• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS Media Mail Regulations
1 1

126 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, GM8 said:

This.

No, they still do checks once in while. Happened to me three months ago with one package. Ended up out $10 bucks to USPS paid. I had blacklisted the seller since as he refused to acknowledge my messages unanswered. From eBay, that is. 

See photo showing the actual notice on this package as proof. 

IMG_0718.JPG

Edited by Fan Boy
Time went by fast...

2 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

No, they still do checks once in while. Happened to me last month with one package. Ended up out $10 bucks to USPS paid. I had blacklisted the seller since as he refused to acknowledge my messages unanswered. From eBay, that is. 

IMG_0718.JPG

And that is the Goleta Branch post office's opinion. Their opinion may, or may not, be accurate. Until it's resolved, one way or the other, in the DMM, there will still be sporadic, uneven enforcement all over the nation.  And it all hangs on that one word: "advertising."

If it's not in the DMM...even if it comes from the Postmaster General...it carries zero regulatory weight.

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And that is the Goleta Branch post office's opinion. Their opinion may, or may not, be accurate. Until it's resolved, one way or the other, in the DMM, there will still be sporadic, uneven enforcement all over the nation.  And it all hangs on that one word: "advertising."

If it's not in the DMM...even if it comes from the Postmaster General...it carries zero regulatory weight.

Yes, and that is where as well also why I am am trying to understand the gibbish langauge what U.S. Postal is telling to us (dealers, buyers and broadies here). I can plainly see the advertisements in a 25, 30 or even 60 years comic book aren't considered to useable for today's current request in ordering materials. Ever try place a order for a set of 100 plastic little soldiers with a 50+ years old clipped coupon? Will your get your order for sure if this company still exists? I doubt it!

As you said, it all hangs on one word. "Advertising" ... I think it needs a few more words to go with to get the crazy rules clear up.

By the way, the package I got in photo was over the stated weight for media mail. The seller willfully knew that but still used that postal option without my knowledge. I got 40+ books in a large bubble mailer.

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Yes, and that is where as well also why I am am trying to understand the gibbish langauge what U.S. Postal is telling to us (dealers, buyers and broadies here). I can plainly see the advertisements in a 25, 30 or even 60 years comic book aren't considered to useable for today's current request in ordering materials. Ever try place a order for a set of 100 plastic little soldiers with a 50+ years old clipped coupon? Will your get your order for sure if this company still exists? I doubt it!

As you said, it all hangs on one word. "Advertising" ... I think it needs a few more words to go with to get the crazy rules clear up.

By the way, the package I got in photo was over the stated weight for media mail. The seller willfully knew that but still used that postal option without my knowledge. I got 40+ books in a large bubble mailer.

And that was the opening that let the camel poke his nose in the tent.

The Post Office most convenient to me has a large( two foot by two foot) that states Comic books are not eligible for Media Mail. I guess they had issues in the past.  I don't use media very often but when I do, I drop them off at another PO and have not had a problem.

Over the years, I think I'm  two for several hundred as far as problems go. Once was a shipment to Hawaii and the other was opened, but delivered with half the contents missing. I had used several smaller boxes inside a bigger box, and one of the boxes inside had my address on it and was delivered to me as if it was going thru normal channels. Both were board transactions.

23 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

No, they still do checks once in while. Happened to me three months ago with one package. Ended up out $10 bucks to USPS paid. I had blacklisted the seller since as he refused to acknowledge my messages unanswered. From eBay, that is. 

IMG_0718.JPG

Ok so you got dinged once for it by an overzealous (and likely bored) postal employee.  Try another PO.

The point was that the overall theme is "Here is our policy.  We rarely enforce it for slightly ambiguous items like comics."  I've shipped Media Mail for years and had one box out of hundreds come back to me.  It was not packaged well and probably tore open (my mistake) and that's what led to the return-to-sender with postage due.

On 9/10/2017 at 11:51 AM, Fan Boy said:

IMG_0718.JPG

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

Ok so you got dinged once for it by an overzealous (and likely bored) postal employee.  Try another PO.

The point was that the overall theme is "Here is our policy.  We rarely enforce it for slightly ambiguous items like comics."  I've shipped Media Mail for years and had one box out of hundreds come back to me.  It was not packaged well and probably tore open (my mistake) and that's what led to the return-to-sender with postage due.

