• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NJ Art Con Appreciation Thread

40 posts in this topic

I love the art con. There's really nothing like it in the hobby. It's a chance to peruse thousands of pages, while hanging out with other collectors who share my passion for comic art. With the next show coming up this Sunday, I decided to start a thread to promote it.

If there any collectors that have been on the fence about attending (or haven't been in a good while), I highly recommend checking it out this time around. The parking issues are finally a thing of the past and the current room is double the size of the old one.

New collector/dealer tables have been popping up ever since they moved the show into the bigger space last year. That means more art walks into the show and there are more collectors to trade stories (and art) with. How many other conventions can say that?

Does anyone else have anything to say about the show? I know I'm not the only one eagerly looking forward to Sunday!

I continue to be very curious about the con. Though I'd imagine that prices have a great deal of variance.... does most of the art for sale appear to be in the neighborhood of fair market value?

It depends. Certainly, some tables price art a little steeper than others do.

But if you're looking for McSpidey Splashes or Byrne X-Men pages (or anything particularly "hot"), you'll find strong pricing everywhere. The art con will be no exception to the rule.

That said, most every table has a few pieces of affordable art that you can enjoy hidden under a pile of stuff you don't want. Half the fun of the show is finding it!

I continue to be very curious about the con. Though I'd imagine that prices have a great deal of variance.... does most of the art for sale appear to be in the neighborhood of fair market value?

It depends. Certainly, some tables price art a little steeper than others do.

But if you're looking for McSpidey Splashes or Byrne X-Men pages (or anything particularly "hot"), you'll find strong pricing everywhere. The art con will be no exception to the rule.

That said, most every table has a few pieces of affordable art that you can enjoy hidden under a pile of stuff you don't want. Half the fun of the show is finding it!

Truth I've seen, and bought a few things that I would consider very good buys, that other people passed on only to see go up in value relatively quick.

I will be attending for the first time. I happen to be in NYC this weekend for a work gig that starts on Sunday afternoon, so I am going to go down and see, but likely not stay as long as I want! I can't decide if its worth the effort to actually bring art with me though-I was thinking that for trade stuff I might try to take pix on my ipad and bring that to show folks-then if there is a deal to be made I can send stuff afterwards. I could bring a small folio of prelims and stuff, but not sure that is what people want to see. I do have a piece I wanted to show Robert Dennis to see about getting some stains fixed up though and its 11x17, so maybe I will bring a few bigger things that I might consider letting go. Benno

I will second or third the idea of testing the venue in a mid western location that still has a heavy population density like the suburbs of Chicago which might draw from Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, and Indiana. Might bring out a whole different bunch of us fly over people who just can't get to the coasts due to budgets and work.

Jay

I will second or third the idea of testing the venue in a mid western location that still has a heavy population density like the suburbs of Chicago which might draw from Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, and Indiana. Might bring out a whole different bunch of us fly over people who just can't get to the coasts due to budgets and work.

Jay

I'd be SO there.

I will be attending for the first time. I happen to be in NYC this weekend for a work gig that starts on Sunday afternoon, so I am going to go down and see, but likely not stay as long as I want! I can't decide if its worth the effort to actually bring art with me though-I was thinking that for trade stuff I might try to take pix on my ipad and bring that to show folks-then if there is a deal to be made I can send stuff afterwards. I could bring a small folio of prelims and stuff, but not sure that is what people want to see. I do have a piece I wanted to show Robert Dennis to see about getting some stains fixed up though and its 11x17, so maybe I will bring a few bigger things that I might consider letting go. Benno

I have not had much luck trading with other attendees. I think you need time for that and I tend to be in and out. I generally bring art and then put it back in the car after a bit so I can shop unencumbered.

I was not going to go but maybe I will now. hm