• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent grades, recent pickups and the "other " other guys. posted by Rockblazer

7 posts in this topic

I popped out a book from the "other " other guys to see if I was right. Thanks for the idea Tnerb.

I recently renewed my membership and wanted to use my $150 credit. I always struggle to pick which books will make the cut. This year I decided to make a grading comparison. The owner of my favorite comic shop always makes it a point to let me know his grading is stricter than CGC's every single time I go there.

Now in the past I have found he's normally 1/2 a grade above the CGC grade 90% of the time. This time I sent three raw copies from his shop and one copy I popped out of a CGC competitor. I'm stealing this from Tnerb but I call them the "other " other guys.

They have been around for awhile so I think you know who they are.

I tested them years ago against CGC and thought their grading was off and CGC won. I had a Silver Surfer 4 which I thought was undergraded and popped it out. Those guys had it at 7.0. I sent it to CGC this time and it came back at 8.5! I feel an error has been corrected.

The three shop books sent in were a Conan 1 at 7.5. An Avengers 12 at 8.0 and a Marvel Premiere 15 at NM-.

Well this time all three books came back at exactly the same grade from CGC as the shop owner. So I was happy with the results.

He will still bring it up even though I try to avoid that conversation each time I am there. Some recent pickups are The Thing #16 9.4 from 1954 ( Charlton). I have thought of collecting this title for a few years but this copy was about half price from some others I have seen listed. So it was a good time to start on this title.

I picked up a Turok 66 9.6 file copy for $60 which was a great price. I did get a Swamp Thing 7 9.6 ( Batman appearance). I also got a weekend off which makes me very happy as I don't see many of them each year. Thanks for reading.

17659.JPG

See more journals by Rockblazer

I found that the more I try to find out the differences/similarities of any third party grading company has taken away funds to buy something new. At NYCC my goal is to buy something new (to me). I think I might take a page from your book and see what my LCS has something graded compared to what CGC will grade it. Thanks for your journal.

Very nice books Rockblazer !

Glad the decision on popping the Silver Surfer #4 out went well for you!

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Looking forward to meeting up with you again at next year's Gem City Comic Con.

Rude_Badger

Yes,

I will be there. I have to put in my vacation days for next year in November so I will make sure that weekend is reserved. Just started a week of vacation tonight. So I thought I would start it off right by scouring the Internet for comics. Hope your new job is still going well. Good to hear from you.