• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"if you feel like moving it, let me know" - a Poll.

buyer - come correct?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. buyer - come correct?

33 posts in this topic

Some back and force on facebook had me wondering what attitudes here are.

We've all had these situations. You post something on CAF, or what have you, and there is a comment along the lines of "if you feel like moving it, let me know".

As a potential seller, what's your first impression of the way that statement is phrased? For me, I don't much like it and wouldn't respond. It assumes I want to sell (and therefore gives the buyer the power). I'm much more likely to respond to something like "if you'd consider selling it one day, let me know." (Doesn't assume I want to sell. I retain power).

Do you have a more favorable impression of either statement that would make you more likely to reply?

I personally when I am in the seller's shoes am more likely to open a conversation with the second guy and kind of view the first guy as a waste of time.

This may be minutia but I think its an interesting difference in language and one that I'm personally sensitive to.

I'm going with minutiae.

They, in practical usage, mean almost the exact same thing.

You own, you posted it, it's not for sale....but the person leaving the comment would like to make known that if the time comes that you move it to get in touch.

You're still in the same position, no power transferred, regardless of which way it's written.

The only real difference is one is more casual and the other more stilted.

I picture the first one being spoken by a guy in cargo shorts drinking a Pabst, and the other in a guy wearing an ascot, sipping a brandy. Other than that they mean the same to me.

That's the crux of it. I'm more likely to view the first guy as fishing /waste of time / may not have the money, whatever. To me the second guy comes across as more serious which is why I'm more willing to open up the convo and potentially lose a few minutes.

I hear what you're saying about it being minutiae, I felt that myself, but at the same time, I think there's something to it 2c The second guy may or may not be all world but the first guy is more likely to be a time waster from my past experience anyways.

Have you ever been in that position where you consider whether or not to reply? Has the phrasing ever thrown you one way or the other? Just curious.

I think you're looking at it a little too closely. You're picking at social interactions and proper behavior. At the end of the day there are a lot of people in this hobby that don't have ill intent but are far from good communicators / socially adept.

No, to be clear, I don't think either line of inquiry is the least bit inappropriate as far as behaviour. Both are perfectly acceptable.

I'm just saying there's a profiling that goes in my mind about the buyer depending on how he addresses me. (Is he a waste of time, or not?)

I think you're looking at it a little too closely. You're picking at social interactions and proper behavior. At the end of the day there are a lot of people in this hobby that don't have ill intent but are far from good communicators / socially adept.

+1

not that there aren't people with ill intent (who may be good or bad at communications)

Malvin

That's the crux of it. I'm more likely to view the first guy as fishing /waste of time / may not have the money, whatever. To me the second guy comes across as more serious which is why I'm more willing to open up the convo and potentially lose a few minutes.

I hear what you're saying about it being minutiae, I felt that myself, but at the same time, I think there's something to it 2c The second guy may or may not be all world but the first guy is more likely to be a time waster from my past experience anyways.

Have you ever been in that position where you consider whether or not to reply? Has the phrasing ever thrown you one way or the other? Just curious.

I've been in that position a bunch. It's usually right after I post a piece on CAF, when I am least likely to consider selling. So I usually respond with something like "I take that as a compliment, no plans to move the piece. If that changes, and I remember to do so, I'll try to drop you a line before it's moved."

Of course 99% of the time I've remembered they aren't really interested any more. lol

+1

not that there aren't people with ill intent (who may be good or bad at communications)

Malvin

100% agree, I was going to add that, but then I felt like I was going to be over explaining =)

Interesting to see that not many people see much difference. I know what my past experience has been, so the poll results don't change my mind, but its quite interesting to see that most people don't view the statements very differently.

Love these minutiae threads …

The first comes off very casual and possibly less serious. The second appears to be done in a bit more of a serious inquiry type mode. In the end, both could be very different than you may interpret so I think digging much past the surface might be a wash. If I had both comments, and I were inclined to reach out, I would start with the latter comment but would contact the former next.

I think this begs a bigger question: do these type of comments actually work? As a (former) noob in the hobby I left this type of comments (both versions) as I seemed to see them on other posted art. I figured it was part of the process but never once actually received a response (IIRC). I started reaching out via direct message in cases where I was interested in art and this has been much more fruitful in terms of acquiring art (and some good friendships as well). Striking up a dialog on art increases the likelihood of a sale exponentially from my experience so I don’t leave the quick comments on the art any longer.

Do any of you actually look for these comments when the time comes to sell a page? Do you reach out and find anyone interested? What is your time frame for older comments – that you actually reach out and say “do you remember your comment from 6 years ago”?

Interesting to see that not many people see much difference. I know what my past experience has been, so the poll results don't change my mind, but its quite interesting to see that most people don't view the statements very differently.

For me, whether or not the one sentence is worded slightly differently doesn't really make much difference because it's never had a direct correlation to the outcome of the transaction.

I've had the most casual, unassuming guys, using the most disjointed shorthand step up the biggest when doing a deal.

I've also had the most prosaic, respectful, and intellectual sounding guys run me around in circles, kicking all four tires, while never intending to get the deal done unless the piece was given away.

So that's probably why the poll results look like that. It's too small a sample to get a true grasp on what kind of guy you're dealing with in the end.

No difference to me. They mean the same thing.

If I'm not selling then they both get ignored.

If one day I do plan to sell AND remember that someone left either message then I may send them a note but only if I think that a private sale would somehow benefit me. Otherwise neither one gets contacted. No matter what happens the exact words they used won't matter unless it was really underhanded or offensive.

I've been in that position a bunch. It's usually right after I post a piece on CAF, when I am least likely to consider selling. So I usually respond with something like "I take that as a compliment, no plans to move the piece. If that changes, and I remember to do so, I'll try to drop you a line before it's moved."

Of course 99% of the time I've remembered they aren't really interested any more. lol

:taptaptap:

Dan, personally I think you're reading too much into this minutiae becaue the guy also said something like "I'm really interested in the piece / I really like the piece", so it seems to me much harder to read it as a whole as "if you need to move the piece let me know and maybe I'll do you a favor".

Another way to look at this is the first guy who asks that you keep it him him mind once you have made that decision to move it is being less pushy. Great item. I understand you will most likely keep it forever but if I am mistaken then call on me once you are comfortable with your decision.

The second guy doesn't care if you are comfortable with selling it so long as he is the one you sell it to. He is there to take it should you fall into a momentary lapse of reason.

Or the first guy wants it more than he wants you to know and just doesn't want to seem too eager.