• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOTHAM CITY SIRENS (Harley Quinn sequel) starring Margot Robbie (TBD)
1 1

101 posts in this topic

I was wondering if that comment about Suicide Squad would snap back on him.

It Appears SUICIDE SQUAD Director David Ayer Is No Longer Involved With GOTHAM CITY SIRENS

harley-quinn-header.jpg

According to Mashable, Ayer "won't ultimately be part of [Warner Bros.'] plans" when it comes to the movie, something which puts its future in doubt. Reps for the filmmaker deny he's off the project and say that it's both in development and that a -script is being worked on but if that is the case, why wasn't it announced alongside those other movies?

Well, comments from Ayer during a Comic-Con panel for his Netflix movie Bright may shed some light on that. "I don't think people realize the situation filmmakers face," he said. "[Bright] isn't like, some  :censored:  standard issue studio PG-13 movie. I was able to do some real  :censored:  here." Ayer has only directed one PG-13 movie in his career and that's the critically panned Suicide Squad from last year.

A rumor had turned into multiple stories Gotham City Sirens had been cancelled to make way for Harley Quinn vs. The Joker. Once again, it was just a baseless rumor.

'Gotham City Sirens' NOT Cancelled, Still In Development

Mark Hughes of Forbes wrote Warner Bros. is still working on the movie with comment from an insider saying, “Harley, Catwoman and Poison Ivy are super important to us-- And a super cool team, too!”

Reports of Gotham City Sirens ’ early demise have been greatly exaggerated. The rumor was initially put forth by the Tracking Board, saying that the Harley Quinn and Joker movie would be taking its place.

These movies come in the wake of the announcement that Warner Bros. was also looking to develop an origin movie based on the Joker, not starring Jared Leto, to be released under a new Elseworlds-style production banner separate from the DC Cinematic Universe.

That makes four movies starring the Joker in total, with three of them featuring Jared Leto’s version of the character in varying capacities: Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens, and the Joker/Harley Quinn movie, not including Matt Reeves’ The Batman.

Will BABY DRIVER Star Eiza González Play Catwoman In GOTHAM CITY SIRENS?

Erica.jpg

This summer, rumors started doing the rounds that Eiza González (Baby Driver) was being eyed for the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman in Gotham City Sirens. No one took them particularly seriously but it mostly stemmed from the fact that DC Films boss Geoff Johns started following her on Twitter and the fact she shared photos on social media of her dressed in catsuits described as "the uniform lately."

Now, Gotham City Sirens director David Ayer has started following the actress on Twitter too and González has had a haircut which many believe is very much in the style of a certain cat burglar.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Will BABY DRIVER Star Eiza González Play Catwoman In GOTHAM CITY SIRENS?

I haven't seen Baby Driver, but I really like her performance as Santanico on the Dusk 'til Dawn TV show. She probably has potential to pull off a decent Catwoman. She would also be great as La Muerta... 

LM1_SCGN.jpg.95dc7cbd35d5c8f9f1748f485af8797e.jpg

I saw Baby Driver - she didn't have to do that much acting, as she was basically playing the "bombshell thief" and gf of Jon Hamm, so not sure we can tell much from that performance. That being said, there were some decent action scenes which I think she pulls off well.

Margot Robbie Advises DCEU Producers To Stand By Their Directors

Superhero films are a team effort, but as Margot Robbie explains, the team should still be working to enact their director's vision.

Robbie recently completed her first film as a producer in the upcoming 'I, Tonya', a film that is a product of a supported and singular vision. Robbie recently revealed what she's taken away from 'I, Tonya' in terms of what a producer is supposed to do.

“The most important thing as a producer is it’s your job when you pick your director to stand by your director,” Robbie told Metro. “You can’t stand by your director and second guess everything. There are times when you step in and debate a certain situation. You don’t want to leave any stone unturned. In my opinion, a good producer trusts their director, and their job is to enable that director’s vision. That’s it! That’s your job. If that’s your director’s vision, you need to do everything in your power to make that possible. And I think that’s a wonderful thing.”

That goes for the DCEU as well. “In the DC Universe, too, once you decide on who your director is, and they have a vision, you have to enable that vision and step in at moments to keep it on course if need be. I think that’s the way. I think that’s what a producer should do," Robbie said.

