• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP: Capstone Comics in Austin

25 posts in this topic

Today is a sad day. It is the last day for one of my favorite LCSs. Capstone Comics will be closing. This was a huge store with a massive back issue section. It was also one the the last few comic shops that refused to venture into "tabletop gaming" territory.

The reason for the closing, surprising, actually is not a lack of making money. It is actually because of a greedy landlord. The owner of their shopping strip wants to redo the facade of it. Unfortunately, this redo is not good for a comic shop so he is "kicking" them out. The owner, John, may be looking for a new location, but for the time being, they are closing up after today.

I'll be pay some final respects this morning...

I used to live in Texas in '08 and '09. I visited at least monthly. Very nice store. Very nice owner.

I hope he's able to set things up elsewhere soon. :wishluck:

A landlord can just kick someone out if they don't like the type of business that a client is running? Even if it's legit?

I find that hard to believe in this day and age.

A landlord can just kick someone out if they don't like the type of business that a client is running? Even if it's legit?

It happens all the time. If I understand correctly, the lease for All About Books & Comics in Phoenix was not renewed since the landlord wanted a different clientele for the other shops in the strip. All About Books & Comics had to move.

It happens all the time. If I understand correctly, the lease for All About Books & Comics in Phoenix was not renewed since the landlord wanted a different clientele for the other shops in the strip. All About Books & Comics had to move.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/all-about-books-and-comics-is-moving-to-new-phoenix-location-in-june-7332385

Not quite a "I don't like the business" but I'll bet Capstone Comics cannot substantiate that claim either. A landlord can just do what they did to All About Books & Comics and sign a lease with someone else in the space. In this case, the lease was with another tenant apparently.

Today is a sad day. It is the last day for one of my favorite LCSs. Capstone Comics will be closing. This was a huge store with a massive back issue section. It was also one the the last few comic shops that refused to venture into "tabletop gaming" territory.

The reason for the closing, surprising, actually is not a lack of making money. It is actually because of a greedy landlord. The owner of their shopping strip wants to redo the facade of it. Unfortunately, this redo is not good for a comic shop so he is "kicking" them out. The owner, John, may be looking for a new location, but for the time being, they are closing up after today.

I'll be pay some final respects this morning...

ummmm find a new location? (shrug)

Unfortunately, a new location is not in the cards for Capstone. The owner(John), does not want to go through another move and is thrown the towel in. Sad day in Austin for LCS, as it was the last of the places that offered discounts on multiple subs.

If he doesn't want to move does that mean he;s leaving all his stock there? If not, he's moving it. Seems like there might be a lack of interest to continue the business.

I overheard that someone is supposedly coming through tomorrow to buy everything else as a whole lot.

Why not? Doesn't the owner of the property have the right to do with the property what they wish?

Why not? Doesn't the owner of the property have the right to do with the property what they wish?

It's an interesting question.

Different municipalities, states (provinces up where I live) and countries have different rules but to my understanding you can't just kick someone out because you feel like it.

Many regions have rules about what tenants and landlords can and cannot do so both have their rights protected.

And again, not renewing a lease is very different than just terminating one. I have no idea what happened with this store.

I would assume they'd need solid grounds to terminate a lease.

Happened to a LCS here in Edmonton, they had a space in the West Edmonton Mall and the landlord didn't renew the lease and chose ot renew with someone else. The cost for the space went up significantly and the LCS owner couldn't afford to renew. He was rather choked up about it.

I hate when a good LCS goes out of business due to losing money and not being able to keep the doors open. It sucks when a great LCS closes due to a greedy landlord and nothing else.