• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning To Buyers!!!

55 posts in this topic

lol

He was going to pay you with the money they paid him?

Brings a new dimension to flipping. :/

Thats hilarious. Surprised people don't do that on ebay.

In the early days of the forum (I think it was even before the Marketplace Subforum was created) there was a guy that came here saying he had an incredible stock of back issues and just send him a want list. A few of us suspected there was some tomfoolery going on and that his "back issue stock" was really Superworld (Ted).

Sent him a very random wantlist with particular grades that I made up looking at Ted's website. I threw in a few other books that Ted didn't have.

Received a response from the "seller" that they had some of my want list in stock (coincidentally every book I had listed from Ted's site were the available books). They were all marked up $10-15 above Ted's prices. None of the "non-Superworld" books were available.

He was outed and ousted pretty quickly.

Was it here that I read that someone did this with eBay/Amazon?

The would put up hundreds of listings on eBay every day selling common products -- blenders, TVs, DVD players, whatever -- at a prespecified percentage above the Amazon price. As people would buy his stuff and pay on eBay, he would then order the item from Amazon and have it shipped to them.

He never had stock. He never had to hold an item. He made a small percentage on each purchase, and made a pretty decent price.

Either Amazon or eBay shut them down -- I can't remember which -- but this guy is doing something very similar.

The problem, though, is that this guy is trying to do it with collectables and a single dealer and not with appliances and a multinational seller.

(There are other problems, of course.)

So I should go through this guy if Nick has a book I am looking for?

No....you will need to add a 20 percent stock fee to your order and go through me.

I will in turn deal directly with him in getting the books from Nick.