• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Comics for Young Daughters

21 posts in this topic

Hi Boardies,

A coworker that knows I collect comics stopped by and inquired about appropriate comics for her 10 year old daughter. She is looking for some books that include art that doesn't sexualize the female character/s.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

0l6IdQi.jpg

Just grabbed what I could off of the shelves whilst they were sleeping. I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old daughter and they are both into comics although the majority share by far belongs to the 9 year old ;)

First off I totally have to go with revivedrevival's recomendation of "Nimona". Brilliant book and very popular... but if there's one that keeps getting read over and over it's Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. Oh, and don't be too worried about throwing in books that you might think are targeted more towards boys once they are into comics. They will make up their own minds with the choices they are given and some stuff like Batman Adventures or Itty Bitty Hellboy you can pick up at Car Boot / Yard sales so it doesn't have to cost the earth.

So here's a starter list...

Nimona

Spider-man loves Mary Jane

Bone (the one volume edition i cheap but daunting)

Zita the Space Girl

Oz

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers

Ms Marvel

Lumberjanes

Adventure Time

In Real Life (cool stuff if they are a bit of a gamer at heart)

The Courageous Princess

Baba Yaga's Assistant

Pokemon (Manga)

Anya's Ghost

I keep meaning to scout out The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Bandette too but haven't gotten around to it...

edit: BTW Spider-Man loves Mary Jane does have elements of teen romance in it but it doesn't sexualise females in the way which comics aimed at older readers do.

edit2: Bandette not really suitable

I have an almost-8-year-old son who isn't terribly into superheroes but loves humor comics. Bone, Calvin & Hobbes, Mickey Mouse/Ducks, and Franco-Belgian comics like Smurfs and Asterix are all regular reads of his. Yokai Watch is a popular kids manga and he enjoyed the first volume of that, too.

I have a 9-year-old daughter... Not much in the LCS interests her, though she will pick up some of IDW's licensed titles occasionally.

The real excitement in that age range are the graphic novels of Raina Telgemeier... Unfortunately, most LCS' don't carry these books, but you can find them in just about any bookstore.

She was also very interested in the DC Superhero Girls line, but told me the other day that while she liked the stories, "they were not very well written."

I agree that Leave It To Chance is a good book for girls, only my two won't read it! Runaways was a big hit for my older daughter when she was around 12-13 and then she fell for Scott Pilgrim.