• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll - Is it okay to walk away from a done deal? PLease read post first.

Is it ok to walk out on a deal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to walk out on a deal?

29 posts in this topic

PLEASE READ THE POST BEFORE RESPONDING to understand question is referring to DONE deals. One in which an offer was made and accepted, or a book was auctioned and final hammer struck.,,,,,,

A topic I have seen discussed a number of times in various threads is whether or not it is okay to walk away from a deal.

For example, I have heard it said that if a seller sells a book (say on eBay) and then before they ship it they get a "better offer" from someone else, that it is okay to cancel the deal and sell to the other individual. I have even heard it said that after an eBay auction, an eBay seller should have every right not to send the book for what seems like any number of reasons (like plain deciding the "winning bid" did not meet his expectations, etc).

I have to admit this concept is foreign to me. Then again, perhaps I am old. I still believe that a hand shake is a deal and a man's word is worth more than ANY amount of financial gain. Maybe, these ideals no longer have value in today's society. So I figured I would ask the following question....

Do you believe it is okay to walk away from a done deal (as either a buyer or seller) simply because a better offer comes along, OR you believe a better offer will come along?

Edited by Hudson

This is a terribly phrased poll. Last comment before the poll is.....

'Do you believe it is okay to walk away from a done deal (as either a buyer or seller) simply because a better offer comes along, OR you believe a better offer will come along?'

While the poll question is....

These are two different questions, one is very specific and the other very broad. I would like to respond to the poll but I'm not sure which question I am responding to.

Al Pacino once said. All I've got in this world are my balls and my word, and I don't break em for nobody.

No I don't think it's okay to get out of a done deal.

Dave,

I thought of that exact quote right before starting the poll.

I remember seeing Scarface in the movies when it first came out and I always remembered and agreed with that quote.

Thanks for your response.

'Do you believe it is okay to walk away from a done deal (as either a buyer or seller) simply because a better offer comes along, OR you believe a better offer will come along?'

These are two different questions, one is very specific and the other very broad. I would like to respond to the poll but I'm not sure which question I am responding to.

Bob,

My apologies. This is the first poll I have done and I was having trouble figuring out how to get it to work. I kept thinking the poll was not there, because it did not show up in the "preview" section. It only showed up after I hit submit. I thought the words "Is it ok to walk out on a deal?", would be the title and I would then have a chance to further explain what exactly I was asking which is the more specific question. I would obviously agree it is okay to walk out of a deal BEFORE the two parties come to an agreement. Again, my apologies and thanks for taking the time to comment.

+1

I responded to thinking I was answering your first question before reading your explanation in full.

In answer to the first question. Yes you can walk away as sometimes buyer and seller are so far apart that you just have to call it quits.

Edited by The-Collector

I feel EBAY is essentially a 'written' contract. Not in the classic sense, but as the seller you assume the risk of your listing. If you are adamant about a certain price, set the reserve or fixed price. Otherwise, if it sells, and you aren't happy it didn't sell for as much as you wanted, or somebody offers you even more after the sale and you cancel, that kind of makes you a weasel.

Al Pacino once said. All I've got in this world are my balls and my word, and I don't break em for nobody.

No I don't think it's okay to get out of a done deal.

Dave,

I thought of that exact quote right before starting the poll.

I remember seeing Scarface in the movies when it first came out and I always remembered and agreed with that quote.

Thanks for your response.

Let me just put it out there. Your sig line makes me drool. :D

There I said it. <3

There I said it. <3

Thank you, Dave.

I honestly appreciate you saying that.

I have been very blessed to have acquired some nice books along the way.

For a long time, I did not use a sig line. Then I started advertising for an AC1 and it seemed very few members were taking me seriously. Thus, I dug out some of my single digit Actions and decided to put them in a sig line (just to let people know I was serious). Recently, I have considered changing my sig line or dropping it altogether.

When someone says something kind about it, as you have, however, I begin to think maybe I should keep it as is.

Either way, I really do appreciate you taking the time to say that.

By the way, how is that old vehicle of yours doing? I would love to see that in person. The photos you posted a few months back were great, but there is nothing like seeing a vehicle like that first hand. That is awesome! (thumbs u

There I said it. <3

Thank you, Dave.

I honestly appreciate you saying that.

I have been very blessed to have acquired some nice books along the way.

