• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

eBay alerted me today that an item on my "wish list" had been listed.  This is usually good news.

The bad news is that the book is being sold by Mile High (and priced accordingly).

The really bad news is something I find very strange.  I read the brief "item description", which really was just their guesstimation of a grade and no actual description of this particular book.  Then I click on the link labeled "SEE FULL ITEM DESCRIPTION" and again found NOTHING written to describe this particular book.  Instead there was a lot written about Mile High in general and one very alarming statement.....

An important note: the cover photo of the item shown in this listing, is not a scan of the actual item. We sell well over one million back issue comics a year, and thus have a huge library of past scans that we utilize to illustrate the books that we are offering on eBay.

What????????????????????????????????????????????

In this day and age, who buys an overpriced comic book sight unseen?  Not only unseen, but without even ANY description of the book in question.  I find this incredible, yet they claim to sell over one million back issue comics a year.....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

20 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous.  

Is the book a modern perhaps? I suppose that approach could make a little sense then 

No, it is a Silver Age book (from the 50s).

I agree that if this was a common, modern age, $5 - $10 book, it might be acceptable. 

3 hours ago, Hudson said:

The bad news is that the book is being sold by Mile High (and priced accordingly).

Thank you for posting/ bumping this ,...one of my favorite threads lol 

if mile high had their own gasoline station out front, and there was no price gouging laws, they would probably charge $12.43 per gallon lol 

6 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thank you for posting/ bumping this ,...one of my favorite threads lol 

if mile high had their own gasoline station out front, and there was no price gouging laws, they would probably charge $12.43 per gallon lol 

I think it would actually be $12.43 a liter BUT every week you could get 40 percent off with the "secret" code word; "Chuck's Gas".  

10 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I think it would actually be $12.43 a liter BUT every week you could get 40 percent off with the "secret" code word; "Chuck's Gas".  

and it would be listed as "liters gas tank" :) 

Given Chuck's "pricing"' practices and that he is not even describing or showing a photo or scans of the books he sells, I would not be surprised if he opts for a new business model soon.   

Perhaps it would go something like this..,.

"Send me as much money as possible and I will choose one of my 10,000,000 comics to send you in return.  I will not tell you in advance the title, issue number, or any of the main characters in the book; you just need to trust me.  Order quickly while supplies last!!"

Truth be told Chuck is a very nice guy, a little strange in his mindset , but a nice guy.

I can't for the life of me understand how he can sell a comic book for what 'he" thinks it will be worth ten years from now. That's his thinking I've spoken to him and can't wrap that around my head.

I have a strong feeling it's because he lost out on so much money selling the Church books before they had a chance to gain prices they are fetching today. That's the only thing I can think of.

Or maybe I'm completed off base and it's the cross dressing and peyote.(shrug)

6 hours ago, Poka said:

I believe chuck in the past has mentioned that he wish to buy more comics than he sells to increase his inventory. Maybe pricing is a reflection of this?

But why should you overpay because he wants more comic books.......and if you decide to sell it later...well your recovery of your investment or purchase price is going to be not as much as you paid so chuck can get to 11 million comic books.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 4/28/2018 at 4:11 AM, Hudson said:

eBay alerted me today that an item on my "wish list" had been listed.  This is usually good news.

The really bad news is something I find very strange.  I read the brief "item description", which really was just their guesstimation of a grade and no actual description of this particular book.  Then I click on the link labeled "SEE FULL ITEM DESCRIPTION" and again found NOTHING written to describe this particular book.  Instead there was a lot written about Mile High in general and one very alarming statement.....

An important note: the cover photo of the item shown in this listing, is not a scan of the actual item. We sell well over one million back issue comics a year, and thus have a huge library of past scans that we utilize to illustrate the books that we are offering on eBay.

What????????????????????????????????????????????

In this day and age, who buys an overpriced comic book sight unseen?  Not only unseen, but without even ANY description of the book in question.  I find this incredible, yet they claim to sell over one million back issue comics a year.....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

he has listed his books using stock photos for as long as I have seen them. He is not the only one doing this-- (Lee's Comics comes to mind)-- but the problem is he gives a half arsed grade assessment for what is being offered using words like GOODS COMICS -- I have most of my searches strip out any of his listings. Total waste of time-- would never buy from them for the stuff I like (BA/SA) as he is always far over priced. The excuse of "well we have all these images of books--- so you don't need to actually see the book I am selling-- I mean I have 10 copies I consider "Very good" so we will just ship you one of those" -- as if the range of condition and appearance of books that are even graded correctly at VG can be so radically different from an eye appeal perspective. That is the kind of book selling that was done in the 1970s (Robert Bell for example). The only thing missing is asking you to list other books you might want in case they don't have the copy you ordered.

Edited by 01TheDude

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

he has listed his books using stock photos for as long as I have seen them. He is not the only one doing this-- (Lee's Comics comes to mind)-- but the problem is he gives a half arsed grade assessment for what is being offered using words like GOODS COMICS -- I have most of my searches strip out any of his listings. Total waste of time-- would never buy from them for the stuff I like (BA/SA) as he is always far over priced. The excuse of "well we have all these images of books--- so you don't need to actually see the book I am selling-- I mean I have 10 copies I consider "Very good" so we will just ship you one of those" -- as if the range of condition and appearance of books that are even graded correctly at VG can be so radically different from an eye appeal perspective. That is the kind of book selling that was done in the 1970s (Robert Bell for example). The only thing missing is asking you to list other books you might want in case they don't have the copy you ordered.

All good points @01TheDude

I remember buying comics, mail order, back in the 70s.  At that time, I often purchased books without a photo (since most mail order catalogs simply listed the title, issue, grade, and price.  I also remember listing "alternatives" in case the books I really wanted were already sold.  Then I remember waiting each day for a package to arrive and wondering which books I actually received (purchased).  This was acceptable to me, at the time, as that was the way business was often conducted.  There was no internet and I don't think anyone expected any mail order seller to photograph every book and put the photos in the catalog (that would have made for really thick catalogs and may have been cost prohibitive).  The was the 1970's.  This is 2018, and I think sellers need to get with the times.

I had not heard the name Robert Bell in awhile.  Thanks for the nostalgic look back.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:50 PM, oakman29 said:

I have a strong feeling it's because he lost out on so much money selling the Church books before they had a chance to gain prices they are fetching today. That's the only thing I can think of.

Bingo.   I think that's it.  Sellers remorse, followed up with "Wait!  If I held onto them another 20 years I could have gotten what?!?!  I'll show these nerds!  10x mark ups from now on!!". 

"...my  Nanette has also had a very nice Thanksgiving, due in large part to all of the 60% off NANETTE codeword."

:facepalm:

" I am normally quite averse to letting all of our best back issues go at only 40% of list price, but I have survived my many years in the comics business because I know when I have no choice but to bite the bullet."

:facepalm: :facepalm:

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

"...my  Nanette has also had a very nice Thanksgiving, due in large part to all of the 60% off NANETTE codeword."

" I am normally quite averse to letting all of our best back issues go at only 40% of list price, but I have survived my many years in the comics business because I know when I have no choice but to bite the bullet."

thanks and at 60% off some are almost worth it except they have almost nothing in 1950 back issue stock that anyone wants these days and then there is still the issue of overgading and no scans...

56 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

thanks and at 60% off some are almost worth it except they have almost nothing in 1950 back issue stock that anyone wants these days and then there is still the issue of overgading and no scans...

People do collect issues newer than that...

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

How can that poor man stay in business selling books that LOW!!!??????