Sounds like with any new Harley Quinn movie, Margot Robbie is going to use that Executive Producer title to keep tampering WB execs out as much as she can.

David Ayer Confirms 'Gotham City Sirens' Is Still in Development

While speaking with Collider about his newest film, Bright, the Suicide Squad director was asked about Gotham City Sirens, the film about the dangerous trio of Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Poison Ivy. The interviewer told Ayer that fans on Twitter just had to know what was going on with Sirens, and whether or not it was still happening.

Ayer's answer was quite simply, "It's in development."

While this doesn't say much, it does assure fans that the movie is still on the radar, despite the fact that it wasn't mentioned alongside other potential DC films at comic con.

Now, just because a movie is being considered "in development," doesn't mean that it will end up getting made. For example, Gotham City Sirens, a Joker/Harley Quinn spinoff, a Harley Quinn solo movie and Suicide Squad 2 are all said to be in production and starring Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. However, it's a sure bet that only a couple of those movies will end up actually being made.

2 hours ago, bane said:

After Suicide Squad David Ayer should never be allowed near another comic book movie again.

With their realignment efforts, I wonder if WB drops David Ayer?

Margot Robbie as executive producer may fight to keep him.

David Ayer was on a Television Critics Association panel for the new Fox drama Deputy, which he executive produces and for which he has directed episodes. Deputy is in Ayer’s traditional wheelhouse of cop movies, with Stephen Dorff playing a deputy who becomes sheriff of Los Angeles after the sheriff suddenly dies. It airs Thursday nights on Fox.

Ayer’s last two movies, Suicide Squad and Bright, both spawned follow-ups. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn featuring Margot Robbie’s title character comes out next month and a Bright sequel is in development. James Gunn is directing the next Suicide Squad movie and we haven’t heard about Ayer’s proposed Gotham City Sirens Harley Quinn spinoff lately, so we asked him after the Deputy panel. 

‘Gotham City Sirens’ is officially on hold 

After the box office success of Suicide Squad and the breakout of Robbie’s Harley Quinn character, Ayer began developing a Gotham City Sirens movie. The film would have seen Harley Quinn lead a team of female supervillains, which may have included Poison Ivy. Birds of Prey teams her with Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez).  

After the negative critical reaction to Suicide Squad and other DCEU films, Warner Brothers changed directions on their attempt to build a shared universe like Marvel. When we interviewed Ayer for Bright, he avoided Gotham Sirens questions. Now, he confirms the film is on hold.

“No, I think it’s on pause,” Ayer said.

That would make sense. If Birds of Prey is a hit, Warner Brothers will likely want a sequel, tying up Margot Robbie for the foreseeable future. And whatever happens in Birds of Prey may preclude Ayer’s plans for Gotham City Sirens.

This year we’ve seen Harley Quinn on the big screen in Birds of Prey, her DC Universe animated series is awesome, and she’ll return to theaters just August in The Suicide Squad, but it sounds like Warner isn’t waiting long to get the next big screen Harley project moving.

In talking with multiple sources today I’ve learned that Warner has begun very early talks and discussions about what the next big screen Harley project will be. There’s absolutely no word yet on exactly what the project is, although I’m sure fans are crossing their fingers for Gotham City Sirens.

A couple of years ago, back before Birds of Prey was really turned into a Harley Quinn movie, there were rumors going around that beginning with that movie Warner wanted to feature Harley in some way every year in a DC film. 2020 is BoP, 2021 would be The Suicide Squad, which means whatever they’re talking about now could end up coming as early as 2022.

There are currently three DC films set for 2022: Shazam! 2, The Flash, and Aquaman 2. So if it ends up being a 2022 movie it could be an addition to that list, or replace one of those that could theoretically have to move.

Whatever it ends up being this is all extremely early, but it’s good news for Harley fans as WB is still completely dedicated to the character on the big screen.

E5J1iGKVkAI7czQ.thumb.jpeg.4a92ed5b50f861ede42b9ccb4aa63eef.jpeg

“I want to direct. I’d like to write. Those would be huge challenges but I have a story that’s been in my head for years. There’s a plan.”

It’s been rumoured that she will direct, write, produce and star in an upcoming ‘Gotham City Sirens’ film.