For a long time, I did not use a sig line. Then I started advertising for an AC1 and it seemed very few members were taking me seriously. Thus, I dug out some of my single digit Actions and decided to put them in a sig line (just to let people know I was serious). Recently, I have considered changing my sig line or dropping it altogether.

When someone says something kind about it, as you have, however, I begin to think maybe I should keep it as is.

Either way, I really do appreciate you taking the time to say that.

By the way, how is that old vehicle of yours doing? I would love to see that in person. The photos you posted a few months back were great, but there is nothing like seeing a vehicle like that first hand. That is awesome! (thumbs u

It's a money pit, but I love it. :cloud9:

Well, I think most everyone has had the opportunity to vote.

Obviously the poll remains open, however, I am happy to see that the vast majority of those who took the poll believe that once a deal is made, it is unethical to then walk away from said deal.

After hearing a few board members argue on other threads that they thought it was ok to walk on a deal, I had become concerned. I listened as they said it was ok for example for a seller to back out on a deal they had made if after the deal was made, a higher paying buyer came along.

I am old fashion and believe "a handshake is a deal" and I am happy to know the vast majority of board members appear to believe the same way.

Money is a cheap commodity (easy to come by). A person's reputation, however, should never be for sale..

Thank you to everyone who took the poll, regardless of how you voted.

Edited by Hudson

Well, I think most everyone has had the opportunity to vote.

Obviously the poll remains open, however, I am happy to see that the vast majority of those who took the poll believe that once a deal is made, it is unethical to then walk away from said deal.

After hearing a few board members argue on other threads that they thought it was ok to walk on a deal, I had become concerned. I listened as they said it was ok for example for a seller to back out on a deal they had made if after the deal was made, a higher paying buyer came along.

I am old fashion and believe "a handshake is a deal" and I am happy to know the vast majority of board members appear to believe the same way.

Money is a cheap commodity (easy to come by). A person's reputation, however, should never be for sale..

Thank you to everyone who took the poll, regardless of how you voted.

Bravo. :applause:

I would say 99% of the time it's unethical, although if you believe the other party had behaved unethically in securing the deal (lied, obfuscated or b.s.ed to make it happen), then it might be another story.

The other grey area is taking huge advantage of someone else's ignorance. While a buyer is under no obligation to tell a seller their asking price for something is a small fraction of it's value, they shouldn't be too upset if the a seller reneges upon finding out somewhere between the handshake and the hand off.

I would say 99% of the time it's unethical, although if you believe the other party had behaved unethically in securing the deal (lied, obfuscated or b.s.ed to make it happen), then it might be another story.

The other grey area is taking huge advantage of someone else's ignorance. While a buyer is under no obligation to tell a seller their asking price for something is a small fraction of it's value, they shouldn't be too upset if the a seller reneges upon finding out somewhere between the handshake and the hand off.

I think a handshake is a deal regardless of how much money I lose. If I put something up for sale for $X and someone agrees to pay $X, then I should honor that deal OR if I put something up in a "no reserve: auction and it sells for $X, then I should honor that as well, as I choose to use the "no reserve" auction format. What if the final hammer price was twice FMV, would I (assuming I am the seller) say, "No, I can't take that much, just give me 1/2 what you bid"? This is of course just my opinion, and I am not forcing this belief on anyone else.

In your post you say that it is also ok, if the buyer is only paying a small fraction of the FMV. So at what point does it make it ok for a seller to break his word and walk? Is it ok if he finds out the buyer is only paying him !0% of FMV, 25% of FMV, 50% of FMV, or maybe 90% of FMV? What is the "small fraction"? Is it a fraction or a $ amount? If the seller is only going to lose $1 he should stick to the deal, but if he loses $100 he should walk?

I guess what I am asking is what price does a person place on their word and their honor.

I am in no way insinuating that you OR anyone else is not an ethical person, or that you would not honor your word. I am just asking at what point people believe that it is ok to walk (for those who do hold that belief).

I have this situation going on with a book I just bought on eBay that was listed at $45 BIN @Comicdey. I took it (thrilled) and the next day the seller canceled telling me he meant to put it at $450. I was not happy but am a reasonable person and have offered him $300 for it even though I had a legal purchase at $45. He has not responded yet. I have suspicion that the book had already been sold in a private offer and that is why he canceled. 

A little annoying to say the least.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff