• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I watched this recently.  Very interesting...

Man I should look at YouTube more often - that was pretty well done.  I have a pile of bias - Shooter's Marvel was my Marvel and hence, the best Marvel (LOL) and while I love the works of Byrne, Claremont, Miller, etc, etc I find it stunning that they complain about a guy who enabled a model for them to make a ton of cash.  To that end "Hated" - if you read Marvel during his tenure there were way more hits than misses.  His Legion is awesome - this guy calls out how different it was from other DC Comics at the time and that's what made it so good.  And Shooter VALIANT - was lighting in the bottle.  Quality creators who couldn't get work anymore - like Bob Layton, Don Perlin, etc - he gave them jobs.  Shooter VALIANT is a real high point to me.

I've only met the man twice - so many great stories.  I remember when Jim Galton died a few years ago there were stories published about how he'd saved Marvel Comics - very true.  But for most of Galton's term Shooter was the guy running the publishing arm.  I actually asked Jim about the Marvel org chart - as a fan I always assumed Editor-in-Chief was a very high level job within the firm, but nope.  Jim was one of many Vice-President level guys who reported to Galton and had peers in licensing, TV/animation, etc that, as one can imagine, had constant demands on the comic side of the business where all the IP was generated.

Edited by roach04

On 4/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, JollyComics said:

This reminds me of NewsKadia.

I have not purchased a lot from NewKadia, however, I would rather do business with them than MH (even though their prices and various "discounts" sometimes confuse me).

As I sit here watching the election results come in, I decided to see if Mile High had become any more "reasonable" in their pricing (since I have a long night ahead and wanted something to fill the time).

I looked on the Mile High site first and decided to look at their 10 oldest Action Comics for sale.   Then I looked at @mycomicshop to compare prices.  Here are the results.

#91 - MH price for a Good $519        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#193 - MH price for a Fair $204        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#218 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - CGC graded 7.0 for $280

#219 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - 2 Copies for sale - a Good Minus for $49 and a GD/VG for $58

*Even if MH offers one of their 60% off sales (which I have not seen in awhile), their copy would still be a Fair at $69.60.

#228 - MH price for a Good $288        MCS - 4 copies for sale ranging from a Good Minus for $33.50 to a GD/VG for $58.00

*Even at 60% off the MH price for a Good would be $115.20

#232 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - Price for a FR/GD is $43.50

*This means the MCS price is only 25% of the MH price :facepalm:

#237 - MH price for a Fair $144        MCS - 5 copies for sale ranging from Fair/Good $29.50 to VG at $124

#246 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 3 copies for sale.  A Good for $34.50, a VG- for $55, and a CGC 7.0 for $205

*Not sure about you, but I would take a CGC 7.0 for $205 long before taking a raw Good for $240 :juggle:

#249 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 2 copies for sale.  A Fair/Good for $24.50 and a CGC 6.0 for $150 OBO.

#250 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 8 copies for sale ranging from a Poor $8.60 to a VG- for $55.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHO IS PAYING THESE MH PRICES????(shrug)

I have never sold a comic on these boards, but if you are paying MH prices, I could make an exception.

:roflmao:

19 hours ago, Hudson said:

As I sit here watching the election results come in, I decided to see if Mile High had become any more "reasonable" in their pricing (since I have a long night ahead and wanted something to fill the time).

I looked on the Mile High site first and decided to look at their 10 oldest Action Comics for sale.   Then I looked at @mycomicshop to compare prices.  Here are the results.

#91 - MH price for a Good $519        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#193 - MH price for a Fair $204        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#218 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - CGC graded 7.0 for $280

#219 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - 2 Copies for sale - a Good Minus for $49 and a GD/VG for $58

*Even if MH offers one of their 60% off sales (which I have not seen in awhile), their copy would still be a Fair at $69.60.

