• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
5 5

648 posts in this topic

Chuckles is a DRAG QUEEN! :roflmao:

hm

:gossip:

lol

:roflmao:

:tonofbricks:

I always assumed you were too..., :shrug:

That's a visual.......... :eek:

Put on your termite costume for me..., blitch...,

hm

lol

Bwaaqaaqhahaha. :roflmao:. You Johns are all alike. :luhv:

hm

lol

Bite like you mean it..., :/

hm

lol

Bite like you mean it..., :/

Masher.... :taptaptap:

Maybe they are taking some kind of tax refund on business losses (a la Trump)? ;)

The sale of one of his warehouses to the pot business in Colorado was enough to take him out of any debt he had and for him to continue to operate for years to come.

A year or two ago they actually had some stuff that after the codeword was not bad, especially if you got the free shipping. yes, it was like .01% of the listings.

now it seems like they have jacked up the prices another 100%, so there is very little there.

with that said, if you are looking for lower grade filler books, i think they are still probably ok if you hit the free shipping.

Years ago, I did buy from them. With their "code word" it seems I would still pay a little more than FMV, but a few dollars was not the end of the world. Now, I look at their site and prices (as shown) and scratch my head. Even if they offer 60% off and free shipping, it seems I would still be paying way more than I would at MCS (for example). Throw that in with the strict grading at MCS and it seems like a no brainer (at least on the readily available, low grade SA books in my example). To be honest, I did not look any further on the MH site than the Actions. After seeing those prices, I was done. Also, given their lowest Action was #193, I figured they probably are not deep in GA.

Now the examples I provided before were readily available non-key issues.

If we look at semi-key and key issues from the same time frame I would have to look at AC242 and AC252. Since MH does not have a single copy of Action 252 in their 10,000,000 book inventory, I looked at Action 242. MH has one copy.

MH copy of Action 242 in Good - $3,724.00

Take off 60% and we are left paying $1,489.60

MCS copy of Action 242 in Good - $850

Add a 3% buyer premium on this and we pay - $875.50

That means that MH price on this book is $614.10 higher than arguably the same book at MCS. The MH sale price is thus more than 70% higher than the day to day price at MCS.

I can see how this might work in the days before the internet, but how does it work now?

Chuck says he is rich (his own words), so somehow this must be working for him. Just amazes me.

hm

This video may have been shared previously, but I enjoyed Chuck's explanation when a collector asked him about his raw NM 98 priced at $2,600.

Fast forward to about 21:20. Interesting perspective.

And if you've never heard of Comic Trips I highly recommend them. Great YouTubers.

I had not seen this video before. I look forward to watching the whole thing. I do like Chuck's statement that he raises the prices on his books until they stop selling.

doh!

This video may have been shared previously, but I enjoyed Chuck's explanation when a collector asked him about his raw NM 98 priced at $2,600.

And if you've never heard of Comic Trips I highly recommend them. Great YouTubers.

I had not seen this video before. I look forward to watching the whole thing. I do like Chuck's statement that he raises the prices on his books until they stop selling.

doh!

There are a number of places that do that. How do you think values go up from cover price?

I'm surprised a board search of threads hasn't come up already for this one.

I wouldn't waste time thinking about MH. Whatever they did right must have been fortune because their business practices now are pretty bizarre. There is more money to be made flipping real estate than with their present collection at those prices.

doh!

He "blew out" the last copy at $2200.

Nearly double an all-time 9.8 GPA record for a raw copy is "blowing out". Interesting customer base he must have.

I'm surprised a board search of threads hasn't come up already for this one.

I wouldn't waste time thinking about MH. Whatever they did right must have been fortune because their business practices now are pretty bizarre. There is more money to be made flipping real estate than with their present collection at those prices.

I tried, but the incredible search function only realized one other thread.

He "blew out" the last copy at $2200.

Nearly double an all-time 9.8 GPA record for a raw copy is "blowing out". Interesting customer base he must have.

I know a few people - not enough time, too much money - that don't dither around on price-checking purchases.

If you don't have a lot of expendable cash, and either have time, and/or love the shopping around aspect to get the good deals, then Mile High is not for you.

I look at a lot of pricing on here sometimes and wonder where is that in the real world? Do they ever sell for that price? Etc.

and, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Andy!!!

Agreed:

"With that black spine it really hard to get them without spine pr_cks."

Edited by ygogolak

A year or two ago they actually had some stuff that after the codeword was not bad, especially if you got the free shipping. yes, it was like .01% of the listings.

now it seems like they have jacked up the prices another 100%, so there is very little there.

with that said, if you are looking for lower grade filler books, i think they are still probably ok if you hit the free shipping.

Years ago, I did buy from them. With their "code word" it seems I would still pay a little more than FMV, but a few dollars was not the end of the world. Now, I look at their site and prices (as shown) and scratch my head. Even if they offer 60% off and free shipping, it seems I would still be paying way more than I would at MCS (for example). Throw that in with the strict grading at MCS and it seems like a no brainer (at least on the readily available, low grade SA books in my example). To be honest, I did not look any further on the MH site than the Actions. After seeing those prices, I was done. Also, given their lowest Action was #193, I figured they probably are not deep in GA.

Now the examples I provided before were readily available non-key issues.

If we look at semi-key and key issues from the same time frame I would have to look at AC242 and AC252. Since MH does not have a single copy of Action 252 in their 10,000,000 book inventory, I looked at Action 242. MH has one copy.

MH copy of Action 242 in Good - $3,724.00

Take off 60% and we are left paying $1,489.60

MCS copy of Action 242 in Good - $850

Add a 3% buyer premium on this and we pay - $875.50

That means that MH price on this book is $614.10 higher than arguably the same book at MCS. The MH sale price is thus more than 70% higher than the day to day price at MCS.

I can see how this might work in the days before the internet, but how does it work now?

Chuck says he is rich (his own words), so somehow this must be working for him. Just amazes me.

hm

I don't think there's much doubt he glories in having millions of comics on hand and is not too concerned about selling his pre-1990 back issues unless, by chance, he has multiples on an issue.

I think he makes his dough selling trades and runs of post-1990 books to people who want to read them and aren't too concerned about condition.

I haven't bought anything but trades from him (in his periodic 50% off sales) in many years. The last time I tried to buy trades from him there was a hassle over my credit card, so I walked away from the sale.

I still get his daily e-mail newsletters, which can be interesting.

That video was hilarious. My favourite part was that Chuck says he buys everything for 1/4 of value and sells for 3x value. That one line sums up the MHC pricing pretty succinctly and if that's working, no wonder he's still in business.

I've ordered from MHC 3 or 4 times in order to quickly fill large holes in the moderns part of my collection. My experiences have been very positive. One-stop shopping, with books that were well graded (for the most part), well packaged and low shipping costs. That being said, it's true that their regular prices on many issues can be high (one mile high!). However the key is to buy from them only during 'codeword' sales. They typically range between 40-60% off. All the comics I purchased from them last week at 60% off were cheaper than any others I could find on eBay.

He doesn't want to actually sell books. Just see how many he can accumulate.

If you go to mile high comics and look at the latest newsletter and the one before...he just both out a competitors stock of over 100K comics and a bunch of trade paperbacks..he is on the hunt jacking collections and stores ..his newsletters says he going on a buying spree....might be a good guy to sell to?