Unfortunately Goleta is where pretty much all the mail for west Ventura County and Santa Barbara are sorted. Also one of the infamous "Going Postal" locations

ahh-- the joys of ebay sellers who foolishly use media mail to mail a single comic saving themselves less than 50 cents from sending it via first class mail.

Look at this list of tracking going on for this book I bought way back on October 22nd-- from an established ebay seller no less. They decided to send it via media mail apparently to lessen their loss on getting the minimum bid for the book I guess.... still don't have this book and cannot figure out why it keeps going in circles from one post office to the next.....

Date & Time Status of Item Location
November 4, 2017, 2:46 pm Departed USPS Regional Facility PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX 
Your item departed our USPS facility in PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX on November 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
November 2, 2017, 9:44 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
November 1, 2017, 9:44 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 31, 2017, 9:44 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 30, 2017, 4:44 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX 
October 30, 2017, 9:15 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 29, 2017, 9:15 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 29, 2017, 7:13 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility DENVER CO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
October 28, 2017, 9:15 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 27, 2017, 4:15 pm Arrived at USPS Facility JACKSONVILLE, FL 32218 
October 27, 2017, 2:19 pm Departed USPS Regional Facility JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
October 27, 2017, 9:57 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 26, 2017, 9:57 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 25, 2017, 9:57 am In Transit to Destination On its way to PHOENIX, AZ 850442301 
October 24, 2017, 6:36 am Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
October 23, 2017, 7:12 pm Departed Post Office LARGO, FL 33774 
October 23, 2017, 5:04 pm USPS picked up item LARGO, FL 33774 

NEVER buying from this guy again.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I will follow up with what the package looks like after all this postal activity-- I sort of figure it is pretty much thrashed by now. What a jerk move. People-- please stop using media mail for single comics-- it makes ZERO sense.

Anytime something takes more than the usual time, I always end up with some sort of damage.  Someone shipped me a CGC slab in a box with bubble wrap and everything, still didn't stop them from cracking the case.  Took like 7 days.   Luckily seller paid for the reslabbing.  Don't waste your time with media mail unless you don't care about the condition it shows up in.  Media mail has to go through some far more abusive process than first class.

Edited by 90sChild

The book arrived on Saturday. Paid for on 10/21, shipped notice on 10/23, received 11/5

No damage or anything odd about the package. The seller did not use eBay shipping (pretty strange for someone with that many sales) but used actual stamps and paid for delivery confirmation from the counter at their post office I assume. I never understand how people still use this time consuming method. They may think they are providing this great service but they are wasting time and money going to the counter imo. You can pick up a postal scale for 10-20 bucks and weigh your own packages, print off your own labels (or tape paper ones to the package -- and use ebays shipping discount) and place the item in your own mail box for pick up. Same package could have cost as little as 2.77 to send first class in this case. They paid more no doubt. They did at least send it bagged (super old bag-- no board) and sandwiched between cardboard.

I guess some folks like going to the post office. As for the seller-- I did a little more digging to figure out that mostly what they sell are autographs and very infrequently comic books. So while they stated "this book fits eBays 5.0 grade" and made no mention of any flaws beyond some obvious cover creasing--- the book in hand was more like a 1.5 to 2.0. It had 4 interior bottom corner pieces missing/torn off. The center wrap was not attached. And there was a four inch long cut/gouge in the cover (as well as two "eye" holes in the bad guys face) that you cannot see in the photos as it follows the path of a laser the bad guy is shooting. Still-- I kept the book as the price was still within reason-- and within what I was bidding on while not trusting the limited description to begin with. Gave them positive feedback but advised future buyers what damage was not reported and that their 5.0 was more like a 2.0 (and that was being kind imo).

Here's my scan for reference:

Spoiler

pmeese1.jpg

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

The seller did not use eBay shipping but used actual stamps and paid for delivery confirmation from the counter ... I never understand how people still use this time consuming method ... I guess some folks like going to the post office

Those old habits die hard

On 11/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

ahh-- the joys of ebay sellers who foolishly use media mail to mail a single comic saving themselves less than 50 cents from sending it via first class mail.