#228 - MH price for a Good $288        MCS - 4 copies for sale ranging from a Good Minus for $33.50 to a GD/VG for $58.00

*Even at 60% off the MH price for a Good would be $115.20

#232 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - Price for a FR/GD is $43.50

*This means the MCS price is only 25% of the MH price :facepalm:

#237 - MH price for a Fair $144        MCS - 5 copies for sale ranging from Fair/Good $29.50 to VG at $124

#246 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 3 copies for sale.  A Good for $34.50, a VG- for $55, and a CGC 7.0 for $205

*Not sure about you, but I would take a CGC 7.0 for $205 long before taking a raw Good for $240 :juggle:

#249 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 2 copies for sale.  A Fair/Good for $24.50 and a CGC 6.0 for $150 OBO.

#250 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 8 copies for sale ranging from a Poor $8.60 to a VG- for $55.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHO IS PAYING THESE MH PRICES????(shrug)

I have never sold a comic on these boards, but if you are paying MH prices, I could make an exception.

:roflmao:

a lot of people have bought from chuck over the years including myself, I think on the lowest end books would be the safest .say the dollar books, but there is old saying that FMV is what a willing buyer pays a willing seller so...I understand from a consumer point that the books could be bought at a fraction of he is charging however there is a fee for the inconvience of shopping a lot of different web-sites that MH charges for.

20 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

a lot of people have bought from chuck over the years including myself, I think on the lowest end books would be the safest .say the dollar books, but there is old saying that FMV is what a willing buyer pays a willing seller so...I understand from a consumer point that the books could be bought at a fraction of he is charging however there is a fee for the inconvience of shopping a lot of different web-sites that MH charges for.

At this point if you are still buying from Chuck you should give MyComicShop a try.  They have way better prices, top rated shipping, fantastic grading and top notch inventory.  Chuck survived on the one stop shop mentality but MCS has taken that approach and is much better.  Surprised Chuck is still around quite frankly with all his overhead maintaining those warehouses of overpriced drek.

33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

At this point if you are still buying from Chuck you should give MyComicShop a try.  They have way better prices, top rated shipping, fantastic grading and top notch inventory.  Chuck survived on the one stop shop mentality but MCS has taken that approach and is much better.  Surprised Chuck is still around quite frankly with all his overhead maintaining those warehouses of overpriced drek.

I agree MCS is superior in terms of price, I have not bought from chuck for a long time, but I used to buy a lot of  Marvel Masterworks and other items for him when he was at SDCC. His higher prices take into account the largest comic book store's upkeep and and expenses and a large number of employees as opposed to a regular E-bay seller.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:
2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I agree MCS is superior in terms of price, I have not bought from chuck for a long time, but I used to buy a lot of  Marvel Masterworks and other items for him when he was at SDCC. His higher prices take into account the largest comic book store's museum's upkeep and and expenses and a large number of employees as opposed to a regular E-bay seller.

FTFY.

Why should the buyer have to pay for his... interesting .. business strategy and the additional overhead to run and store it?

14 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree MCS is superior in terms of price, I have not bought from chuck for a long time, but I used to buy a lot of  Marvel Masterworks and other items for him when he was at SDCC. His higher prices take into account the largest comic book store's upkeep and and expenses and a large number of employees as opposed to a regular E-bay seller.

Yeah... This business model isn't what I would call "sound".

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

he is a Dinosaur in today's times

I wonder which operation is bigger comic book wise Chuck says he has like 10 million at the store and 4 million in storage as his ranch or something and that he has the biggest collection/stock in the world...but I think MCS is bigger..right?

10 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

4 million in storage at his ranch

Hopefully not in poor storage conditions such as in a barn.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I wonder which operation is bigger comic book wise Chuck says he has like 10 million at the store and 4 million in storage as his ranch or something and that he has the biggest collection/stock in the world...but I think MCS is bigger..right?

I don't know if @mycomicshop has 10,000,000 comics, HOWEVER, when it comes to comics that people actually want to own/collect, IMO, MCS has a far better selection

7 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

- inventory value - Mile High doesn't have much of a footprint with older and more expensive books. My guess would be that our inventory at any given point in time is considerably more valuable than any 10 million bulk comics they've accumulated.

According to who's prices :baiting: