fantasy world correct? *waits for the page of text*

..which makes the idea that his saliva is "venom" even more absurd, because none of the people creating Venom stories has ever portrayed it that way. See how that works...?

And who is "we"...? Do you have more than one personality rattling around in your head...?

*waits for yet another silly comment*

Falls for it every time.. :insane:

The one thing that gets me is I can't figure out why Venom and Carnage are so popular. I have never figured out the attraction to these 2 rouges.

It's a good discussion topic.

I had someone at a LCS go on and on about McFarlane, he was a total fanboy. He ranted about why Venom was so popular. He was supposed to be the epitome villain for SpiderMan and at the time, he was. It was new and innovative. The best villain for someone as strong as SpiderMan was someone just like him. Only bigger, stronger and evil.

Carnage was a further take on that formula. Eddie Brock was crazy, but Cletus Cassidy was completely insane. How could you 1up Venom? Make the character completely without morals or a sense of purpose.

And that really translates into a boring character, which was revealed rather quickly. Venom and Carnage, while not being able to carry a tune for very long, held up in the mythos by simply being bad . Not many true bad villains out there. There are more with a lot of depth, and most are just plain lame.

Probably a 90's thing. Most villains from that time period are simply over the top, weird looking mass murderers

The one thing that gets me is I can't figure out why Venom and Carnage are so popular. I have never figured out the attraction to these 2 rouges.

Personally, I like that Carnage isn't motivated by money or world dom. He's just evil. And Venom looks cool, and he kicked the cr@p out of spider-man which did it for me. When a Superhero is genuinely afraid of a villain, it's awesome!

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_346.jpg

Not the best portrayal, I'll agree....but iconic none the less.

Didn't Larsen admit that he hated the character and hated having to involve him in his stint or something?

Yes.

Larsen is on record as saying he hated the character, so he distorted the look as much as he could, a progression you can see from through ASMs 332,333,344-347.

The original McFarlane look is my favourite.

Personally, I like that Carnage isn't motivated by money or world dom. He's just evil. And Venom looks cool, and he kicked the cr@p out of spider-man which did it for me. When a Superhero is genuinely afraid of a villain, it's awesome!

Hey! Quit arguing about pointless !

:sumo:

#2 might reveal someone we wasn't expecting?!

Ready for that tinfoil hat?! Take a look at the language used to describe the covers:

Venom #1:

Color

B&W

Secret

Venom #2

Color

B&W

Symbiote

It'd be really cool if the color and B&W covers were of the host, and the third cover a separate image of the symbiote of Venom. :wishluck:

Ready for that tinfoil hat?! Take a look at the language used to describe the covers:

Venom #1:

Color

B&W

Secret

Venom #2

Color

B&W

Symbiote

It'd be really cool if the color and B&W covers were of the host, and the third cover a separate image of the symbiote of Venom. :wishluck:

Might be a stretch. One of the owners involved with these said on a podcast that they named it "secret" because they had no clue what type of cover the limited run would be at the time they commissioned it. Also if you look at some of the other names for other limited run books on the sales page they are theme names as well.

Yea, it will be the same cover. They just changed terminology. It's unrealistic the a painter like Dell'Otto would create an entirely different piece for the 3rd variant, they said it would take ordering another 3k books to get another cover.

Venom #1:

Color

B&W

Secret

Venom #2

Color

B&W

Symbiote

Might be a stretch. One of the owners involved with these said on a podcast that they named it "secret" because they had no clue what type of cover the limited run would be at the time they commissioned it. Also if you look at some of the other names for other limited run books on the sales page they are theme names as well.

Let's call it wishful thinking ;) but realistically I assume it will be one image with three different versions, i.e. color, b&w, then one virgin/pink/rainbow etc.