• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is wrong with this cover?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Too easy....

1. That years model of the spaceship only came with limited slip posi-traction which would require 2 engines, not one central engine. The engine exhaust should be coming from the two rear side ports, the back hatch is just the garbage dump.

2. The third plant from the SW corner of South America is blue, not white... every 3rd grader knows that.

-bc

PS - cool thread :)

Yes. And when I was buying that book on ebay I decided to look at photos of mars to see what the canal lines really look like and I was amazed that they don't even exist...I doubt if 10% of the population even know that...and i doubt if the other 90% even care... lol

There are a few astronomy fans over in the Water Cooler that should've got this more or less immediately, myself included. But, for me, not at 2am UK time. zzz

Yes. And when I was buying that book on ebay I decided to look at photos of mars to see what the canal lines really look like and I was amazed that they don't even exist...I doubt if 10% of the population even know that...and i doubt if the other 90% even care... lol

There are a few astronomy fans over in the Water Cooler that should've got this more or less immediately, myself included. But, for me, not at 2am UK time. zzz

I noticed that they don't get much in a coherent manner... lol

On 10/11/2016 at 6:57 PM, tricolorbrian said:

^^ Congratulations! Yes, the canals were optical illusions made by the early telescopes in the 1800s...and i'm amazed that in the 1950s they were still being drawn on comic covers...

Wasn't that fun? hm

No, this is incorrect.  When humans settled on Mars they created the great canals mentioned by that pilot.  Now, upon returning to Earth, they see that Earth has now gone and done the same thing, but for stupid reasons (mostly to make North America look like a big pizza).

On 4/26/2017 at 6:30 PM, Yorick said:

No, this is incorrect.  When humans settled on Mars they created the great canals mentioned by that pilot.  Now, upon returning to Earth, they see that Earth has now gone and done the same thing, but for stupid reasons (mostly to make North America look like a big pizza).

Now, that's just dumb... lol

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:57 PM, tricolorbrian said:

^^ Congratulations! Yes, the canals were optical illusions made by the early telescopes in the 1800s...and i'm amazed that in the 1950s they were still being drawn on comic covers...

Wasn't that fun? hm

The image of Mars with conspicuous dark patterns had become so iconic that it persisted well beyond the discovery that the "canals" didn't really exist.  I'm sure Al Feldstein was up on his current astronomy, yet, in 1952, he still opted to draw Mars like this:

wf13_2015aa_zps5lvypc0c.jpg

17 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The image of Mars with conspicuous dark patterns had become so iconic that it persisted well beyond the discovery that the "canals" didn't really exist.  I'm sure Al Feldstein was up on his current astronomy, yet, in 1952, he still opted to draw Mars like this:

wf13_2015aa_zps5lvypc0c.jpg

I think it was also so that people would recognize it as mars.  Without the canals the planet would look kinda blah...