• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUMANJI starring Dwayne Johnson (12/20/17)

62 posts in this topic

Box Office: 'Jumanji' Scores $7.6M Thursday

Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle continued its holiday sprint with a solid $7.55 million (+4.9% from Wednesday), giving it a $16.6m two-day total (including sneak previews from two weeks ago). The Columbia Pictures offering, which is a loose sequel the 1995 Robin Williams fantasy vehicle, is a key release as it has to prove that:

A) Sony can mine its old IP and

B) Sony can still make a decent tentpole-ish movie outside of the Spider-Man and 007 series.

Sony knew this, scheduling a national paid sneak preview two weeks ago (which made around $1.9m, thus giving it a $9.1m "opening day") and letting the review embargo drop that night, letting folks know that the $90m feature was pretty enjoyable, relatively well-made and entirely kid-friendly.

This is a decent start for the Dwayne Johnson/Kevin Hart/Jack Black/Karen Gillan action comedy. That it actually went up on Thursday is incredibly encouraging, as that puts it in a happier place than Sing or Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. It's still early, but word-of-mouth is solid and this one should be the clear consensus pick/group movie-going option over the holiday for those who have already seen/don't want to see The Last Jedi. We're still probably looking at a $35m+ Fri-Sun frame and a $50m+ Wed-Mon debut, although something closer to $55-60m for the six-day holiday wouldn't shock me in the least.

I was dragged to this movie yesterday but you know what, I had a laugh. Quite good family fun, all the characters have good chemistry, there was some cursing and heavy innuendo (somewhat crude) which will be lost on younger viewers but I found amusing. 

Leave your brain outside popcorn fun.

Karen Gillan :cloud9:

It definitely didn't require a deep knowledge of anything related to the first movie. Other than this devilish game that sucked people into its world.

They definitely did a super job of taking advantage of each actor's strengths. But I agree. The scene with Jack Black when he realized as a 'girl in a man's body' what happens when you get aroused caused a little bit of a discussion in the theater.

This movies seems to be tearing it up. May end up as one of Dwayne Johnson's biggest hits, ever.

Box Office: 'Jumanji' And 'Greatest Showman' Score Huge On Friday

MV5BMTY2ODU1MTMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY5

If Star Wars: The Last Jedi is this Christmas’s Titanic, then Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is this season’s Tomorrow Never Dies. Sony’s kid-targeted action comedy earned another $18 million (+44%) on its second Friday, bringing its ten-day total to $137m. The $90m-budgeted fantasy is aggressively overperforming, and we may well be looking at a second weekend as high as $50m (+40%) and a $69m Fri-Mon New Year’s holiday haul. This means that the movie may end the holiday with $188m domestic.

Yeah, this is a huge win for Sony and all invested parties. It should pass $155m today to become Dwayne Johnson’s biggest live-action grosser outside of the Fast and Furious movies (and his much-advertised cameo in The Mummy Returns). It’s already the biggest live-action grosser ever for both Kevin Hart and Jack Black. Heck, at the rate it’s going, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle could challenge Night at the Museum’s $250m domestic take from a decade ago.

If it pulls off that no-longer implausible feat, it’ll pass Men in Black ($250 million in 1997) to become Sony’s biggest non-Spider-Man/James Bond domestic grosser ever. Yes, there is lots of inflationary math to be done (Ghostbusters’ domestic total would be $638m today), but we can discuss that once we see how far it goes. Worldwide is an open question, but it already had $226 million global as of yesterday with lots of territories still yet to open.

This is absolutely a new franchise for Sony and a fine example of revamping an IP in a way that doesn’t remotely depend on brand nostalgia for its entertainment value or its marketing might. And, if I may, I still argue that Sony should make these kind of mid-budget, star-driven and kid-friendly action fantasies into a stock-and-trade. And, without knowing the gritty details, I genuinely think that Sony should wait for Jack Black to be available for Goosebumps 2.

