• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 are DISTRIBUTION numbers, not PRINT RUN numbers.

301 posts in this topic

Hate to challenge the Emperor...

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

They're incentive / ratio numbers.

You've just said the exact same thing, using different words.

Read the post again.

Here, I'll just say it again: for every, say, 25 copies a retailer orders (and Diamond DISTRIBUTES to them), they qualify to receive OR purchase ONE (1) copy of the incentive...that is, Diamond will DISTRIBUTE a SINGLE copy of the incentive for every 25 copies of the regular they order.

They are NOT distribution numbers in the sense of how many TOTAL COPIES are distributed, no. They ARE, however, distribution numbers in the sense of how many copies can be distributed to INDIVIDUAL retailers.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

I understand the system completely.

What you are describing as: "Distribution numbers"

to define: ratio variants 1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 ect & their actual print run, needs a better term.

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Here, I'll just say it again: for every, say, 25 copies a retailer orders (and Diamond DISTRIBUTES to them), they qualify to receive OR purchase ONE (1) copy of the incentive...that is, Diamond will DISTRIBUTE a SINGLE copy of the incentive for every 25 copies of the regular they order.

They are NOT distribution numbers in the sense of how many TOTAL COPIES are distributed, no. They ARE, however, distribution numbers in the sense of how many copies can be distributed to INDIVIDUAL retailers.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

to define: ratio variants 1:10, 1:25, 1:50, 1:100 ect & their actual print run, needs a better term.

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

But his entire point is invalidated if he isn't allowed to invent and then use his own terminiology. :makepoint:

-J.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

But his entire point is invalidated if he isn't allowed to invent and then use his own terminiology. :makepoint:

-J.

"Scumbag Pot" calling the "Eccentric Know it all", Kettle black.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

-J.

With your history and reputation ....

I wouldn't go there, Lar. (thumbs u

-J.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

-J.

About time only took 3 pages to get some fire lol.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

-J.

-J.

My "history & reputation" is built on the backs of vindictive online lunatics like yourself.

Do your worst, I'll thrive....

You are a lying cheating scumbag trying to manipulate market on books you own.

It's SO transparent. it's embarrassing....

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

They're initial distribution numbers for regular weekly comic shipments, not total distribution numbers which would account for reorders, summit/convention giveaways, blowout sales, etc.

Regardless of what you call them, they are definitely not print run numbers, which is the main point.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

They're initial distribution numbers for regular weekly comic shipments, not total distribution numbers which would account for reorders, summit/convention giveaways, blowout sales, etc.

Regardless of what you call them, they are definitely not print run numbers, which is the main point.

regardless of what you call them, they are definitely not print run numbers, which is the main point

Yes, but still a lazy name.

Fix it Rock.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

-J.

-J.

My "history & reputation" is built on the backs of vindictive online lunatics like yourself.

Do your worst, I'll thrive....

You are a lying cheating scumbag trying to manipulate market on books you own.

It's SO transparent. it's embarrassing....

Yes, Larry. So says the guy who regularly commissions and sells worthless drek to unsuspecting masses.

So says the guy who started the lie on the Vader Down sketch variant that it "only" had 20 copies printed so that he could quickly gouge the clueless early adopters into paying thousands of dollars for the multiple copies that he was holding.

Your blatantly racist and homophobic Twitter rants are also legendary. Or did "online lunatics" hack your account and post that vitriolic garbage for you?

Should I keep going or are you "thriving" enough yet?

But yes, go right on ahead continuing to believe that I have any need , interest or time to "manipulate " the market on the single copy of books that I own and will never sell. (thumbs u

-J.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

There's no "lazy error", Larry, and there's no need for the vulgarity. If you'd red what I wrote correctly in the first place, you wouldn't have needed to respond like that. It's not difficult to understand.

You didn't understand, no need to take it out on others.

You could give an estimate in the form of an estimate of X number of variants printed with a error of X over and X under.

Think of chomicron as polling data and the ratios as sample sizes. Or something. I'm not great at math. But I didn't do that terrible in statistics. Someone will get what I'm trying to say and explain it better.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

Yes. The ratios describe how the incentives are distributed, not how they're printed. 1:25 means "1 incentive available to the retailer for every 25 regular copies ordered."

Those ratios mean nothing else.

Great post.

Wrong description.

Distribution numbers?

Hardly.

Read the post again.

Ohhhh, "I" get it Rock,

Use your words...

C'mon now you preachy .

Fix your lazy error.

-J.

-J.

Oops. :blush: Not quite the sympathetic response you were expecting, huh? Color you embarrassed. Why'd you delete Larry's reply from your response?

In any event, Jay, no one "invented" their own terminology. The information is right there, laid out for everyone to see and understand for themselves. If you have any factual, documented proof to counter anything said, please do. Not the "I've got the proof!" which only turns out to be an anonymous "retailer friend" who "confirmed" what you claimed.

Stay away from the provocative language and tone, the personal commentary, and just contribute something positive to the dialogue. If you can't, just choose not to post about the subject. Thanks.

