• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll - Is it okay to walk away from a done deal? PLease read post first.

Is it ok to walk out on a deal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to walk out on a deal?

29 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have this situation going on with a book I just bought on eBay that was listed at $45 BIN @Comicdey. I took it (thrilled) and the next day the seller canceled telling me he meant to put it at $450. I was not happy but am a reasonable person and have offered him $300 for it even though I had a legal purchase at $45. He has not responded yet. I have suspicion that the book had already been sold in a private offer and that is why he canceled. 

A little annoying to say the least.  

It can be very annoying trying to sell on eBay,. it seems they try by default to put you into positions advantageous to eBay themselves, they default you into auctions over buy it now , they try and make you by default to the most expensive way to ship .they default you into best offer, they default you into global shipping, you have to click off all of these defaults unless you are a selling pro and most sellers are not.

a good chance the decimal was put in the wrong place defaulting to 45.00 instead of 450.00  mistakes on eBay are not seller friendly 

i listed something recently that i started off with a low price because i thought it was an auction listing, but it was a buy it now and was bought within seconds, i honored the mistake because it was only a 25.00 item but if it would have been a couple hundred dollar error then i am sure i would have had to cancelled and relisted it correctly.

6 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Not “okay “ if that makes me “old” as well , then so be it - I buy and sell as well and that’s part of it - once you commit , that’s it - I can’t just get another wife if I have a better offer down the line .... or can I ? ?

I like the way you think.

Thanks for weighing in on this one.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, evilskip said:

I love how on ebay they stress that a bid is binding, yet everyday I see negative feed

back stating how the seller backed out and sold it to someone else at a higher price.

I can't agree with you more.

I consider this highly unethical and unacceptable.

Whatever happened to a person honoring their word and standing behind a deal?  Am I just too old fashion?

On 10/30/2018 at 2:21 PM, Hudson said:

I can't agree with you more.

I consider this highly unethical and unacceptable.

Whatever happened to a person honoring their word and standing behind a deal?  Am I just too old fashion?

What about looking at the situation less from a "backing out" perspective and looking at it from a "this isn't what I was supposed to get" one?

Most comic book sales are eCommerce based and it is next to impossible to see the nuances of every issue when looking at scans. 

I'm not advocating backing out of deals, but I feel like this is relevant.

5 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

What about looking at the situation less from a "backing out" perspective and looking at it from a "this isn't what I was supposed to get" one?

Most comic book sales are eCommerce based and it is next to impossible to see the nuances of every issue when looking at scans. 

I'm not advocating backing out of deals, but I feel like this is relevant.

Are you talking about returning a book, after you receive it, because it had defects not seen in the photos or described by the seller?

If so, then I understand what you are saying.  

This is about buyers backing out after they make a purchase for reasons like “they found the book cheaper somewhere else” OR a seller backing out because he was offered more for the book by someone after he already agreed to sell it to the first buyer.  

I am not advocating a “no return” policy on books that have hidden defects.