• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Robbery lol  not sure that’s what insurance investigators will call it. Given that the lot where the “robbery” occurred is apparently not Chucks my guess is it’s not his insurance company that will be receiving the claim. The very fact that Chuck would feel the need to blast this out in a press release makes me even more skeptical.  Who’s he trying to convince?  Apparently his narcissism knows no bounds. 

Not to be technical, however, no one is going to call this a robbery OR at least no one who knows the definition of robbery.

Robbery: The action of taking property unlawfully from a person or place by force or threat of force.

No one was assaulted, threatened, or even aware of the theft taking place and as such no robbery occurred.

IF this occurred as claimed, the correct term would be Burglary (entry into a building illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft).  To be more specific, IF it occurred, I would think Burglary of a Motor Vehicle would be the correct charge.

Of course this is all assuming events occurred as they have been portrayed. :facepalm:

On another note - @ThothAmon that is a great sig line.  :golfclap:WOW! (thumbsu

On 11/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, Hudson said:

As I sit here watching the election results come in, I decided to see if Mile High had become any more "reasonable" in their pricing (since I have a long night ahead and wanted something to fill the time).

I looked on the Mile High site first and decided to look at their 10 oldest Action Comics for sale.   Then I looked at @mycomicshop to compare prices.  Here are the results.

#91 - MH price for a Good $519        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#193 - MH price for a Fair $204        MCS - Currently does not have a copy for sale

#218 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - CGC graded 7.0 for $280

#219 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - 2 Copies for sale - a Good Minus for $49 and a GD/VG for $58

*Even if MH offers one of their 60% off sales (which I have not seen in awhile), their copy would still be a Fair at $69.60.

#228 - MH price for a Good $288        MCS - 4 copies for sale ranging from a Good Minus for $33.50 to a GD/VG for $58.00

*Even at 60% off the MH price for a Good would be $115.20

#232 - MH price for a Fair $174        MCS - Price for a FR/GD is $43.50

*This means the MCS price is only 25% of the MH price :facepalm:

#237 - MH price for a Fair $144        MCS - 5 copies for sale ranging from Fair/Good $29.50 to VG at $124

#246 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 3 copies for sale.  A Good for $34.50, a VG- for $55, and a CGC 7.0 for $205

*Not sure about you, but I would take a CGC 7.0 for $205 long before taking a raw Good for $240 :juggle:

#249 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 2 copies for sale.  A Fair/Good for $24.50 and a CGC 6.0 for $150 OBO.

#250 - MH price for a Good $240     MCS - 8 copies for sale ranging from a Poor $8.60 to a VG- for $55.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHO IS PAYING THESE MH PRICES????(shrug)

I have never sold a comic on these boards, but if you are paying MH prices, I could make an exception.

:roflmao:

The Mile High motto is what's killing his business. 

7 hours ago, Prince Namor said:

The price will change when and if it ever gets restocked.

Yes, he has gotten better about jacking up every price so that even the 40% off doesn't matter much, but believe it or not, a few years ago I was actually able to put together a few orders big enough for free shipping of what he had that was decently priced after 40% off. I bought a stack of nice Black Lightening 1s for about $6 after the discount and took a gamble on a bunch of Fugitoid 1s in nice shape that I think wound up under $5 each. Fugitoid 1 still has not popped (I still think my $5 has turned a profit), which is nuts given that it is the 5th or 6th TNMNT appearance, but i guess they printed a lot of them, I have no idea why. And a big stack of Deadpool TPBs, which after 40% off were priced well, which my oldest son enjoyed a lot for christmas. And a couple of other things. Finding $60 worth of deals right now is pretty difficult.

5 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

The Mile High motto is what's killing his business. 

To be fair, he always has a coupon, so take 40-60% off...

I am surprised by how many books MCS does not have in stock (and Mile High). I know they have a huge inventory, but I like to research various price points when setting my prices (or buying), so after looking at ebay i look at their (MCS, not Mile High..) website (and also to confirm printings, etc.) and am often amazed by how often what i consider common books that i have multiples of are out of stock. 

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am surprised by how many books MCS does not have in stock (and Mile High). I know they have a huge inventory, but I like to research various price points when setting my prices (or buying), so after looking at ebay i look at their (MCS, not Mile High..) website (and also to confirm printings, etc.) and am often amazed by how often what i consider common books that i have multiples of are out of stock. 

If books are priced at the correct price point (FMV), then it does not surprise me that MCS would be out of stock.  If their business model is to sell as many books as possible (not hoard them), then they would price them fairly and move them quickly (thus often being out of stock until they can aquire more).

Just now, Hudson said:

If books are priced at the correct price point (FMV), then it does not surprise me that MCS would be out of stock.  If their business model is to sell as many books as possible (not hoard them), then they would price them fairly and move them quickly (thus often being out of stock until they can aquire more).

I guess that's fair, they price the lower/mid grade filler books within the realm of reason. Not necessarily blow out prices, but if you want a solidly graded VG/Fine copy of some book and are willing to pay $3-6 rather than hunting it down cheaper, then they're the most viable option. And as they are not really willing to pay anything for those books, people aren't selling them to them so much.

