• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I think he is saying it is a lot more than $1 now. The "not so much" was no a quantitative reference, it was more meant to be "not anymore"

On 12/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, Mercury Man said:

From what I've seen, their eBay prices reflect their website prices after the sale codeword is used.

I received an email from Chuck today.  It started like this...

Our Memorial Day weekend was filled with drama, but not in a good way. At approximately 5 AM on Sunday morning we had someone break in through the rear door of Jason St. He then proceeded to walk our front area of the store, where we have five 6' tall cases filled with our most significant back issues. He smashed the doors off three of those cases, and then chose 14 comics to steal, which had a net retail value of $42,000+.

Obviously my FIRST "question" is in relation to that final sentence.  Is that "net retail value of $42,000+" a "Mile High retail value" or an "actual FMV retail value"?

My second "question" is really just an "observation".  It seems to me, I recall Chuck sending me an email back in May 2017, telling of how 70 massive skylights had "simultaneously shattered" at his "Mega-Store", during a hail storm, causing estimated damages in excess of $100,000.

Seems May is not a good month for Chuck OR his insurance company!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, I do hope that they catch whoever broke into Chuck's store and stole his books.

11 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I received an email from Chuck today.  It started like this...

Our Memorial Day weekend was filled with drama, but not in a good way. At approximately 5 AM on Sunday morning we had someone break in through the rear door of Jason St. He then proceeded to walk our front area of the store, where we have five 6' tall cases filled with our most significant back issues. He smashed the doors off three of those cases, and then chose 14 comics to steal, which had a net retail value of $42,000+.

Obviously my FIRST "question" is in relation to that final sentence.  Is that "net retail value of $42,000+" a "Mile High retail value" or an "actual FMV retail value"?

My second "question" is really just an "observation".  It seems to me, I recall Chuck sending me an email back in May 2017, telling of how 70 massive skylights had "simultaneously shattered" at his "Mega-Store", during a hail storm, causing estimated damages in excess of $100,000.

Seems May is not a good month for Chuck OR his insurance company!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, I do hope that they catch whoever broke into Chuck's store and stole his books.

WE were waiting on the email.....

Mile High is an enigma to me.  Bought from them via mail order in the mid-80's and used to visit their main store in Denver frequently through the 90's.  Their prices on SA books were always very reasonable then.  

Now though, their prices are ridiculous.  And it makes no sense -- their warehouse is the size of your average Costco, but FILLED with comics.  It's insane.  They should have nearly-unbeatable prices based on volume alone.  Even their reading-grade SA books are a pretty penny.

21 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Mile High is an enigma to me.  Bought from them via mail order in the mid-80's and used to visit their main store in Denver frequently through the 90's.  Their prices on SA books were always very reasonable then.  

Now though, their prices are ridiculous.  And it makes no sense -- their warehouse is the size of your average Costco, but FILLED with comics.  It's insane.  They should have nearly-unbeatable prices based on volume alone.  Even their reading-grade SA books are a pretty penny.

Chuckles would rather not sell his comics. He loves claiming he has the biggest stash of comics in the world. Quite the tale of a guy that rose up with nothing I guess. How for the life of me I have a hard time understanding how he stays in business. Maybe a lot of out of country customers? But he still around and doing well...

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Robot Man said:

Chuckles would rather not sell his comics. He loves claiming he has the biggest stash of comics in the world. Quite the tale of a guy that rose up with nothing I guess. How for the life of me I have a hard time understanding how he stays in business. Maybe a lot of out of country customers? But he still around and doing well...

Maybe, but it's the biggest hoard in the world, then.  

Seriously, have you ever been to the super-store?  It really is the size of a Costco or Sam's, with the comics you can browse arranged around the perimeter of the store.  That selection alone is mind-boggling.  But then, there's the mid-section of the store, which is roped off to the public, but consists of aisle upon aisle of huge shelves, overflowing with long boxes.  It's truly amazing.

But then, there are the prices.......

just saw his local tv video where he claims he has more comics than anyone on planet earth....but not claiming the universe title. The reason he does have this amount is he does not sell his stuff cheap...he buys cheap and sells high..no problem..but I have  feeling that MCS sells 10x what chuck does a month and they have millions of comics buy they move them...I had a friend visit MCS this year and they have 100 employees or there about so I would say they sell the most comics on earth on a yearly basis..... Both are giants in there own right....but MHC is gonna at some point dump a large amount on the market should a change of business model occur or need or necessity. Because their stock is top heavy away for GA and early SA...unless 5x price..this will not effect those markets at that time. So, its the waiting game...for that inventory to hit...should be interesting when it does, in the meantime it keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Edited by Mmehdy