• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is wrong with this cover?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

What is the mistake DC made in the content of this cover? Anyone know? I'm not talking about condition of the book, just the cover content. There are actually 2 mistakes, but I'm not referring to the one that shows a split between north and south America.

fa76s4.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Why are the canals red? One canal goes through the great lakes. The shadow of the tail fin is on the left side of the ship, so the light should be coming from the right, so the earth and the moon should be illuminated from the right. The spaceship looks to be lifted from a famous funnies frank frazetta cover (214). The oceans aren't flowing into the canals. There's no snow, ice or clouds.

^^ Congratulations! Yes, the canals were optical illusions made by the early telescopes in the 1800s...and i'm amazed that in the 1950s they were still being drawn on comic covers...

Wasn't that fun? hm

:acclaim: I thought it was fun, I don't get to bust out my (usually) worthless knowledge of obscure trivia very often.

Yes. And when I was buying that book on ebay I decided to look at photos of mars to see what the canal lines really look like and I was amazed that they don't even exist...I doubt if 10% of the population even know that...and i doubt if the other 90% even care... lol

Try telling that to Edgar Rice Burroughs. :sumo:

1. I don't think there is any vantage point in space where you would be able to see the entire Earth, and yet have the moon as big as it is in this drawing.

2. We can see the entire Earth, but only see North America and a hint of South America. If we can see the entire Earth, then we should see all of both of those two continents.