So dumb. In my experience, for a single book, first class is cheaper than media anyway. Printing postage online, you can send up to 16 oz first class, so I can always get one, and sometimes two, books safely shipped in a flash mailed at the first class rate cheaper than media would have been. 

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

So dumb. In my experience, for a single book, first class is cheaper than media anyway. Printing postage online, you can send up to 16 oz first class, so I can always get one, and sometimes two, books safely shipped in a flash mailed at the first class rate cheaper than media would have been. 

no doubt. I had three books delivered separately that I paid for after 10/23 before this order arrived -- all sellers using first class mail.

Media mail is such a shoot. I've seen it sometimes deliver as quickly as first class (depends on the route it needs to travel) or take as long as this one did-- with it inexplicably bouncing back and forth in the USPS delivery system. When I am the seller-- I am all about getting that book there as soon as reasonably possible.

The eBay sellers who annoy me are the ones who state "expedited delivery" and then send it media mail-- again-- for a single comic-- like a real turd might do or someone so oblivious or moronic to not understand how little they are "saving" (if at all) by doing so. I get that some people rely on media mail for their business model. At least have the credibility to state you are sending that way and if you are a real swell seller- give me the option to purchase faster service without gouging my eyes out in the process.

When I was first starting out with eBay, I would use media mail quite often to send items like a years worth of Playboy magazines. I was at least keeping that use only to printed media (magazines) that was bulky. Definitely the incorrect use of media mail by their standards but when you see all the others with similar listings doing it, you sort of get sucked in. And it works every time until that first overzealous postal worker clamps down on you. A painful lesson is learned or it may take a few more slaps on your wrist. I think it took two slaps for me to "get it".

Edited by 01TheDude

Sometimes even First Class mail goes bonkers: 

Available for Pickup

2017-11-06, 12:53:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Out for Delivery

2017-11-06, 10:59:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Available for Pickup

2017-11-06, 10:58:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Sorting Complete

2017-11-06, 10:49:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Arrived at Post Office

2017-11-06, 10:46:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Arrived at USPS Facility

2017-11-06, 09:40:00, MIAMI, FL 33166

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2017-11-06, 09:37:00, MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Departed USPS Regional Facility

2017-11-06, 08:36:00, OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

In Transit to Destination

2017-11-05, 09:41:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

2017-11-04, 11:41:00, OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Departed USPS Regional Facility

2017-11-04, 01:42:00, WEST PALM BEACH FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

2017-11-03, 18:59:00, WEST PALM BEACH FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

2017-11-03, 09:07:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

2017-11-02, 09:07:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

2017-11-01, 09:07:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

2017-10-31, 03:07:00, PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

2017-10-30, 09:45:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

2017-10-29, 09:45:00, On its way to MIAMI, FL 33166

USPS in possession of item

2017-10-28, 14:45:00, CHANDLER, AZ 85286

Had 2 comics get delivered in a package yesterday that was shipped Media Mail and was opened and inspected by the post office. The seller had done a pretty good job at packing up the comics and taped the comics themselves to the cardboard inside of the package but it was ripped off im assuming when the post office opened the package. The package was resealed but the comics were not re-taped to the cardboard so they were bouncing around inside of the package throughout the rest of the trip. One of the comics is perfectly fine but the other comic ended up getting 4 or so spine bends. The seller was a great guy and took care of the problem but this is one of the main reason i try to avoid people that ship through Media Mail....

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, shadroch said:

The Post Office most convenient to me has a large( two foot by two foot) that states Comic books are not eligible for Media Mail. I guess they had issues in the past.  I don't use media very often but when I do, I drop them off at another PO and have not had a problem.

Over the years, I think I'm  two for several hundred as far as problems go. Once was a shipment to Hawaii and the other was opened, but delivered with half the contents missing. I had used several smaller boxes inside a bigger box, and one of the boxes inside had my address on it and was delivered to me as if it was going thru normal channels. Both were board transactions.

Free advice. I never ship media mail to Hawaii or Alaska. It goes by boat or some other snail service and my buyers complain weeks later about the package not arriving. I encourage them to pay more or let them know it could take a month to get there and don't complain to me. I have had a handful of media mail packages opened and paid the difference to make them right. No big deal for all the books I buy and sell.