You could give an estimate in the form of an estimate of X number of variants printed with a error of X over and X under.

Think of chomicron as polling data and the ratios as sample sizes. Or something. I'm not great at math. But I didn't do that terrible in statistics. Someone will get what I'm trying to say and explain it better.

The problem is that estimates like that are trying to tie a string of soggy spaghetti to a bunch of Jell-O. For estimates to be reasonable, they have to be based on some sort of concrete information...and, as I've said elsewhere, it is very appealing, because it is so simple, to try and apply those incentive distribution ratios to the print runs, but they have nothing whatsoever to do with print runs, and never have.

Publishers print as much as they want, for their own (unrevealed) reasons. But we know for a documented fact that they don't print incentives "to order" or "to the case", because of the frequent sales of those books after the fact by Diamond to retailers. Example: New Avengers (2005) were some of the first official "incentive" variants. I own about 30-50 copies of #4, #5, and #6, which were, if I remember correctly, 1:17, 1:16, and 1:15. I bought those directly from Wizard, when they were getting rid of their warehouse stock in 2007. How did they come across those copies? Wizard wasn't a retailer. They weren't ordering hundreds and thousands of copies of the regular books...and retailers certainly weren't giving them to Wizard.

No, Wizard made a direct arrangement with Marvel, and Marvel printed them up for Wizard.

I own perhaps 30 copies of House of M #1, the Quesada Scarlet Witch variant (love that cover.) It was, I think, 1:20 or 1:25. Where did I get them? The only retailers in 2005 who would have ordered enough regular copies to get these incentives were customers like Midtown, Mile High, etc....and that variant was a HOT book. There weren't many retailers who would have ordered 600 to 750 copies of the regular book, only to give all their incentives to Wizard. How did Wizard get them?

Answer: they bought them directly from Marvel. Or, they bought them after the fact from Diamond.

And that scenario is repeated all the time.

Even when there's exclusive store variants of 200 or 500 copies, nobody can say for sure how many there really are. What's to stop the guy who runs the printing press from making an extra 10 or even 50 for himself? I'd bet that some dude making $10 an hour sees the 1:1000 ratio on the work order is taking a few home at the end of his shift.

And before you can say something like "it's all supervised" I'll give Justice League #51 as Exhibit A

So if I'm understanding this correctly, it works like this. For the sake of simplicity let's just assume that there are only 7 comic stores in the whole world that order from distributors. There is a new 1:100 variant.

Store 1 orders 100 copies.

Store 2 orders 100 copies.

Store 3 orders 50 copies.

Store 4 orders 50 copies.

Store 5 orders 50 copies.

Store 6 orders 25 copies.

Store 7 orders 25 copies.

400 copies were ordered by the stores. If we look at 1:100 as meaning "for every 100 books printed there is one incentive copy" we would think that there should be 4 incentive copies total available from these 7 stores. However, that is incorrect. There are actually only 2 available from the stores because only 2 of the stores ordered enough copies to get one of the incentives.

It seems like using the faulty logic probably gives us a number closer to reality for a 1:10 variant than a 1:100 variant since it is much more feasible for stores to order 10 copies as opposed to 100.

Or everything I just said could be complete trash.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, it works like this. For the sake of simplicity let's just assume that there are only 7 comic stores in the whole world that order from distributors. There is a new 1:100 variant.

Store 1 orders 100 copies.

Store 2 orders 100 copies.

Store 3 orders 50 copies.

Store 4 orders 50 copies.

Store 5 orders 50 copies.

Store 6 orders 25 copies.

Store 7 orders 25 copies.

400 copies were ordered by the stores. If we look at 1:100 as meaning "for every 100 books printed there is one incentive copy" we would think that there should be 4 incentive copies total available from these 7 stores. However, that is incorrect. There are actually only 2 available from the stores because only 2 of the stores ordered enough copies to get one of the incentives.

It seems like using the faulty logic probably gives us a number closer to reality for a 1:10 variant than a 1:100 variant since it is much more feasible for stores to order 10 copies as opposed to 100.

Or everything I just said could be complete trash.

Huh. Looks like I didn't submit my post. Ah well.

In any event, what I said was, that's (mostly) true, but it's not relevant to what the publishers print. Yes, 2 copies would be all that are available from retailers. But the publishers print what they want, irrespective of the number needed to meet the incentive, other than to establish a floor for the minimum amount of copies needed...which, again, no one but Diamond and the publisher knows.

It's true that "If we look at 1:100 as meaning "for every 100 books printed there is one incentive copy" is faulty reasoning. Absolutely. That's not at all what that number means, and never has. That ratio is an ordering ratio, not a printing ratio. It has nothing at all to do with the print runs of EITHER book.

Hey Rock,

just a quick thought...what if for example Amazing Spider-Man #? sold this month Diamond received 80,000 orders. I would believe that Diamond would insure that they have 800 Copies of a 1:100 Variant available even though like you said the ratio should not be considered an easy divide calculation.

Maybe this is why we see highly sought after variants making their way to 3 packs and whatnot?

Edited by Sleepindeath