• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 102 vs. Captain America 100 and Iron Man 1

23 posts in this topic

Seems like Hulk 102 doesn't get the respect like Cap 100 or Iron Man 1, even though they are all the same age, and essentially represent their respective launch into solo long standing runs. I get Sub-Mariner 1, never really a top tier character from the Silver Age, but one can argue that Hulk was way more popular than Cap and Iron Man in the 1970's-1990's.

You can still find really nice raw copies of 102 for less than $100. Seems like Cap and Iron Man on average are almost double (triple) that.

Is it the Hollywood factor?

Seems like Hulk 102 doesn't get the respect like Cap 100 or Iron Man 1, even though they are all the same age, and essentially represent their respective launch into solo long standing runs. I get Sub-Mariner 1, never really a top tier character from the Silver Age, but one can argue that Hulk was way more popular than Cap and Iron Man in the 1970's-1990's.

You can still find really nice raw copies of 102 for less than $100. Seems like Cap and Iron Man on average are almost double (triple) that.

Is it the Hollywood factor?

Sounds like. Look at the other pair of spinoffs from those old former-horror titles.

Doc 169 heated up a while in anticipation of the movie this Nov., but seems to have settled (or plateaued). [e.g. VG or VG+ moving at about $100, but now available for less]

And Nick 1 never got much love either. Didn't notice the Cap 100 moving up much (must've been oblivious), only that IM 1 long ago moved out way ahead of the 'class of 68' batch.

I've always thought Silver Surfer held up well, black cover, and a shorter series.

Here were the main heavy hitters from 1968. This is is how I would rank them as far as current demand and dollars go, open for others to list:

Iron Man 1

Captain America 100

Silver Surfer 1

Dr. Strange 169 (only recently, due to movie)

Incredible Hulk 102

Sub-Mariner 1

Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD 1

(Then there were some others that probably would be considered 2nd tier, Captain Marvel, Captain Savage).

I've always thought Silver Surfer held up well, black cover, and a shorter series.

Here were the main heavy hitters from 1968. This is is how I would rank them as far as current demand and dollars go, open for others to list:

Iron Man 1

Captain America 100

Silver Surfer 1

Incredible Hulk 102

Sub-Mariner 1

(Then there were some others that probably would be considered 2nd tier, Captain Marvel, Captain Savage).

Nick Fury 1 doesn't seem to get any love on your list either.

It's an awesome book.

Iron Man 1

Captain America 100

Silver Surfer 1

Incredible Hulk 102

Sub-Mariner 1

Nick Fury 1 doesn't seem to get any love on your list either.

It's an awesome book.

Oh yeah, love Steranko on that title. Still picking up nice copies for $100 raw in the 9.0 range.

This is an interesting topic, I've watched the price of a 9.2 Doc Strange #169 shoot from ~$300 up to ~$1000. Surely anyone buying in right now at four figures will not see a return on that investment for another 20 years.

Look at this old listing of what it sold for a few years ago.

(it is long gone I already asked) https://www.pedigreecomics.com/detail.php?issue_id=9743

At four figures, this book just doesn't make sense for me to buy as badly as I want it. There are too many other massive keys you can buy with 4 figures. You're not far off from top tier first appearance books (in lower grade obviously) at that point. Which will have higher return rate per dollar invested.

Furthermore, what is everyone's thoughts about the fine points made in this article about these year of '68 first title books?

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/overvalued-overstreet/overvalued-overstreet-invincible-iron-man-1/

This is an interesting topic, I've watched the price of a 9.2 Doc Strange #169 shoot from ~$300 up to ~$1000. Surely anyone buying in right now at four figures will not see a return on that investment for another 20 years.

Look at this old listing of what it sold for a few years ago.

(it is long gone I already asked) https://www.pedigreecomics.com/detail.php?issue_id=9743

At four figures, this book just doesn't make sense for me to buy as badly as I want it. There are too many other massive keys you can buy with 4 figures. You're not far off from top tier first appearance books (in lower grade obviously) at that point. Which will have higher return rate per dollar invested.

Furthermore, what is everyone's thoughts about the fine points made in this article about these year of '68 first title books?

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/overvalued-overstreet/overvalued-overstreet-invincible-iron-man-1/

Hmmmm...while I don't agree with the comment by the author on:

I personally think there hasn’t been a more overvalued Marvel comic since this was printed in May of 1968 (I mean seriously, I can rattle off umpteen books I think are overvalued, most notably some 1990's X book with a terrible artist, and a merc with a mouth.)

I do think that it may be riding a high on Robert Downy Jr.'s portrayal. I'm just confused as to why Incredible Hulk 102 still seems to be a steal,comparing it to the other titles we mentioned from 1968.

Descending price order for 9.8 is:

Silver Surfer #1

Iron Man #1

Marvel Super-Heroes #12

Doctor Strange #169

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

Captain Savage #1

I think IH should be just below MSH, with IM comparable to CA. The movie phenomenon, however, has skewed pricing. While I would try for a SS #1, there's no way I'd opt for an IM #1, as its current value ($15,000 +) will not hold and buyers will be stuck with it (a la Werewolf By Night #32).

If you have this kind of coin, you are better off fast forwarding into the Bronze Age and purchasing IH #181, GS-X #1 and ASM #129, in that order.

2c

This thread inspired me to pick this up today. I had zero western and zero ghost rider anything books before now. I'm guessing like a VG. Price was good.

6sSXr0g.jpg

Love that cover :cloud9:

Love this book, bought a NM one off of Harley Yee ten years ago. :headbang:

Descending price order for 9.8 is:

Silver Surfer #1

Iron Man #1

Marvel Super-Heroes #12

Doctor Strange #169

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

Captain Savage #1

I think IH should be just below MSH, with IM comparable to CA. The movie phenomenon, however, has skewed pricing. While I would try for a SS #1, there's no way I'd opt for an IM #1, as its current value ($15,000 +) will not hold and buyers will be stuck with it (a la Werewolf By Night #32).

If you have this kind of coin, you are better off fast forwarding into the Bronze Age and purchasing IH #181, GS-X #1 and ASM #129, in that order.

2c

I would not be the least bit surprised to see WWBN 32 keep going up.Not sure about long term, it could go either way.

I'd put Ghost Rider 1 above Capt Savage 1, think it has some potential.Nobody gives a eff about Capt. Savage.

With the Marvel movies focusing on /gearing towards the Infinity saga , SS 1 and MSH 13 are safe bets.

MSH 12 is likely one of the biggest sleepers out there, also.As is Thor 165 and FF 66,67.

I actually still think that DS 169 will see a jump when Doc Strange enters the Infinity movie storyline, which will likely be soon.

There was an Easter egg posted recently from a Thor Ragnarok trailer with the Doc's address on a scrap of paper picked up by Thor....

IH 102 has always been a dog of a book, I think it will start gettinng up there when IM 1 starts to dip.