• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NJ Art Con Appreciation Thread

40 posts in this topic

Yeah, seriously if you are going...bring stuff to sell/trade. I bring 4 portfolios of new stuff every show, always make a few buys and sells in the hall and with dealers while im there.

Its like a swap meet, only instead of car radios and lava lamps its insanely expensive pieces of used paper.

Yeah, seriously if you are going...bring stuff to sell/trade. I bring 4 portfolios of new stuff every show, always make a few buys and sells in the hall and with dealers while im there.

Its like a swap meet, only instead of car radios and lava lamps its insanely expensive pieces of used paper.

How do you do this? I keep my head down and keep moving so no one has ever asked about the art I am carrying. How do you generate action? I never got the swap meet vibe but would love to tap into it if it is there.

How do you do this? I keep my head down and keep moving so no one has ever asked about the art I am carrying. How do you generate action? I never got the swap meet vibe but would love to tap into it if it is there.

Put a big sticker on your shirt... It's got to be a bright color and say I got great stuff to trade... Or get a fancy t-shirt made up saying the same thing.

I love this show and I've always thought that it should have a "collectors" table or room. Some place where collectors could show thier portfolios of artworks that they would consider trading or selling to other collectors or dealers.I haven't quite figured out how it would be organized but it would be a cool thing.

Sadly... I wont be setting up at the comic Art Con this Sunday...As I have prior family function to attend to, but I will for sure be setting up at the HUGE NEW YORK COMIC CON 10 days later.........and I will for sure be setting up at the big SPRING Comic Art con with several thousands of art pages.

Also...

Since I wont be going to comic art con, I am RIGHT NOW putting several several mostly very key higher end pieces of art on our www.romitaman.com website.

key art by the following artists will be added between RIGHT NOW through Sunday morning:

Art Adams

Sergio Aragones

Mike Allred

Mark Bagley

John Bolton

Frank Brunner

John Buscema

Sal Buscema

Steve Ditko,

David Finch

Russ Heath

Graham Ingels

Phil Jimenez

Gil Kane

Jack Kirby,

Joe Kubert

Michael Linsner

Aaron Lopresti

Scott McDaniel

Angel Medina

Tom Morgan

Jeff Purves

John Romita

Alex Ross

Alex Saviuk

Kurt Schaffenberger

Mark Schultz

Bill Sienkiewicz

Jim Starlin

Curt Swan

Bernie Wrightson

www.romitaman.com

I'll be putting the art up ASAP and I will be writing descriptions later so if anyone wants anything they can grab it quickly!!!

thanks

Mike

I'm going to be heading out there for the very first time. After missing the past two, it is past time for me to bath in a sea of pen and inked pages! Psyched about this.

Since I rep Eddy Barrows, I can bring any artwork from the inventory with me and am happy to do so. I just updated his CAF gallery with a bunch of pages from Detective Comics #939 and 940 this week and added the cover art to 940 yesterday.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=109737

Let me know if there are any pages that you are interested in seeing up close.

Getting my stuff together for the con right now and snapped a couple of quick pics:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1345770 http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1345770

] http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1345769 http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1345769

If you plan on hitting the show tomorrow, stop by my table and say hi. I'm in the corner, next to long time Byrne rep (& all around nice guy) Jim Warden.

Fellow posters,

I want to address two issues brought up on this thread. First, as many already know, Dan and Joe brought this concept to fruition back in 2009. It is unique, but it is also quite replicable, not just in the tri-state area. I travel to it at least once per year. Three (two are combos) other areas that can generate great turnout in the art community exist in the following cities:

Chicago,

Los Angeles/San Diego, and

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose

All it takes is one or a couple of enterprising individuals to make this concept work as promoters. Word of mouth travels fast, and, if collectors jump into setting up, then it can only create more excitement for other people to travel to it. Personally, I would love to see one pop up in the Southern California area. I would travel to any of these locations, but the promoter(s) would have to advertise like Dan and Joe do.

Second, as James wrote in his post about a swap meet, there is space outside the convention hall for collectors to set up and show their personal portfolios. Both of us did it. I do not know if Dan or Joe planned on having three long tables set up outside the hall, but it is a great place to lay out your material. There is also a lot of floor space to set up, but you have to watch the foot traffic.

As always, I fully enjoy this show. Running into other collectors like Benno, Hari, Artemis, Rich (who set up), Gene, Darren (both set up), James, Randy, and many others are what make this show so much fun. You catch up on both collections, families, and events.

Ciao!

PRC

I think the issue is the dealers. Getting cats to go to California for anything other than SDCC or maybe Wondercon would be tough. Chicago might work but its still a haul for these guys, easier but still its not easy.

In a dream world, they should make one the Sunday before SDCC around LA or the outskirts of SD, since most dealers are coming out west at that time anyways. Dealers can still do SDCC after since it'll be two days off between the shows.

Another day for dealers to show off their wares.

Hollywood types and BSDs have more chance to see the art on their schedule in LA or SDCC.

Artwork doesn't have to compete with the other distractions of SDCC (cosplay, getting autographs, getting toys, etc)

More artists would be willing to do the show since they are traveling to SDCC too.

Thank you for the shout out Phillip , and thank you to Hari Naidu for the ride down! I was only able to attend for a short while, but that was a good thing for my wallet as there was some very nice art to be seen and purchased. I did appreciate the opportunity to meet a few folks like Ben Bressel and Nathan Rose for the first time and say hello to some others like Phillip, Scott Eder, Albert Moy, Frank Giella and others I haven't seen in a while. Ultimately, while I love the art, a nice part of the experience is certainly meeting folks and being part of a larger community of people who enjoy this hobby. It is what makes the CFA-apa zine such an important part of my collecting and why I could really enjoy the comicart con though I didn't buy, sell or trade anything (but if I had been there another hour, I doubt that would have held true) Benno

Coming in late on this, but I attended and truly enjoyed the show. What took away from my personal experience was I was coming back from another con where I had just purchased a nice peice of art and it was a weekend getaway to boot. So I was bit hesistant about spending. Due to the all the cool/high end stuff there I also felt a bit "in the way" as I was not really prepared to spend big. So with that in mind if I was digging through things I would move out of the way quickly if someone else wanted to look as I didn;t want to be in the way of a serious buyer. Still fun and I would attend again if my budget was big enough.