• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much longer until the the registry is fixed ?

43 posts in this topic

It's just as well. With all the variants and multiple printings CGC was swamped with requests. To say nothing about the very stale registry points assigned to vintage books. It's still a cool place to document your books but not robust enough to stay relevant.

• Administrator

I understand your frustration.

I am also frustrated by so many elements that are not currently working on the Registry. It all comes down to programming issues. With the addition of the new "conserved labels" it has generated multiple new book slots in the scoring system that the program does not know where to pull the information from. Thus, creating errors. The programmers have tried multiple patches in hopes to correct this issue, which has only created other obstacles in the programming. The only way to update a score currently is to update each of the 48 possible labels for each book, one at a time. So if there are 50 requests for 1 book to be updated, that's 2,400 corrections to be made. That's too much of an undertaking (not to mention 90% of the day would be a loading screen for me) and no new sets or expansions would ever get built.

So, I understand. Please know that there is a whole different level of frustration behind the scenes also.

We haven't "swept it under the rug" and forgot about it. Steps are being taken. A course of action is being put in place.

In all honesty, why bother allocating any resources to maintaining the registry. It's just not worth the effort. The original, and still current, design requires too much of a manual effort. Personally, I gave up on it a long time ago, even before the latest 'programming' challenges. Let it go. Sorry.

i hope the registry doesn't get abandoned- one the big reasons I chose to grade my comics through the CGC was because of the registry presentation. After scanning the registry for the first time years ago- I saw the best Walking Dead comic set id ever seen- and I wanted to have my own set that was in the same class- without the registry I would still be in the dark on a lot of things. The registry gives me something to do with my comics besides stare at them and then put them safely away for none to enjoy. I wish more people were hyped in the registry- if people put as much effort into sharing their comic info on the registry as they do posting on messages boards the registry would be an explosion of awesomeness! fix it- don't nix it!

Hey guys, I agree the Registry is fun and should not be abandoned. However, CGC obviously has a maintenance problem with the product. All requests, changes, etc, have to be manually input for each slot for each issue. I'm just saying it's not worth the effort to keep it current. Just leave it alone and keep it as is.

I stayed with CGC because I have so many books in the Registry, and enjoy it. If it was discontinued, I would start seeing other companies product creep into my collection. But, it does seem to need more automation to make it less labor intensive.

Hey guys, I agree the Registry is fun and should not be abandoned. However, CGC obviously has a maintenance problem with the product. All requests, changes, etc, have to be manually input for each slot for each issue. I'm just saying it's not worth the effort to keep it current. Just leave it alone and keep it as is.

Do you have any particular insight about how much of the revenue streams and costs are attributable to the registry? How do you know whether or not it's worth it?

• Administrator

The Registry is not going anywhere. If anything, I have made it my personal mission to make it better than ever! I think the Registry is so cool and looking at everyone's sets and descriptions has really made my job not work. I'm really fighting to get all these technical issues resolved and then adding a whole new level of fun for our collectors. Keep adding, folks. I'll keep fighting the good fight on my end.

The CGC Registry is hands down the greatest marketing ploy CGC ever came up with. For it to continue to be so, it needs to be kept updated and in constant evolution.

I couldn't agree more (thumbs u

Without the Registry I probably would be just fine buying CBCS books or maybe even some PGX books. But I can only build my sets with CGC books.

And then there's the ability to compete with other collectors and to compare sets. Like Yoda once said :insane:

Never underestimate the power of the Registry :preach:

If CGC wishes to maintain their position, nothing is more important than keeping up the Registry (ok, it's important to keep on slabbing books too, but you get the idea :baiting: )

In short, to maintain a position in an ever changing world, you need to constantly evolve - like Gotham Kid wrote.

2014-SEMI-ANNUAL-LTR181-e1412509970874-1024x629.jpg

:gossip: Voldy will have a registry, and you can add CGC books to it as well

I'll never know how do those guys stay in business after ripping off nearly every aspect of the CGC. Disgusting. Perhaps the CGC should get better lawyers?

The Registry is one of my favorite parts of collecting comics. The CGC should do everything in its power to maintain and improve the system.

They should indeed. But props to someone else who is willing to go so far to understand their collector base and allow such a thing as cross platform sharing. It's innovative and smart.

:gossip: Voldy will have a registry, and you can add CGC books to it as well

To me allowing both types into one registry is a dumb marketing idea for Voldemort. That's like admitting your competition is as good as or better than you are. Why would someone want to go somewhere that realizes that they're not the best? It's like that kid who would constantly copy off you in elementary school yet somehow still manage to get lower grades. :eyeroll:

#cgc4evah