• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flimsy eBay packaging: Why do it...?

48 posts in this topic

It sure would be nice if someone who packs like this would chime in and answer jj. I'll admit to not being here all that long, but I don't recall anyone ever explaining the whys. It seems like, judging by how many books I receive like this,and the number of dealers on these boards, we could get an answer.

My guess, and I think it's a pretty good guess, is it's the cost. For some, saving every last penny that you can is paramount to their business.

"Good enough" isn't a phrase you should use when packing comics.

I just had a seller send me a comic in an enormous unpadded envelope with only paper thin priority mailer sandwich boarding that was floating around. It didn't turn out well for the comic. What can you do. I cheap'd out and didn't want to spend $25 for what I think is a $2 comic. On the flip side the overall condition is much better than his pictures. So it was a win-lose for me.

People do this out of laziness and/or lack of knowledge. I get a high percentage of these unfortunately because of what I tend to buy. The other day I bought a cheap lot and it was sent UPS, which is rare but they always beat up packages. This one was no different, it had a big rip in the envelope and looked like it had been dragged through a mud puddle. The seller didn't make it better with his packaging. Two manila envelope halves on each side of the stack of loose comics. Ugh.

Anyhow, it was $5 and I got a couple key issues so I'm not going to bother with sending it back. But this is just what happens. When its egregious and I'm set to lose some money I make a fuss. Otherwise I just chalk it up to life.

Hey, thanks all. Once again, I'm not a regular eBay buyer, and bad packaging is one of the reasons for that. I know it's a cr@pshoot.

I'm glad my book arrived safely, and will leave positive feedback for the seller, who clearly moves A LOT of comic books on eBay. Presumably these are all packaged in the same way, and are sold to comic collectors, at least some of whom understand the fragility of the item, and would prefer to receive undamaged goods.

Are all of these shipments arriving unscathed? Maybe.

My point wasn't to complain about the packaging in this particular instance. But because I have packaged and shipped thousands of comics myself over the course of the past 30 years, I used this case to contrast good packaging methods versus not-so-good methods in an effort to understand how and why sellers who also ship to collectors can get away with "not-so-good" (or worse) and not lose money, and customers, due to damaged books, repeated returns, insurance claims, and other hassles...

I'm glad my book arrived safely, and will leave positive feedback for the seller, who clearly moves A LOT of comic books on eBay. Presumably these are all packaged in the same way, and are sold to comic collectors,

I would not leave feedback at all. Why reward the guy?

The answer to "why do they do it" is almost always the cost benefit ratio is such that the benefits of quick and dirty packaging (where the seller would probably be able to do 3-5 x the number of packages vs correct packaging) outweigh the costs of refunds to a minority of customers who complain. It is a common model for those selling inexpensive books.

If condition is key for a cheap book from an unknown on ebay, I make it clear to the seller AND offer to pay for more secure shipping. If not, I would roll the dice and return the abject failures.

As an aside, I would also not buy books from someone who is shipping first class and using what appear to be new Priority materials for packing.

Who was the seller? Inquiring minds and what not ....

I would not leave feedback at all. Why reward the guy?

hm

The answer to "why do they do it" is almost always the cost benefit ratio is such that the benefits of quick and dirty packaging (where the seller would probably be able to do 3-5 x the number of packages vs correct packaging) outweigh the costs of refunds to a minority of customers who complain. It is a common model for those selling inexpensive books.

If condition is key for a cheap book from an unknown on ebay, I make it clear to the seller AND offer to pay for more secure shipping. If not, I would roll the dice and return the abject failures.

(thumbs u

Thanks. That really does make the most sense overall.

Know-nothing "civilians" who sell comics (along with a zillion other things), and improperly package them because they don't know how to do it right/don't care, are one thing.

For them, it boils down to ignorance, a mistake, or carelessness; for sellers who deal exclusively in comics, it's a calculation...

As an aside, I would also not buy books from someone who is shipping first class and using what appear to be new Priority materials for packing.

I'm glad someone noticed that!

Ripping off packing supplies from the PO = (tsk)

I received a similarly packaged book from the UK from a Boardie this way and it arrived completely safe "fortunately"

Luck of the draw and I love the book. An additions bend wouldn't have changed that but if I was expecting a 9.8 and I received a 7.0 due to damage it'd be a different story.

I ship with lots of cardboard and boxes as I don't want to chance it.

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

The buyer got lucky.

Don't know how to pack comics?

Easy solution: Don't sell them

Ripping off packing supplies from the PO = (tsk)

I honestly don't know why the PO continues to give priority supplies away for free. Charge $2 a box that is applied towards the postage when you eventually ship the box. It'd save them a ton of money and they'd have to produce a lot fewer boxes, I'd imagine.

I've had two all time favorite bad seller packaging jobs that I'll never forget -

Raw category: About 2 dozen initial nm/mt Wolverine issues, in a paper thin box that fell apart in transit with about a half dozen packing peanuts. The books were in fine (as in 6.0) condition by the time they arrived. Unfortunately this was about 10 years ago, back when you couldn't win a gripe with eBay or PayPal to save your life, but I definitely put his feedback on blast.

CGC category: I had about 20 Uncanny X-Men books, including an 8.0 copy of issue 2, shipped in a short storage box. No peanuts, no bubble wrap, no nothing. Suffice to say there were many, many cracks and breaks. I expressed my displeasure, and genius not only defended the pack job but also lost the insurance receipt (again, we're talking over 10 years ago). Luckily I got refunded for re-holder fees, but yikes.

