• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The Price is Right Halloween costume. Have your pet spayed or neutered. $1  Bob … | Office halloween costumes, Halloween costume puns, Quick diy  halloween costumes

On 3/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 3/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, valiantman said:

How did they get Coors to sponsor their cardboard-boxes-and-construction-paper trip to a taping?

idk, but there were a few billboards as a kid I would have sponsored from Coors, these cats are more the type, so maybe windows of opportunity? I'm sure it was just to commemorate attending or attempting to get on the show :cheers: rather than an "official anything." Still they still look way too sober to be a winner on the Price is Right lol 

Justin Timberlake explains the origins of 'D— in a Box,' says it almost  never happened | EW.com

:news:

For those unaware May often brings us a special "holiday" known as "Free Comic Book Day".

I am not an expert as to the definition of every word in the dictionary, however, I thought I knew what the word "free" was defined as.

Apparently I was mistaken. (shrug)

Here is a section of the email I received from Mile High....

As regards purchasing sets of all FCBD issues, that will be a bit more problematic this year, as we only have 100 sets available. They can be ordered now for $125, but will also not be shipped until May 8th. If you are interested, we do highly recommend reserving your FCBD set ASAP, as we are truly doubtful that our supplies will last very long. 'Nuff said.

:facepalm:

On 4/30/2023 at 6:38 PM, Hudson said:

For those unaware May often brings us a special "holiday" known as "Free Comic Book Day".

I am not an expert as to the definition of every word in the dictionary, however, I thought I knew what the word "free" was defined as.

As regards purchasing sets of all FCBD issues, that will be a bit more problematic this year, as we only have 100 sets available. They can be ordered now for $125, but will also not be shipped until May 8th. If you are interested, we do highly recommend reserving your FCBD set ASAP, as we are truly doubtful that our supplies will last very long. 'Nuff said.

An infinity (or would it be not a number?) % mark-up is consistent with Chuck’s typical pricing.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:57 AM, mattn792 said:

An infinity (or would it be not a number?) % mark-up is consistent with Chuck’s typical pricing.

But, 60 % off of that would be a bargain, I think, but then my arithmetic’s not very good.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/30/2023 at 7:38 PM, Hudson said:

It's good for a laugh, I guess, but as @Domo Arigato pointed out two years ago, there's some facts involved that make this have a certain degree of sense:

On 8/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I thought the same thing and started laughing as soon as I read his email.

However....to be fair......these comics are not provided free to the retailers.  They're meant as an incentive to make people aware of their local store(s) and get them in the door, in the hopes of generating future business (whether that works or not is a different story).

If Chuck provided a complete set for free through his website, nobody would have an incentive to visit a comic store in their area.  They could just sit on their couch and order the set for free without leaving their house.

Based on Chuck's emails....he's providing a few different ways to get the FCBD books (some free and some not)

1. Visit the Mile High Comics store and 3 FCBD books per customer will be free
  2. Order through the Mile High website and you can choose 1 FCBD book for free with each $10 spent.
  3. Order the entire set of FCBD books through the Mile High website for $100

But it's still sounds funny to buy the free books for $100. 

And to be sure, the part of the paragraph from the newsletter you didn't post makes clear it's the same this year:

" If you are seeking individual issues, one 2023 FCBD variant can be requested for each $10 in purchases that you make with us this week (net of all discounts). Simply add up your order, and then deduct the benefits of the 60% off NEWYEAR! codeword discount to reach your "net" figure. Let us then know in the "notes" as to which FCBD individual issues you would like us to reserve for you. Please do note that orders containing this year's FCBD sets and/or singles cannot ship until next Monday, May 8th."

I would be shocked to learn of a comic shop anywhere that would give you a complete set of FCBD issues for free without any sort of purchase.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:31 AM, ttfitz said:

It's good for a laugh,

Sir,

Thank you for your post and "yes", you are 100% correct that this entire thread is intended to be humorous.

Full disclosure...