Pending releases:

India: 29 December 2017

Poland: 29 December 2017

Romania: 29 December 2017

Turkey: 29 December 2017

Taiwan: 29 December 2017

Italy: 1 January 2018

South Korea: 3 January 2018

Argentina: 4 January 2018

Brazil: 4 January 2018

New Zealand: 4 January 2018

Italy: 5 January 2018

Greece: 11 January 2018

China: 12 January 2018

Norway: 12 January 2018

Japan: March 2018

8 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Found it funny and entertaining but could hear kids nearby asking parents all about the adult jokes in the movie.

Same here!

The multiple "Erect" jokes (really like 3-4 times) is what led to kids asking what that meant. Especially when Jack Black got excited when talking with Nick Jonas.

Edited by Bosco685

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, nearmint said:

I saw an advanced screening last Friday.  It's a fun movie.  Not great, but consistently entertaining.

this is how I felt.  You get what you came for.  The first Jumanji had heart.  Most of the other stuff changed, other than that they're still mostly in a jungle.  But the fun and the heart are still there.  A good family movie.  If you've already seen Coco and want another family movie, watch Jumanji.

• Fast & Furious 7: $1,516,045,911
  • The Fate of the Furious: $1,235,761,498
  • Fast & Furious 6: $788,679,850
  • Moana: $643,331,111
  • Fast Five: $626,137,675
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $519,372,666

That's some box office strength. Though with those Fast movies, it's such a mix of characters.

Edited by Bosco685
Jumanji box office updated

Watched this movie today with wife , daughter and son-in-law and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Our family loves the original Jumanji and never they thought they could do a remake and have it turn out well.  I am glad they pulled it off.  There is something for most anyone in it and the concept is different enough that it can be enjoyed on it's own merit.   Bravo.

The Rock was the highest-paid actor of 2016 (at $64 million+) for a reason.

He consistently makes his projects better.

I love that, because he's clearly put in the work to improve his acting since his Scorpion King days.

He also has a clear sense of humor, going all the way back to Southland Tales (2006).

I'm not really a fan of the Rock or any of his movies. His acting is slightly above his wrestling persona performance. However, he's great in Ballers. He definitely pulls it off there. My kids and I loved the original Jumanji so we'll give this one a shot.

10 minutes ago, Reader said:

I'm not really a fan of the Rock or any of his movies. His acting is slightly above his wrestling persona performance. However, he's great in Ballers. He definitely pulls it off there. My kids and I loved the original Jumanji so we'll give this one a shot.

This movie is a follow-up to the original film. It even has at least one nod to Robin Williams' character from the first movie. So it does try to be part of an already established universe.

WOW!

FORBES.COM: Box Office: The Rock's 'Jumanji' To Become Sony's Biggest Non-'Spider-Man' Grosser

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle topped $300 million domestic yesterday, thanks to another over/under $5m (-17%). That positions the Sony smash for a $20.8m (-26%) fifth Fri-Sun weekend and a new $317.8M domestic cume. If that estimate holds up, the film will have the sixth-biggest fifth weekend ever behind The Sixth Sense ($22.8m in 1999), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($26.3m in 2016), Frozen ($28.5m in 2013), Titanic ($30m in 1998) and Avatar ($42.7m in 2010). So, yeah, this one won’t quit and might not until Walt Disney and Marvel’s Black Panther opens in about a month.

As of today’s numbers, Jumanji will pass Skyfall ($304 million in 2012) to become Sony’s biggest “not Spider-Man” release ever, below only Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334m), Spider-Man 3 ($336m in 2007), Spider-Man 2 ($374m in 2004) and Spider-Man ($403m in 2002). It has stopped acting like Tomorrow Never Dies to Titanic and has started acting like Spider-Man to Attack of the Clones. Yes, Star Wars: The Last Jedi will make nearly double the raw numbers, but I might argue that the star-driven, kid-targeted, $90m action comedy (which is now way over $700m worldwide) is the bigger story of the season.

By the way, between Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($863 million worldwide) and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($700m+), Karen Gillan may be the biggest-grossing actress of 2017.

• Domestic: $301,795,148 (43.9%)
  • Foreign: $385,026,090 (56.1%)
  • Worldwide: $686,821,238