• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko Exhibition, Spain, commencing September 29

19 posts in this topic

Ditko.jpg

As I'm a contributor to this OA exhibit, with two 1960s Captain Atom covers on loan, I received the above invitation yesterday.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to the opening night, but will be making the trip to Palma early October.

Planning to take a good selection of photos on the day of my visit, so will be sure to post them here upon my return. Can't wait . . . to visit all those Spanish bars (the Ditko exhibition sounds good, too!). :grin:

At his age, it would take a lot for me to want to travel that far, even if it was a show in my honor, and even if I liked that sort of thing in the first place. Not all 90 year olds are spry like Stan!

Paris_Fred is the curator of this exhibition, and mentioned to me months ago that Ditko wasn't in good enough health to attend the opening.

I was trying to go, but unfortunately was unable. Looking forward to pictures and the catalog.

Hi,

Thanks Terry and my other friends for supporting this incredible exhibition.

The show will include over 100 pieces of art plus reproductions and other goodies.

Catalog published by IDW/Editions Déesse will be 376 pages and will include 950 illustrations! it will be available from your local dealers by the end of October.

Ditko%20Unleashed%20-%20Cover%20definitifsrvb.jpg

3 years of very hard work for an incredible book! :takeit:

Terry will post pictures, I will take some too.

All the best.

Paris_Fred

Hi,

Dates are September 29 to January 7.

There will be no Spanish edition for this book (softcover), only the IDW/Editions Deesse Hard Cover, bi-language English/Spanish like for Big John Buscema, WoodWork: Wallace Wood and Flesh & Steel the Art of Russ Heath, I did with Florentino Florez, in the past.

Now, I don't know if the museum will have copies, they need to order them from the US, will know next week.

Hope this help

Too bad you can't make it to the exhibit, although that is short notice. Thanks for posting, this is the most information I've seen about this event.

Living in the US, it's not clear where this will even be held. The invitation posted above states Espai Born on Casal Solleric - a quick google shows Espai Born in the NE corner of Spain and Casal Solleric in a island just east of Spain. But I don't speak Spanish so maybe it makes more sense if one does.

Is there a website that posts hours, exact location, admission cost, etc?

From previous Expositions Fred put on I'm pretty sure it is the city of Palma on the Spanish island of Mallorca.

Casal Solleric is the museum/manor house where there are always temporary art exhibits.

This multilingual website should help you out : http://casalsolleric.palma.cat/portal/PALMA/solleric/solleric_principal1.jsp?codResi=1&language=en

OK;

Some more information:

Casal Solleric is located:

Passeig del Born, 27

07012 Palma (Illes Balears)

Spain (Europe)

The museum is open:

Tuesday to Saturday 11 h to 14 h - 15:30 to 20:30 h,

Sunday and Public Holidays 11 to 14:30h

Monday closed.

You can Google "Casal Solleric" Palma, to make you an idea of the location. Google Map On the street maps pictures are a little bit old.

Have no idea of the admission costs but don't think it's high, it might be free.

From the USA, plane to Barcelona or Madrid, then plane to Palma, might be direct planes from the USA but don't think.

The center of the city is at 30 minutes by bus.

Hope this will help, if you need more, let me know.

Fred

Just to let you know that the Ditko Unleashed catalog is out, you can find it today at your local comic book store if they order enough copies. :blush:

Pictures of the exhibition can be found here in Terry's Gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=178300

Catalog:

Ditko%20Unleashed%20-%20Cover%20definitif1.jpg

Some Doctor Strange:

Strange1.jpg

Some Spider-Man:

ASM_1.jpg

More Spider-Man:

ASM33.jpg

Then some Warren:

Warren.jpg

Show still on ! :acclaim:

Knowing of Steve Ditko's general public disposition, I speculate he would not only decline attending, but may even hold this to a grumpy level of disdain, despite it being a positive tribute and respectful acknowledgement of the man.

i think this would make for a wonderful traveling exhibit to tour the cities of various comic conventions throughout the USA too.