• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Variants the New Thing Now?

29 posts in this topic

First, the Dell'Otto Ghost Rider & Venom "Secret" variants were put out with a print run of 500 and instantly sold out with no art shown. Now, KRS Comics has a Tyler Kirkham Spider-Man Renew Your Vows "Secret Variant" with a print of 800 for pre-order with no art shown as well. As nice as the Deadpool Back in Black looks, I'm sure this will be just as nice. Is this a trend developing? Has modern comic collecting moved from art to rarity?

Here's the link to the KRS Variant:

https://krscomics.com/collections/krs-comics-exclusives/products/renew-your-vows-1-krs-comics-exclusive-tyler-kirkham-variant-set-coming-soon

Shooting themselves in the face.

Example:

500 Secret Variant (Now the speculators desire)

1500 Sketch, maybe a few sales, but not as "cool" or "rare" as the secret variant.

3000 Color that now, because of the "Secret" variant, has no real desirability or real secondary market desires because A) was being sold to speculators trying to flip before the "Secret" was announced, and B) will only be purchased by "completionists" looking to complete the run, and C) will be the discounted issue with tons of back stock still only because the "Secret" variants stature has killed the want for the higher printed versions, and made them all lesser desireable books.

First, the Dell'Otto Ghost Rider & Venom "Secret" variants were put out with a print run of 500 and instantly sold out with no art shown. Now, KRS Comics has a Tyler Kirkham Spider-Man Renew Your Vows "Secret Variant" with a print of 800 for pre-order with no art shown as well. As nice as the Deadpool Back in Black looks, I'm sure this will be just as nice. Is this a trend developing? Has modern comic collecting moved from art to rarity?

https://krscomics.com/collections/krs-comics-exclusives/products/renew-your-vows-1-krs-comics-exclusive-tyler-kirkham-variant-set-coming-soon

Where does the print run information come from?

What attracts me to variants is the art, not the scarcity. Hiding the art from me doesn't make me want to buy it.

It's not hidden, the art just isn't done yet.

Exactly, so they're selling something that doesn't exist. I have no interest. That's all I'm saying. When I see it, and then if I like it, I might purchase it.

It'll go on for a while until a few guys get fed their lunch, like with Sixth Gun and the Nowhere Men limited variants, then we'll move on to the next latest and greatest trend.

It'll go on for a while until a few guys get fed their lunch, like with Sixth Gun and the Nowhere Men limited variants, then we'll move on to the next latest and greatest trend.

For the same amount of money, you can buy a complete run of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and have a great time enjoying one of the greatest runs in the history of comics.

Or...ya know...play the Franklin Mint Game.

And that (those) variant(s) is/are Frankie's Comics variant, commissioned by, and exclusively available through, them?

Frankies and Sad Lemon combined commission.

https://sadlemoncomics.com/collections/frankies-lemons-for-sale-dellotto-variants

That's about $500 (uk to us$).... Thats a pretty steep coins for something nobody's ever seen.....

What if the covers just a stick person.......

Still better than JR Jr. or Ramos art.

^^

There are no secrets.

"Secret" by nature of marketing them that way, dispels the name itself.

Maybe the truth is more "less publicized" or "last minute addition"

It's just another ploy to build up hype to create artificial demand.

The ultimate judge are the laws of supply and demand, so a low print run is always the tell tale sign more so than the wordsmithing of just how limited a release is, but a low print run on an unpouplar release can mean nothing with no guarantees.