Moral of the story - A certain percentage of sellers are just plain stupid.

so the book arrived without damage but you are upset that the packaging was not up to your standards- which you apparently never told the seller about?

Usually people gripe when things go wrong. Nothing went wrong. Amateur paking job-- agreed-- but it was effective.

The buyer got lucky.

perhaps you missed my point.

Communicating with sellers who are unfamiliar with packing methods prior to them sending you the item can help both parties out. Just because someone is ignorant to these methods or the importance on condition on value, doesn't mean we don't want to be able to find these books and buy them.

In the end, it is about a book you want. So getting it delivered unharmed should be important enough to you to contact the seller.

The buyer got lucky.

Communicating with sellers who are unfamiliar with packing methods prior to them sending you the item can help both parties out. Just because someone is ignorant to these methods or the importance on condition on value, doesn't mean we don't want to be able to find these books and buy them.

In the end, it is about a book you want. So getting it delivered unharmed should be important enough to you to contact the seller.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. If I'm selling ceramic mugs, I shouldn't need a buyer to remind me to use bubble wrap. (shrug)

The buyer got lucky.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. If I'm selling ceramic mugs, I shouldn't need a buyer to remind me to use bubble wrap. (shrug)

true-- and most times you don't with people who sell tons of various items. But when they venture into unknown territory, some advice on how to package can be helpful as they tend to see all items as widgets. A glass mug gets more attention in their mind than a paper/book item.

I look at it as helping them with this shipment and all future comic ones while also helping myself with better packaging. I sell a lot of different items on ebay- not just comics-- so I sort of understand their situation.

but yeah-- some sellers are just plain dumb sometimes.

The buyer got lucky.

true-- and most times you don't with people who sell tons of various items. But when they venture into unknown territory, some advice on how to package can be helpful as they tend to see all items as widgets. A glass mug gets more attention in their mind than a paper/book item.

I look at it as helping them with this shipment and all future comic ones while also helping myself with better packaging. I sell a lot of different items on ebay- not just comics-- so I sort of understand their situation.

but yeah-- some sellers are just plain dumb sometimes.

^^

A lot of sellers do not understand how easily a paper item can be damaged.

On that note, I don't sandwich books between cardboard sheets, either.

That can cause spine stress/ticks.

I do not believe this at all.

Some sellers just don't care or they think it's "good enough" But when you are trying to sell cheap comics to clear out some inventory for say less than $5 and they offer free shipping cause that's the only way the book will move, between the cost of the book, buying shipping materials, labels, tape, ebay/paypal fees the seller makes nothing. So to make anything, even just $1, they take shortcuts on the shipping materials to turn a profit. So next time you buy 1 comic on ebay for less than $5. email the seller and ask them what they use to ship comics in.

The buyer got lucky.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. (shrug)

There are no absolutes. I would imagine the following estimates are about right for the poor packing cheap comic guy.

If crappy comic shipper mails 1000 x $3 comics with $5 shipping

750 arrive damage free

100 of the damaged book buyers don't really care what their comic looks like,

100 care but it is not worth the hassle to do anything

25 complain and settle for a $3 refund

25 care enough to complain for a full $8 refund.

So he has about $275 in refunds

He can slap together 25 of his crappy shipments compared to 10 appropriately packed comics in an hour

With his way 1000 books/25 per hour = in 40 hours he makes $3000-$275=$2725 or $68 per hour

Or when "packed properly" 1000 books/10 per hour = in 100 hours he makes $3000 or $30 per hour

And you think he is doing it wrong?

Before you answer, think about all the amazon shipments you have ever gotten of anything thrown in a box bouncing around with a single air pillow. I am sure they are doing it wrong too...

The buyer got lucky.

I didn't miss it. I was merely expressing my annoyance with sellers who can't pack the stuff they sell properly. (shrug)

There are no absolutes. I would imagine the following estimates are about right for the poor packing cheap comic guy.

If crappy comic shipper mails 1000 x $3 comics with $5 shipping

750 arrive damage free

100 of the damaged book buyers don't really care what their comic looks like,

100 care but it is not worth the hassle to do anything

25 complain and settle for a $3 refund

25 care enough to complain for a full $8 refund.

So he has about $275 in refunds

He can slap together 25 of his crappy shipments compared to 10 appropriately packed comics in an hour

With his way 1000 books/25 per hour = in 40 hours he makes $3000-$275=$2725 or $68 per hour

Or when "packed properly" 1000 books/10 per hour = in 100 hours he makes $3000 or $30 per hour

And you think he is doing it wrong?

Before you answer, think about all the amazon shipments you have ever gotten of anything thrown in a box bouncing around with a single air pillow. I am sure they are doing it wrong too...

I'm not sure what point you're trying to illustrate. ???

He makes $68 per hour the way he is doing it, compared to $30 per hour packing them "properly" in the hypothetical example (which I think is pretty close for sub $10 sales), and you think he is doing it wrong.

I am not defending this practice. But buyers need to understand the economic realities of the bottom of the market and set their expectations appropriately. Understand that dipping your toes in that market is a risk and either explain your expectations to the seller and offer additional compensation for appropriate shipping or roll the dice and demand compensation when books arrive damaged.