• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, wombat said:

I just messaged them: 

"That's Blazing Combat Anthology 1  NOT Blazing Combat 1.  Anthology in even better condition is selling for about $50-60... so forget about the price... you guys don't even have the right book listed. "

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I just messaged them: 

"That's Blazing Combat Anthology 1  NOT Blazing Combat 1.  Anthology in even better condition is selling for about $50-60... so forget about the price... you guys don't even have the right book listed. "

On the plus side they have it listed twice. 

http://www.ebaystores.com/Mile-High-Comics/_i.html?_nkw="blazing+combat+sc"&submit=Search&_sid=35454117

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I just messaged them: 

It seems to be accurately listed as Blazing Combat SC (1978 Series) (shrug)

The price is a different matter, but since it's Mile High we're talking about...

52 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The price is a different matter, but since it's Mile High we're talking about...

Yes it seems to be accurately priced for a Mile High anthology not the actual #1-

had anyone here ever walked into Mile High with a couple of long boxes of drek and tried to sell it?

Do they buy from people walking in with books?

Instead of destroying or giving away this stuff, if you live near Denver-- seems like an ideal place to offload it. Even if they give you 15 bucks a long box-- great way to clear that stuff out-- and Chuck gets to see his pile get bigger! Win win!

Or is he one of those guys who only buys X number of books at a time when he absorbs old LCS stocks? By the sounds of it, he is slowly cornering the market on drek books.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:04 AM, Lazyboy said:

I agree. I'm 100% sure if they actually thought that was a Blazing Combat #1 the price would have been much much higher. 

I also bought a raw Fantastic Four #67 from them several years ago, listed as "Very Fine". Once I got the book, I thought the grading was on point, until I discovered an entire xxxxing page was missing. I guess I should have learned my lesson then.

8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

had anyone here ever walked into Mile High with a couple of long boxes of drek and tried to sell it?

Instead of destroying or giving away this stuff, if you live near Denver-- seems like an ideal place to offload it. Even if they give you 15 bucks a long box-- great way to clear that stuff out-- and Chuck gets to see his pile get bigger! Win win!

Or is he one of those guys who only buys X number of books at a time when he absorbs old LCS stocks? By the sounds of it, he is slowly cornering the market on drek books.

You don't have anybody that will give you $15 / long even if it's drek?

On 6/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, RonS2112 said:

Maybe, but it's the biggest hoard in the world, then.  

Seriously, have you ever been to the super-store?  It really is the size of a Costco or Sam's, with the comics you can browse arranged around the perimeter of the store.  That selection alone is mind-boggling.  But then, there's the mid-section of the store, which is roped off to the public, but consists of aisle upon aisle of huge shelves, overflowing with long boxes.  It's truly amazing.

But then, there are the prices.......

never been to their store, but seen pics. So the long boxes in the middle are inaccessible to customers?

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Mile High chuck wanders around shows buying $1 and $2 box books just like anyone else believe it or not. Or I have seen him doing so in the past. One show he was trying to get Joe Koch to give him a little bit of a discount on Koch's $2 books. He just does it sort of like Galactus eats worlds.

Indeed, he had set up at NY Comiccon a few years ago but just had the smallest table or two you could get. It was more a parking spot for him to have a presence. One the tables he was selling dollar books. Actually, not a bad selection, low grade 50s and 60s stuff. Had a little chat with him. Seemed like a nice guy. He really liked the fact that my kids were jumping into the piles of stuff. At the time my oldest (who was probably 8 or 9) was into Richie rich, archie, etc.

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Pic of Chuck visiting Matthew Shepherd's grave in Washington DC in the newsletter this week. Random or is there some kind of connection there? I don't get it.

Can't believe I'm jumping in on this, but...! Chuck has long identified with the LGBT community and has felt a connection to Shepherd and his family, Harvey Milk and other icons associated with them.

Some would say he overshares in what is supposed to be a comic dealer newsletter (LOL) and he is certainly quirky, but I think he's got a good heart, and as much as we've busted on him over the years I have to admit he's got me rooting for him.

16 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Can't believe I'm jumping in on this, but...! Chuck has long identified with the LGBT community and has felt a connection to Shepherd and his family, Harvey Milk and other icons associated with them.

Some would say he overshares in what is supposed to be a comic dealer newsletter (LOL) and he is certainly quirky, but I think he's got a good heart, and as much as we've busted on him over the years I have to admit he's got me rooting for him.

Got it. I dont know a lot about him. I absolutely don't question his heart, but just seemed odd for a comic newsletter when it didnt really talk about it other than "Heres a picture..."

On 9/6/2019 at 7:31 AM, ygogolak said:

You don't have anybody that will give you $15 / long even if it's drek?

I don't use long boxes or own anything from the drek era--- all my stuff (with a handful of exceptions) is from early 1980s to the early silver age.

But I sometimes hear guys say they end up with boxes of this "junk" after buying collections etc. I did not get an answer as far as how Mile high operates when it comes to buying from people walking in to the store with long boxes of drek. SOme boxes of drek aren't worth the 15 bucks to most people--- that is why they are drek.

5 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Got it. I dont know a lot about him. I absolutely don't question his heart, but just seemed odd for a comic newsletter when it didnt really talk about it other than "Heres a picture..."

Sure, that's fair. I think when Chuck is traveling or busy, he sometimes asks his employees to guest-write the newsletters, which was the case this week. He probably just sent them the pic from the road and told them to put it in... and given the extremely personal nature of the news he typically shares, it seems fair to speculate that writing the newsletter might be a slightly 'awkward' task for someone random Joe there to just pick up on the fly. :)

On 9/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, Jaylam said:

Just bought this "Near Mint" raw book from them, you be the judge.... corner crease, finger smudge, spine ticks+.... oh, and 2 finger smudges on the back cover too (not pictured).452657457_x-men640002_edited.jpg.49cd19af6b364fa800fd98493dc3ef0d.jpg

x-men 640002_edited crease.jpg

x-men 640002_edited smudge.jpg

x-men 640002_edited ticks.jpg

I have found their grading on some books they had quantity on to be fine

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, Ladic said:

never been to their store, but seen pics. So the long boxes in the middle are inaccessible to customers?

I believe so....but I never asked to browse the "stacks."  Presumably, those are all back stock, back-up inventory, waiting to be inventoried.  Or something.

But really, there was more than enough around the perimeter of the warehouse to keep anyone occupied for a full day.  Just insane, the amount of material they have.  Which is all the more reason why I'm surprised at how unreasonable the prices are.