• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 are DISTRIBUTION numbers, not PRINT RUN numbers.

301 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, darkstar said:

You understand that there are markets outside ebay, yes?

No, he doesn't. I know I've mentioned that multiple times in replies to his posts, but he never seems to get it.

Just because a public sale isn't easily visible from anywhere in the world, that doesn't mean it isn't a public sale.

Just because a copy hasn't been submitted to CGC, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jaydogrules said:

It's precisely what it means:  

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/819?articleID=110712

Your question was answered (and I didn't "maul" you when I did lol ). Though when you originally asked it you didn't say anything about your LCS ordering 50 copies of the regular cover.  You originally simply said that your LCS did not usually order 100 copies of ASM.  That being the case, barring a mistake by Diamond (possible, but not likely) they did not receive the 1:100 as an incentive.  Period.  I also told you how a small LCS on a remote Canadian island received the copy of the 1:100 (through a secondary source) that I ultimately was able to acquire-  A more likely scenario for your LCS as well.  You said you sold your copy a long time ago and have no regrets.  If that really is the case, it sounds like it's probably best to move on at this point.  (thumbsu

-J.

Not unlikely for Diamond to make that mistake at all.  We have received numerous variants we didn't qualify for/order and oftentimes didn't receive those that we did.  Diamond make mistakes with, I would say 9/10 deliveries of some kind.  This also shows that there are plenty of these variants printed and give no accurate information regarding print runs.  Diamond will also, from time to time offer ratio variants at a large discount after the event.  

50 minutes ago, Whizzer said:

Not unlikely for Diamond to make that mistake at all.  We have received numerous variants we didn't qualify for/order and oftentimes didn't receive those that we did.  Diamond make mistakes with, I would say 9/10 deliveries of some kind.  This also shows that there are plenty of these variants printed and give no accurate information regarding print runs.  Diamond will also, from time to time offer ratio variants at a large discount after the event.  

:popcorn:

50 minutes ago, Whizzer said:

I've seen and heard mistakes running both ways, meaning dealers also DO NOT at times receive books that they qualified for/ordered.  

And yes, Diamond occasionally liquidates remaindered case packs of un-ordered inventory- almost all of it drek.

-J.

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I've seen and heard mistakes running both ways, meaning dealers also DO NOT at times receive books that they qualified for/ordered.  

You are just rewriting what Whizzer already wrote:

1 hour ago, Whizzer said:

We have received numerous variants we didn't qualify for/order and oftentimes didn't receive those that we did.   

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

And yes, Diamond occasionally liquidates remaindered case packs of un-ordered inventory- almost all of it drek.

-J.

What you meant to write was that we know that they liquidate an unknown quantity of variants, including books that have been sold out for months and/or years, including books that have sold for very good money on the secondary market (not just drek). Two great examples from the past 6 months:

Marvel - All New Inhumans #5 1:100 Hip Hop Variant - Was sold out since release. Was selling for upwards of $300 raw on the secondary market. Turns up in a variant dump 1.5 years after its release date.

DC - Gotham Academy #5 1:25 Cloonan Incentive cover. Was sold out since release. Was selling for upwards of $90 raw on the secondary market. Over 2 years after its release Diamond has over 400 copies for sale.

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I actually said in my post that we also sometimes don't receive items we should.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That being the case, barring a mistake by Diamond (possible, but not likely)

Diamond not make a mistake????

Holy freakin' macaroni dude, there's a whole facebook page devoted to the mistakes they make. Go to a Diamond Retailer summit and wait for the Q & A portion from the audience. The customer service department for the company consistently has turn over because the people can't stand the constant daily barrage of fury they get over the mistakes the warehouse makes.

Probably 5 or 6 times since I've been opened over the last few years, I've gotten a small stores entire order packed within MY order. Usually just a couple of hundred dollars worth of books. "Oh, just keep it." is what they tell me. "Thank you for letting us know though".

They make plenty of mistakes.

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Diamond not make a mistake????

Holy freakin' macaroni dude, there's a whole facebook page devoted to the mistakes they make. Go to a Diamond Retailer summit and wait for the Q & A portion from the audience. The customer service department for the company consistently has turn over because the people can't stand the constant daily barrage of fury they get over the mistakes the warehouse makes.

Probably 5 or 6 times since I've been opened over the last few years, I've gotten a small stores entire order packed within MY order. Usually just a couple of hundred dollars worth of books. "Oh, just keep it." is what they tell me. "Thank you for letting us know though".

They make plenty of mistakes.

:cloud9:

Sorry for bumping this and sorry if this question has already been answered, but I have a quick question. Is there any way to determine if a comic variant is a retailer incentive, and if it is, by what ratio? For example, how do people know that Thor 705 Artgerm Virgin variant cover is a 1:100?

