• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

He has a plan...to corner the comic book market by sheer force...such that his selection will be the "only game in town" then with this power HE will set the prices you pay..not the market...he is going out and buying more as we speak and at 11.5 million comic books he is still going strong.

MCS will never let this happen.

If you had to guessamate how many books do think MCS has in stock??? 3 mil 5mil...how many or is Chuck up on the market by Double his nearest competitor ?

I think you cannot reasonably compare the two. MCS probably has less books than MH, however, the books they have seem (IMO) to cover more of the GA and probably more of the SA.. You need to factor in a "quality" component.

If I have 11 million copies of a book nobody wants then I really cannot hurt the market. If, however, I have 11 million books that people are actively looking for, then that is another story.

For me, Chuck's website contains very little that interests me. I will not call what he has "junk", as that may be what others collect and I respect that. Due to my lack of interest, however, in what he sells, I am forced to rely on other people's postings to know whether the books he has would have any significant market impact if they were all to be sold at once (at a fire sale price).

I've done the same price comparisons. I also don't see how MH stays in business. Sometimes I can find expensive comics there (under $2) but otherwise their prices are 10x more expensive. I like Chuck, I enjoy his emails and his articles from the old Comic Buyer's Guide. But I don't see why anyone would buy from MH, their prices aren't even close to Lone Star, Metropolis, etc.

n2wdw - Just want you to know I really like your sig line.

(thumbs u

The worlds largest junk yard probably has over a million cars--- but would anyone want them? Maybe some parts here and there. But to cmpare it to a thriving dealership would be ludicrous.

My point here is that Mmehdy seems to think quantity is what matters when all of us are far more concerned with quality. What do serious collectors talk about on these boards? Keys, condition, print runs scarcity.

Sure-- if you were only concerned with amassing a huge pile of paper-- Chuck is clearly the front runner. I suppose if someone wanted to do the same, they could go out and buy everyone boxes of drek. I am not saying all of what Mile High has is garbage-- clearly they have wall books. But to act as ALL of that inventory is comprised of highly desirable copies of significant comics is lunacy.

Some of the examples given involved adding 100 copies of this or that key book. Then making some huge leap that Chuck has tons of key books and could flood the market with them if he chose to do so. I seriously doubt that is the case. He might have enough to for a short time impact pricing for some books but not the entire hobby. Even if he did-- what would he have left? A warehouse full of drek and variants? I suppose he could corner that market-- although few would really care.

We can be in a little bit of awe over the size of his holdings. I just cannot see how anyone could ever "corner the market" in comics and will never understand why one would try in the first place. Chuck likes to run his store the way he does-- good for him and I'm estatic that he is happy. But as much as he talks about staying up on the business and what is hot currently-- that part seems deluded.

In response, Chuck just bought a SA colleciton from Las Vegas he estimates at 10,000 issues..dumping that can impact any market, I disagree with the fact the he cannot seriously effect the market..he is trying to create himself the "market" and he is buying out competition...when he is taking dowm 120,000 comic book and 200,000 comic book competitors in the same week you had better get you head out of the sand.

This is guy is coming on strong with his price structure of flea market, trade show, gallery three tier pricing...in other words he prices it to it stops selling like in the video of new mutants 98 at 2600 dollars, he had sold one for 2200....this what we to look forward to..

Edited by Mmehdy

In response, Chuck just bought a SA colleciton from Las Vegas he estimates at 10,000 issues, I disagree with the fact the he cannot seriously impact the market..he is trying to create himself the "market" and he is buying out competition...when he is taking dowm 120,000 comic book and 200,000 comic book competitors in the same week you had better get you head out of the sand.

This is guy is coming on strong with his price structure of flea market, trade show, gallery three tier pricing...in other words he prices it to it stops selling like in the video of new mutants 98 at 2600 dollars, he had sold one for 2200....this what we to look forward to..

you are delusional; he would giddily trade all 11MM issues of this dreck for the Church Action #1 he built this empire of rubbish upon.

In response, Chuck just bought a SA colleciton from Las Vegas he estimates at 10,000 issues, I disagree with the fact the he cannot seriously impact the market..he is trying to create himself the "market" and he is buying out competition...when he is taking dowm 120,000 comic book and 200,000 comic book competitors in the same week you had better get you head out of the sand.

you are delusional; he would giddily trade all 11MM issues of this dreck for the Church Action #1 he built this empire of rubbish upon.

+1 The guy is obviously not hurting to be able to price his books as such. As for flooding the market, really? He only has drek which someone like myself would be interested in. And I am not a client because lets face it, I can get my drek for so much cheaper elsewhere.

His loss

In response, Chuck just bought a SA colleciton from Las Vegas he estimates at 10,000 issues..dumping that can impact any market, I disagree with the fact the he cannot seriously effect the market..he is trying to create himself the "market" and he is buying out competition...when he is taking dowm 120,000 comic book and 200,000 comic book competitors in the same week you had better get you head out of the sand.

You been huffing spray paint again?

I love it when people think anyone can corner any market---it always ends badly.....just ask the Hunt Brothers and their endeavors "cornering" the silver market. I wish Chuck luck.....he can have every single key issue ever made, have them double boarded and bagged....then have them ready to go into the hole with him forever.....no one will care.

I have see the video evidence....he does not even know what he owns....this is not rubbish this is REALITY..12 million comic books give or take a couple of hundred thousand is part of a plan...chuck wants to reshape the pricing structure of comic books by controlling supply and having every comic book in every grade....why do think he wants that...its called control....