1) I have nothing personally against Chuck, Mile High, or anyone affiliated with MH.

2) A number of the books in my personal collection were purchased from MH (albeit these were added several years ago, when IMO the prices were a little closer to FMV).

3) I personally have not had any "bad experiences" with MH.  I have never personally had any problem with their grading, shipping, or anything else.

4) From his emails, it appears Chuck is an extremely hard worker; often traveling long distances to purchase collections and backfill his seemingly never ending supply of comics.

5) I am not a comic seller or flipper.  I have never even sold a single book here on the boards (although I have given more books away to other board members than I can remember); I say this to let you know that I am not all that familiar with how comic shops or selling works.  I am simply a collector.

" If you are seeking individual issues, one 2023 FCBD variant can be requested for each $10 in purchases that you make with us this week (net of all discounts). Simply add up your order, and then deduct the benefits of the 60% off NEWYEAR! codeword discount to reach your "net" figure. Let us then know in the "notes" as to which FCBD individual issues you would like us to reserve for you. Please do note that orders containing this year's FCBD sets and/or singles cannot ship until next Monday, May 8th."

I do not know what "most" comic shops policy is with regards to "free comic book day".  I have no real interest in these books, however, I have been to local comic shops and I have never been to any that required a purchase to recieve a free comic book (or even several free comics).  I say this with the concession that these stores are not having to ship the books to the customers who come in and pick up books (as a mail order company would have to do); thus I can understand a mail order store would not be able to just mail out an endless supply of free comics without any compensation.  I would hope no one would expect that.

I would be shocked to learn of a comic shop anywhere that would give you a complete set of FCBD issues for free without any sort of purchase.

I do not know how many comics are included in a "complete set" (again, I do not have any interest in these books), however, in past years, the LCS here has allowed each customer to come in and pick out 5 comics and leave; no charge.  I have seen entire families come in and each person picked out a number of books and left; no charge.  I guess in theroy, a family with 4 children could come in with mom and dad and pick up 30 different comics free of charge.  If they brought grandma, grandpa, or weird uncle with them, that number would be even higher.  Again, I have no clue how many books make up a "complete set" (I would welcome this info if anyone knows how many books are in this set) or how many family members one would have to drag in to receive a complete set for free.  I also am NOT encouraging anyone to do this.  I do not believe this is the purpose or in the "spirit" of FCBD.

I think the question here (which perhaps should be the topic of a different thread) is, "What is the spirit and intent of FCBD?"

I do not understand the comic shop business, however, it is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that comic publishers make books for FCBD in order to give potential new customers a "peek" at what a title or character has to offer; to entice the customer to purchase books in the future.  As such, I am assuming (and this is an assumption) that the publishers supply these books to the LCS at a lower price than that of normal comics.  I do not know what that price is (perhaps someone in the business could shed some light on this), however, it seems logical that it would be at a lower price than normal comics, in hopes that the LCS will order and give away a lot of these and subsequently customers will read and enjoy the FCB enough to buy the title or character moving forward.

If then the publisher is supplying these at a lower cost (possibly even at a loss; I don't know), then is it in the "spirit" of FCBD to charge for these?  Perhaps it would be better to ask if it is in keeping with the "spirit" of the day, for a LCS to make a profit on these books?  I am not saying here that anyone is making a profit, as I do not know the cost of these books (this is simply a hypothetical question).

In the end, however, I am a strong believer in the free market system.  Comic books are not a necessity and as such, I believe sellers should be allowed to charge what they want for the books.  It is up to the customer to decide if that price is "reasonable" and if they wish to part with their hard earned cash in exchange for the books in question.

Again, this thread is intended to promote humor and nothing more.  I respect everyone's absolute right to buy/sell comics at any price that both buyer and seller agee is acceptable.

Thank you again to @ttfitz for taking the time and effort to post and for offering thoughts on this topic.  Your post was polite, well thought out, and respectful.  I am very thankful whenever board members can discuss things in this manner.