7 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Sorry for bumping this and sorry if this question has already been answered, but I have a quick question. Is there any way to determine if a comic variant is a retailer incentive, and if it is, by what ratio? For example, how do people know that Thor 705 Artgerm Virgin variant cover is a 1:100?

If it's after the fact, I just look at mycomicshop.com They usually have all of that info listed in an easy to read format.

4 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

If it's after the fact, I just look at mycomicshop.com They usually have all of that info listed in an easy to read format.

Agreed! That's what I have been doing. They are pretty good at getting that information.

I was just curious to see if there was an actual way, or if I should just use other sources (like mycomicshop.com).

Thanks for the reply, Not A Clone

The only way to know for sure would be to have a Diamond retailer account, which will tell you. I don't know how well this information is maintained going back, but I would imagine Lonestar (Mycomicshop), since they had retail shops until 2013, has maintained their Diamond account, and their database, recording each incentive as they go.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

4 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Agreed! That's what I have been doing. They are pretty good at getting that information.

I was just curious to see if there was an actual way, or if I should just use other sources (like mycomicshop.com).

Thanks for the reply, Not A Clone

NP! The only way I can ever find all of the variant ratios ahead of time (reliably) is from my LCS. (Well at least for something that has a ton of variants like a lot of the ASM issues have been having)

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The only way to know for sure would be to have a Diamond retailer account, which will tell you. I don't know how well this information is maintained going back, but I would imagine Lonestar (Mycomicshop), since they had retail shops until 2013, has maintained their Diamond account, and their database, recording each incentive as they go.

7 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

NP! The only way I can ever find all of the variant ratios ahead of time (reliably) is from my LCS. (Well at least for something that has a ton of variants like a lot of the ASM issues have been having)

Thank's both of you! Really helpful :)

First off, I apologize for bumping an old thread.

As you can see, I'm brand new to the forum and have only been into the comic book scene for about the last 5 years or so.  I grew up with them just like most of you, I just didn't collect them. 

As someone who is relatively new to this hobby, I found this entire thread to be very helpful.  When I first started, I had not a clue what the 1:25, 1:100 numbers meant, so thank you for helping me to understand that.  While I was reading this thread, I couldn't help but notice that something was repeated several times and it went in the face of something I noticed the last couple of years.

Several posters said that actual print numbers would rarely, if ever, be divulged.  I am a Star Wars fan and wanted several of the variants when Star Wars was re-launched by Marvel a few years back.  It seemed common that most (not all) regular variants were 3000 and the sketch variants were 1500.  Again, not all of them.

Then when Action Comics hit their 1000 milestone, they did the same thing and announced edition sizes for the regular, virgins and sketch variants.  I don't recall the numbers, but they are easily accessible.  Another one is the Dark Nights: Metal #3 Finch variant as many places state that at only 975 (I point this one out because I have it).

I respect everyone's expertise in this thread and I'm curious of your take on this.  Are these numbers made up by the retailers that get the exclusives or are they from the publisher like Marvel and/or DC. 

Please don't be too hard on the new guy and excuse my noobi-ness.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, slynger said:

As you can see, I'm brand new to the forum and have only been into the comic book scene for about the last 5 years or so.  I grew up with them just like most of you, I just didn't collect them. 

As someone who is relatively new to this hobby, I found this entire thread to be very helpful.  When I first started, I had not a clue what the 1:25, 1:100 numbers meant, so thank you for helping me to understand that.  While I was reading this thread, I couldn't help but notice that something was repeated several times and it went in the face of something I noticed the last couple of years.

Several posters said that actual print numbers would rarely, if ever, be divulged.  I am a Star Wars fan and wanted several of the variants when Star Wars was re-launched by Marvel a few years back.  It seemed common that most (not all) regular variants were 3000 and the sketch variants were 1500.  Again, not all of them.

Then when Action Comics hit their 1000 milestone, they did the same thing and announced edition sizes for the regular, virgins and sketch variants.  I don't recall the numbers, but they are easily accessible.  Another one is the Dark Nights: Metal #3 Finch variant as many places state that at only 975 (I point this one out because I have it).

I respect everyone's expertise in this thread and I'm curious of your take on this.  Are these numbers made up by the retailers that get the exclusives or are they from the publisher like Marvel and/or DC. 

store variants release print numbers, ratio incentives do not

19 minutes ago, slynger said:

The retailer exclusive variants you're asking about have nothing to do with ratios or this thread. They are specially ordered by the stores, and have a minimum order threshold of thousands, which can be divided among different variants of the cover like sketch, virgin, etc.