It is sometimes hard to accept reality..Chuck's goal to change the comic book pricing was explained in the video with the comic book couple who traveled to his store...price it as high and you can still nobody buys it then come down....again it has nothing to do with overstreet or auctions or anything. He is not acting as fool which he has been made out here..this guy has plan and it right in front of your faces...eliminate competition, control supply, and then place ads saying the world's largest store...

There is a lot on this board, but this is buying 100,000- 120,000 comic books for $1500 he must be doing something right

Edited by Mmehdy

Mitch - due respect, but you're mistaking quantity for quality here.

I'd be far more concerned if Chuck's major competitors like Lone Star or Metropolis dumped their books. We know they have quality. We also know they have enough quantity to run at least half a dozen auctions a year, each. Because inventory turns matter.

If Chuck were truly concerned about cash flow or inventory turns, he would do the same - run periodic auctions for working capital. But he doesn't.

Why?

My guess is he doesn't have the goods.

As cool as they are, 40 copies of say, Strikeforce Morituri # 1 & 10 (1st Portacio art, son!) don't really pay the bills.

11.5 million is what, one month's worth of production in the early 90s? There's no cornering the market here.

That what he is admitting to, if listen carefully he has a "stash" of over 2 million comic books in Boulder, his estimate for his main store in other videos has been 10 million since he combined his two stores..he just bought 400,000 comics and paperbacks over 6 purchases last month alone...you do the math...I think minimum 12 mil maybe 12.4 mil...that is market controlling power..no matter what anybody else has..staggering what this guy can do to the comic book market...at a whim.

Nothing.

He can do nothing.

"Cornering the comic book market" :roflmao: now I've heard it all!

I'd be far more concerned if Chuck's major competitors like Lone Star or Metropolis dumped their books. We know they have quality. We also know they have enough quantity to run at least half a dozen auctions a year, each. Because inventory turns matter.

If Chuck were truly concerned about cash flow or inventory turns, he would do the same - run periodic auctions for working capital. But he doesn't.

Why?

As cool as they are, 40 copies of say, Strikeforce Morituri # 1 & 10 (1st Portacio art, son!) don't really pay the bills.

On the video he says his american Indian pottery collection is the best in the world ..5 million dollars worth....he says he does not want to make money but own more comics....meaning he wants more market share/ more control over prices..this is pretty plain here. There has to be an endgame plan.....what do you think it is?

Edited by Mmehdy

[i have see the video evidence....he does not even know what he owns....this is not rubbish this is REALITY..12 million comic books give or take a couple of hundred thousand is part of a plan...chuck wants to reshape the pricing structure of comic books by controlling supply and having every comic book in every grade....why do think he wants that...its called control....

If he wants to make sure that he has single digit customers, I guess that's a strategy. I have no problems bowing out when I can't afford it. My hobby didn't come with lubricant. At least I get a GF experience with the current vendors I buy from.

mahkemeye-ba%C5%9Fvurup-ismini-lube-yapt%C4%B1ran-insan_452189.jpg

It is sometimes hard to accept reality..Chuck's goal to change the comic book pricing was explained in the video with the comic book couple who traveled to his store...price it as high and you can still nobody buys it then come down....again it has nothing to do with overstreet or auctions or anything. He is not acting as fool which he has been made out here..this guy has plan and it right in front of your faces...eliminate competition, control supply, and then place ads saying the world's largest store...

There is a lot on this board, but this is buying 100,000- 120,000 comic books for $1500 he must be doing something right

he's been saying that for 20 years. where has it gotten him? further into debt and w/ a more enormous pile of worthless krap

Why?

On the video he says his american Indian pottery collection is the best in the world ..5 million dollars worth....he says he does not want to make money but own more comics....meaning he wants more market share/ more control over prices..this is pretty plain here. There has to be an endgame plan.....what do you think it is?

What I am wondering is why you actually purport to care? Seriously. He is not going to "corner" any market.....and even if he did---in your wildest imagination, let's say he really did. No one will care---I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. Have you ever heard of the law of unintended consequences?

he's been saying that for 20 years. where has it gotten him? further into debt and w/ a more enormous pile of worthless krap

He doesn't seem to have made that much progress since I used to buy from him in the early 90s, with numerous books out of stock across grades. At least back then he had some interesting, high grade and cheap books in his mail order catalogue's Specials section.

Cornering the market? That's a good one. :roflmao:

Chuck is a hoarder in the most unhealthy obsession.

This. This can be the only reason I can see for his outrageous prices. He can't bear to part with them

I wish I had his income to be able to hoard so many books

Yeah-- because he would never lie about anything he is doing or boast/make claims that aren't 100% factual. Oh wait-- it was on the internet so it must be a fact now.

Come on-- half of what he says sounds like total BS. His pricing practice- however he wants to explain it - basically prices his book at the very top of the market without regard to demand. Pretty much anyone can find a NM 98 in that grade for far less than his sticker or even his old price.

The only market he is cornering-- something that would take 12 times the warehouse space he has at the least (and I am probably underestimating)-- is the over priced and over graded market. He acts like he has everything "figured out"-- and that is perfectly fine in terms of how he wants to run his business. I would argue he has a demented view of the market place in general. Tons of stuff? sure. Will it all sell? No chance.

Personally-- I think you are just trolling this thread at this point.