8 hours ago, Prince Namor said:

It's very possible those thieves stole that inventory and then sold it back to him unknowingly.

It's true, with so few conventions chuck must miss wandering around shows vacuuming up long boxes of dollar books and putting them up at $50 on his website (I kid, I kid, I've actually chatted with chuck and he seems like a nice fellow. He didn't offer me mushrooms or anything though, but I was with my wife and kids...)

55 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Not to be technical, however, no one is going to call this a robbery OR at least no one who knows the definition of robbery.

Robbery: The action of taking property unlawfully from a person or place by force or threat of force.

No one was assaulted, threatened, or even aware of the theft taking place and as such no robbery occurred.

IF this occurred as claimed, the correct term would be Burglary (entry into a building illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft).  To be more specific, IF it occurred, I would think Burglary of a Motor Vehicle would be the correct charge.

Of course this is all assuming events occurred as they have been portrayed. :facepalm:

On another note - @ThothAmon that is a great sig line.  :golfclap:WOW! (thumbsu

well, you are being technical...chuck was burgled! (maybe) ... although if it was an inside job, maybe something else

On 11/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, paperheart said:

what a business model.  every time you need to juice the cash flow, there's magically: a flood, a robbery, a natural disaster. rake in the insurance on overvalued garbage, voila...

Another Robbery at Mile High Comics

Howdy!

I am using my last week of convalescent leave from my recent abdominal surgery to finally undertake the truly depressing task of (Slowly) sorting through our storage trailer that was ransacked by thieves over a period of several weeks (months?) earlier this year. This trailer is one of seven that we parked in a “secure” lot four years ago, when we sold our 56th Ave. warehouse. The trailers are filled with pallets of unsorted and overstock comics and magazines, excess office fixtures, and all ten+ tons of our steel pallet racking from 56th.

110620trailersm.jpg
Truck interior

It had long been our desire to move those 53’ storage trailers over to Jason St. to unload them, but that task was repeatedly delayed due to a lack of space, and the logistic difficulties of being unable to close our dock doors once a 53’ trailer was parked in one of our 45’ bays. Getting our storage trailers over to Jason St. was the easy part. Getting them totally unloaded, and then arranging to have the empty trailer retrieved by the trucking company that same day, was where it all became difficult.

In any event, our storage yard was ransacked by thieves who broke into at least 20 trailers, and burned one of them (not ours) to a shell. They caused minimal harm to the contents of six of our trailers, but this seventh one was savagely pillaged, with tens of thousands of comics and magazines being stolen, and many more being damaged as the thieves dumped boxes everywhere, and then walked all over the contents.

110620burnedtrailersm.jpg
Burnt Trailer. Not ours, so it could have been worse.

Truth be told, I am the one who has to sort through this horrific mess because I am the only one left in the company who knows what was on those pallets, as many of them were (intentionally) stashed by me to quietly age over 30 years ago. I will not dismay anyone by revealing precisely what was taken, but I am currently estimating that our loss (at retail) is at least $250,000.00, and probably end up at least twice that much. That is just a conservative estimate, however, as I cannot yet even access to the middle of the trailer at this point, much less the front. Suffice it to say, our losses are looking really, really bad.

If he lowered his prices he would not have to keep in trailers. somehow joe koch got his avalanche of wonder under control.

4 hours ago, the blob said:

So is he telling us that comics we're buying have been out in trucks for decades during frigid colorado winters and hot summers?

That's what I thought too! I guess the whole keep comics out of a  storage space doesn't apply for Chuckie.

I placed an order on Jan 9th and still don't see my comics marked as shipped on ebay. Their description says the can shipping within 48 hrs M-F and 3 business days is stated in the shipping details... Anyone else noticing a slow down? I don't want to tip them off because I ordered multiple copies of the same comic cheap

I use to live 15 min from them 3 years ago. The back issues are overpriced but there was so much stock available at $1 or less it was insane. Cool place to just to hang out and look at toys and comics and other collectibles. Would spend hours in there. 

On 1/14/2021 at 3:28 PM, 906Ryan said:

I use to live 15 min from them 3 years ago. The back issues are overpriced but there was so much stock available at $1 or less it was insane. Cool place to just to hang out and look at toys and comics and other collectibles. Would spend hours in there. 

I admit, I would like to go and see this place in person. 

I am assuming he does not charge admission (probably should not give him any ideas) and so it wouldn't cost me anything just to look and enjoy the vast quantity of material he has acquired.

4 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I admit, I would like to go and see this place in person. 

I am assuming he does not charge admission (probably should not give him any ideas) and so it wouldn't cost me anything just to look and enjoy the vast quantity of material he has acquired.

My son moved to Denver in April 2019 and we visited that summer, and made a trip to the warehouse. It is, indeed, a fun place to see.

If I manage to take my roadtrip vacation this year, I think Mile High is going to be one of my stops.  Like everyone else has said, it seems like a really cool place to see, and I'd probably buy a something or three just as a thanks for letting me hang out and gawk for a few hours.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, the blob said:

they've become the number 1 place on the web for back issues. So with the comic market gaining heat, many new collectors went there, rendering lots of books out of stock.